• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA stream of consciousness thread

244 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, malvin said:

The ones that i recall coming like that originally are typically on thin wax type paper (at least in my collection) not mylar/clear.  attached that you can flipped over.  I think my Dan Brereton Black Terror pages were like that.  I just checked my CAF and it looks like I just scanned the OA and didn't bother scanning the overlay.  It's translucent and large art so I didn't want to bother to scan and stitch it.

Malvin

Ah, thanks for the description. I can see where wax paper would be preferable, since the mylar would yellow over time.

7 hours ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Ah, thanks for the description. I can see where wax paper would be preferable, since the mylar would yellow over time.

Found an example where it's on clear overlay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000AD-NEMESIS-THE-WARLOCK-PAINTED-ORIGINAL-ART-CARL-CRITCHLOW-PROG-724/264879299114?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095853%26meid%3Db9ffd528f98940a88be0fb7528e53d7e%26pid%3D100903%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D20%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D264879299114%26itm%3D264879299114%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2499334&_trksid=p2499334.c100903.m5276

And Mylar doesn't yellow as far as I know (thats the whole point of putting it in mylar sleeves I thought, it's archival)

Malvin

1 hour ago, malvin said:

Huh, that looks nice. Thanks for finding and posting the pics. It looks like I’m not the only crazed collector who has mulled the idea. 

Duh, of course it’s archival. My brain fails me sometimes.

45 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Huh, that looks nice. Thanks for finding and posting the pics. It looks like I’m not the only crazed collector who has mulled the idea. 

Duh, of course it’s archival. My brain fails me sometimes.

I don't think that was done by a collector.  the artist or letterer probably did it as part of the process.  Probably more common for painted pages, I can see the artists just painting the panels not worrying about word bubbles.

I think this page of mine is the same:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1109948

I just scanned it with the overlay and didn't bother with another scan with the overlay flipped over.

Very cool.  I do think an overlay can be a good "compromise" solution if done right.  When I acquired this cover, it came with its overlay for the title and world balloon (Garney's doing, I believe), and I love being able to enjoy both versions with a flip of the hand:  https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1583520

Edited by exitmusicblue

11 hours ago, malvin said:

I don't think that was done by a collector.  the artist or letterer probably did it as part of the process.  Probably more common for painted pages, I can see the artists just painting the panels not worrying about word bubbles.

I think this page of mine is the same:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1109948

I just scanned it with the overlay and didn't bother with another scan with the overlay flipped over.

What would be the process for creating the overlay, if you have the OA and a copy of the book itself? How do you get clean scanned word balloons correctly positioned on the Mylar sheet to line up? Where do you get the right size Mylar, or do you cut it yourself? The easier the better, I am not a fan of spending my time doing “arts and crafts”.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

What would be the process for creating the overlay, if you have the OA and a copy of the book itself? How do you get clean scanned word balloons correctly positioned on the Mylar sheet to line up? Where do you get the right size Mylar, or do you cut it yourself? The easier the better, I am not a fan of spending my time doing “arts and crafts”.

A long time ago (when I only had 1/10th the pages I do now) I considered doing it to my Quantum and Woody page (CAF Link here) another collector sent me instructions (which I just tried to find and couldn't).  I never did finish it.  The steps are what yo would expect:

- Take a high res scan of the comic

- scale it up to 11x17 print it out

- get an 11x17 transparency (that's where I got stuck, I had to buy them in packs of 100, which I was not willing to do)

-  and then stick on the word balloons on the transparency.

There are pros that do it obviously but if it is just a fun page where you enjoy the dialog, then it's not worth hiring a pro

Malvin

9 minutes ago, malvin said:

A long time ago (when I only had 1/10th the pages I do now) I considered doing it to my Quantum and Woody page (CAF Link here) another collector sent me instructions (which I just tried to find and couldn't).  I never did finish it.  The steps are what yo would expect:

- Take a high res scan of the comic

- scale it up to 11x17 print it out

- get an 11x17 transparency (that's where I got stuck, I had to buy them in packs of 100, which I was not willing to do)

-  and then stick on the word balloons on the transparency.

There are pros that do it obviously but if it is just a fun page where you enjoy the dialog, then it's not worth hiring a pro

Malvin

Looks like potentially delicate work. I would probably have characters talking out of their nose or chin (or way worse).

Dropped my well deserved morning attaboy comments on some nice pieces on CAF 

I really enjoy seeing pieces that fit in a collector’s gallery nicely, the dark side of me also enjoy it when people with questionable reputations get the public shunning when they post their killer pieces... you know pieces that would normally get 20 or so comments, when they post get 4 or 5... it’s the collector’s penalty box!

I know, Cap would be disappointed in me.... I could use a good ol’ Cap motivational speech right now...

I’d need to search up that cool Kirby 70’s Cap vs Red Skull commission. Those piece were  “gold, Jerry! GOLD!”...

Wonder if Mandel wrote that line?

49 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

Dropped my well deserved morning attaboy comments on some nice pieces on CAF 

I really enjoy seeing pieces that fit in a collector’s gallery nicely, the dark side of me also enjoy it when people with questionable reputations get the public shunning when they post their killer pieces... you know pieces that would normally get 20 or so comments, when they post get 4 or 5... it’s the collector’s penalty box!

I know, Cap would be disappointed in me.... I could use a good ol’ Cap motivational speech right now...

I’d need to search up that cool Kirby 70’s Cap vs Red Skull commission. Those piece were  “gold, Jerry! GOLD!”...

Wonder if Mandel wrote that line?

If he shows up and gives you that motivational speech...I’ll smoke whatever you’re trying.

Would you rather have 10 pieces worth $100,000 each, or 100,000 pieces worth $10 each?

I’ve always been a quality over quantity kind of collector. The reason I ask is because a friend of mine has an extensive Disney collection. His house is FILLED with it! He says the collection is worth a million dollars. 

I occasionally see “what if” type questions, such as would you trade your entire collection for a grail piece or pieces. 

26 minutes ago, Timely said:

Would you rather have 10 pieces worth $100,000 each, or 100,000 pieces worth $10 each?

I’ve always been a quality over quantity kind of collector. The reason I ask is because a friend of mine has an extensive Disney collection. His house is FILLED with it! He says the collection is worth a million dollars. 

I occasionally see “what if” type questions, such as would you trade your entire collection for a grail piece or pieces. 

I think most of us would not trade our entire collection for someone else's (with the condition that you keep it, and not sell it to cash out) 

Malvin 

1 hour ago, Timely said:

While I think the example is a little too extreme, I would probably go with 100,000 pieces. When it comes to art, “value” doesn’t matter much to me, so much as whether I like it or not. In a lot of 100,000 pieces, I can virtually guarantee that I will find more than 10 pieces I like at least as much as the high value pieces, even if my taste isn’t apparent to others. Now if the 100,000 are utter cr*p , then the analogy isn’t a fair one; but out of 100,000 of art by real artists? Yea. 

Edited by Rick2you2

5 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

While I think the example is a little too extreme, I would probably go with 100,000 pieces. When it comes to art, “value” doesn’t matter much to me, so much as whether I like it or not. In a lot of 100,000 pieces, I can virtually guarantee that I will find more than 10 pieces I like at least as much as the high value pieces, even if my taste isn’t apparent to others. Now if the 100,000 are utter cr*p , then the analogy isn’t a fair one; but out of 100,000 of art by real artists? Yea. 

I mean, we are talking $10 pieces.   Its going to be crraaaappp by definition :insane:

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I mean, we are talking $10 pieces.   Its going to be crraaaappp by definition :insane:

That is why I felt the example was too extreme. But what about $500-$1,000 pieces instead?

Edited by Rick2you2

2 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

That is why I felt the example was too extreme. But what about $500-1,000 pieces instead?

Sure.   Everyone's going to have a different answer.   Some people will want a single, million dollar piece.   Some will want extreme quantity.   Most will want something in between.

I'd probably go for something in the 30 pieces worth 33k ea kind of range.     Maybe 20 pieces worth 50k?   Something in there. 

Edited by Bronty

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Sure.   Everyone's going to have a different answer.   Some people will want a single, million dollar piece.   Some will want extreme quantity.   Most will want something in between.

I'd probably go for something in the 30 pieces worth 33k ea kind of range

But don’t forget, there is a difference between “value” and “interest.” It isn’t the “ value” to me which matters too much, and I am not just being contrarian here. Look at the guy (Judas Hell?) here who loves buying those Baronness drawings. I doubt they will have the “value” of published art in the long run, but that is what he likes. Similarly, someone on eBay has been selling his collection of Batman on gargoyles he put together with a lot of love. I really admire that effort, just like the man with the cheap Disney works. Those are the hearts of collectors.

Edited by Rick2you2

27 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

But don’t forget, there is a difference between “value” and “interest.” It isn’t the “ value” to me which matters too much, and I am not just being contrarian here. Look at the guy (Judas Hell?) here who loves buying those Baronness drawings. I doubt they will have the “value” of published art in the long run, but that is what he likes. Similarly, someone on eBay has been selling his collection of Batman on gargoyles he put together with a lot of love. I really admire that effort, just like the man with the cheap Disney works. Those are the hearts of collectors.

There isn't enough time to cover every possible permutation of collecting, but I think that theoretically we are being asked where we'd park our million bucks - in a few pieces we think are awesome and are valued highly by the market, or in a truckload of pieces that we may value highly but are not valued highly by the market.

Your POV seems to be 'I'll take the quantity', and that's fine and a valid POV - but it doesn't mean that the guy who lusts after mainstream pieces is "wrong" or "less of a collector."    It also doesn't mean that the guy currently buying less expensive art wouldn't buy more expensive art if he could, or that he's "more" of a collector simply because he's limited by means.

We are all doing this a little differently and there's room for everybody.     

I know where West is coming from as the logistics of even storing and accessing 100,000 different pieces would give me a frigging headache.     That's... 'completely taking over your house and possibly your life' kind of quantity.    I have maybe 400 paintings and maybe 500-1000 works on paper.     That already feels like a lot, for me.    The idea of 100,000 pieces needs to be thought through.    That's like having a home library so large you can never find your favorite books.

Edited by Bronty

This is a fun one to think about.  For me, some breadth is a good thing, because I feel nostalgia for more than a few artist/characters.  I gravitate towards flashy stuff that'd appreciate in or at least retain value, but I also love finding lower-end pieces at a bargain that pound-for-pound pack a real (nostalgia) punch.

Am currently at around 60 pieces of OA; can imagine getting up to 80-100 or so, but regularly curating/shedding as needed.  

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

There isn't enough time to cover every possible permutation of collecting, but I think that theoretically we are being asked where we'd park our million bucks - in a few pieces we think are awesome and are valued highly by the market, or in a truckload of pieces that we may value highly but are not valued highly by the market.

Your POV seems to be 'I'll take the quantity', and that's fine and a valid POV - but it doesn't mean that the guy who lusts after mainstream pieces is "wrong" or "less of a collector."    It also doesn't mean that the guy currently buying less expensive art wouldn't buy more expensive art if he could, or that he's "more" of a collector simply because he's limited by means.

We are all doing this a little differently and there's room for everybody.     

I know where West is coming from as the logistics of even storing and accessing 100,000 different pieces would give me a frigging headache.     That's... 'completely taking over your house and possibly your life' kind of quantity.    I have maybe 400 paintings and maybe 500-1000 works on paper.     That already feels like a lot, for me.    The idea of 100,000 pieces needs to be thought through.    That's like having a home library so large you can never find your favorite books.

Everyone collects in their own way; I have no problem with that and never did. But if someone wants to fill their house with a million bits of Disneyana, he may very well be getting as much pleasure as the curator of 10 selected, expensive pieces— value be damned. It isn’t so much the quantity as the personal enjoyment someone gets. In my case, I like variety of style, not so much about raw quantity. For preferred artists, more than one, but still, variety.