• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA stream of consciousness thread

244 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2020 at 2:40 AM, Bronty said:

We’re not talking about 30 years ago Michael.   I’m not sure that you’d have any success with today’s $10 pieces.

23 € (without shipping) for vintage Gen13 OA bought in 2020 :bigsmile: :

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1637438

3 hours ago, vodou said:

That's awesome! But to play...you gotta go with "all in" number ;)

Some of the stuff that sold on the last ComicLink...yikes, it could make this category too.

image.thumb.png.bfeed210cd1755f6dbd20bd75e06ee3e.png

image.thumb.png.1ac28d65852856b2e4a832e5e536c135.png

I’d love to know who’s dumping all that FCA art. It’s crashing the secondary market and yet no one who’s “invested” seems to give af. I guess it was all...what do you call it Vodou?... play money. 

10 minutes ago, vodou said:

I don't know what it was called, but I'm calling it: :headbang:opportunity:headbang: and selectively sweeping up ;)

In that thread drift about bb cards and d&d it’s what Bronty calls “‘Who cares’ money.” That’s the term I was looking for. I guess it was all “Who cares” money put into MP. 

19 minutes ago, John E. said:

In that thread drift about bb cards and d&d it’s what Bronty calls “‘Who cares’ money.” That’s the term I was looking for. I guess it was all “Who cares” money put into MP. 

Yeah, I didn't bite on that because: it's not. On almost all these pieces you can see the Felix's prices in the scans. Major losses are being taken. I'd imagine that this is not fun for the consignor. But it may well be born of financial necessity: The Four D's.

16 hours ago, vodou said:

That's awesome! But to play...you gotta go with "all in" number ;)

Considering I also bought a bundle of art with it, add 16 € (half the total shipping cost) for shipping. :bigsmile:

7 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Considering I also bought a bundle of art with it, add 16 € (half the total shipping cost) for shipping. :bigsmile:

I'm a dork with this, re: cost basis, and actually pro-rate shipping per piece by % of total value (assuming roughly equal size/weight for all package contents).

If there are going to be multiple covers and variants for every issue, eventually covers might not contain the premium when compared to regular pages that we are used to seeing. They will of course be worth more because they are covers and they tend to be well done. But an interior narrative-important full page splash might eventually be worth just as much as a cover by the same artist because it’s the only one and it is also “cover quality”.

6 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

If there are going to be multiple covers and variants for every issue, eventually covers might not contain the premium when compared to regular pages that we are used to seeing. They will of course be worth more because they are covers and they tend to be well done. But an interior narrative-important full page splash might eventually be worth just as much as a cover by the same artist because it’s the only one and it is also “cover quality”.

I definitely agree with that take.  Especially against the backdrop of an overall market that has shrunk as it has, a 1 of 4 variant cover seems very unlikely to hold the same appeal that 1 of 1 covers held in the past.

I can see situations where there may be a single variant cover that rises above the others (maybe a special guest artist or a particularly eye-catching take, whatever the case may be), but on the whole, it seems like a scenario where the premium that covers have traditionally commanded gets diluted.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:59 AM, cstojano said:

https://www.danielmaghen.com/fr/nouvelles-planches-originales_page1.htm

Never heard of any of these books, but these prices... Anyone know the Grzegorz Rosinski market and whether it can absorb several million Euros worth of art?

These are the ones that aren't sold yet (there was a pre-sale with different PDF's circulating).  He's hugely popular in France and Belgium. 

15 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I think this nibbles at the edge of a Larger Truth: the comic art collectors of the present and future - of new now and future publications - will be much more critical of the art itself, not just the nostalgic pull of a particular title/character/issue and it's associated imagery "from back in the day" (of one's youthful Golden Age).

The lovefest for Tradd's Silver Surfer, is that really going to translate into a seismic shift in new/renewed interest for all Marvel, all SS (past, present, future)...or will it mostly be contained to TRADD SS art? Compare that to Moebieus's Silver Surfer 30 years ago...are people interested in that more for Moebius or Silver Surfer/Marvel/80s in general? I think a Moebius Silver Surfer original tends to enter collections of Marvel/Silver Surfer art more than a Moebius collection. Meanwhile, I think a Tradd Silver Silver original tends to enter existing collections of Tradd. See the difference? As such...covers, one or twenty, will be judged against each other more on the basis of the art itself IMO. Nobody is biking down to 7/11 and turning the spinner rack anymore....so most/all of what comes off that dynamic in forming later collecting mentality is probably lost too.

6 hours ago, fenip said:

These are the ones that aren't sold yet (there was a pre-sale with different PDF's circulating).  He's hugely popular in France and Belgium. 

The Mysteries of Supply and Demand of European Comic Art continue to confound North American collector :)

Not a snipe, we just really don't get it, including me and I'm more than a little biased in favor of the European aesthetic too, but I couldn't tell you why one thing is 2,000 and another is 20,000 (by two different artists of similar talent and ability to do great sequential storytelling).

8 minutes ago, vodou said:

The Mysteries of Supply and Demand of European Comic Art continue to confound North American collector :)

Not a snipe, we just really don't get it, including me and I'm more than a little biased in favor of the European aesthetic too, but I couldn't tell you why one thing is 2,000 and another is 20,000 (by two different artists of similar talent and ability to do great sequential storytelling).

This exactly. I really like the art but couldn't begin to the guess the pricing structure. 

fenip, thanks for responding. So do I take these are the leftovers then that even made it to the public?