• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA stream of consciousness thread

244 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, rlextherobot said:

Trying to resist the urge to refresh the tracking info on an OA package that has been sitting in a local sort fedex sort facility (outside the US) for 24 hours. It'll arrive when it arrives. 

Set up an email alert on the FedEx tracking page, and they notify you immediately upon an update in status.

If covid kills the movie industry and forces all films to be smaller budget less effects and location heavy, the super hero hype that has brought many buyers into the game will die out. We will see Entertainment become more stratified as pop culture becomes more niche and specialized as opposed to oversized and widely shared. We will switch out Avengers style cultural event shared entertainment that unites people across multiple bands, classes, and cultures for unique limited focus entertainment that won’t have the same engaging and unifying effects we are used to from big tent poll productions.

The effects will be devastating for our global conversation as we lose the shared language of entertainment (a core aspect of traditional 1st world culture). The effects of this shift on collectibles like comic books and comic art will be gradual but eventually devastating. Losing the readers of new material would be an insignificant loss in comparison.

As movie theaters (and by extension big budget location driven films) go so goes our shared cultural touch stones, and with it the much of the desire to own these unique objects and pieces of history we all collect. We lose them the clock ticks faster, we keep them the pace is slowed.

5 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

If covid kills the movie industry and forces all films to be smaller budget less effects and location heavy, the super hero hype that has brought many buyers into the game will die out. We will see Entertainment become more stratified as pop culture becomes more niche and specialized as opposed to oversized and widely shared. We will switch out Avengers style cultural event shared entertainment that unites people across multiple bands, classes, and cultures for unique limited focus entertainment that won’t have the same engaging and unifying effects we are used to from big tent poll productions.

The effects will be devastating for our global conversation as we lose the shared language of entertainment (a core aspect of traditional 1st world culture). The effects of this shift on collectibles like comic books and comic art will be gradual but eventually devastating. Losing the readers of new material would be an insignificant loss in comparison.

As movie theaters (and by extension big budget location driven films) go so goes our shared cultural touch stones, and with it the much of the desire to own these unique objects and pieces of history we all collect. We lose them the clock ticks faster, we keep them the pace is slowed.

word.

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I don't believe the industry, or shared big-budget entertainment, will die. It's hurting now, yes, but once the masses get their vaccine, they will be "dying" to get out and rejoin the world again. They'll want movies, and past normalcy. I don't know how long it will take to happen, but somebody will step in to fill the void. Theaters will open again, and movies will be made. I don't know if superhero stuff will stay popular, but big budget movies will come again...eventually. Or not, but I think they will.

Edited by BuraddoRun

4 hours ago, zhamlau said:

When dinosaurs went extinct, it led to a flowering of new bird and mammal species.

When the Tower of Babel fell, yes there was no longer a common language, but there was a flowering of different cultures.

The end of “Ma Bell” led to the relatively rapid and cheap development of cell phones.

Would there be anime and manga if the US lost WW II? Or was it at least partially a product of US cross- cultural pollination of our comics and cartoons?

I am not that gloomy about it. I think we are more likely to end up with more shows on TV, directly or indirectly affected by comics, which then produce more comics. And the variety, unleashed from the strictures of creating giant “tent pole” movies, is more likely to result in more creativity to find profit, and a lot of it.

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

As movie theaters (and by extension big budget location driven films) go so goes our shared cultural touch stones, and with it the much of the desire to own these unique objects and pieces of history we all collect.

"You will own nothing and love it."

5 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

I don't believe the industry, or shared big-budget entertainment, will die. It's hurting now, yes, but once the masses get their vaccine, they will be "dying" to get out and rejoin the world again. They'll want movies, and past normalcy. I don't know how long it will take to happen, but somebody will step in to fill the void. Theaters will open again, and movies will be made. I don't know if superhero stuff will stay popular, but big budget movies will come again...eventually. Or not, but I think they will.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

When dinosaurs went extinct, it led to a flowering of new bird and mammal species.

When the Tower of Babel fell, yes there was no longer a common language, but there was a flowering of different cultures.

The end of “Ma Bell” led to the relatively rapid and cheap development of cell phones.

Would there be anime and manga if the US lost WW II? Or was it at least partially a product of US cross- cultural pollination of our comics and cartoons?

This will come later. Much later.

I am not that gloomy about it. I think we are more likely to end up with more shows on TV, directly or indirectly affected by comics, which then produce more comics. And the variety, unleashed from the strictures of creating giant “tent pole” movies, is more likely to result in more creativity to find profit, and a lot of it.

I’m “kicking the tires” on 2 minor pieces, and I’m curious what others might think. Neither piece is a “must have”, and neither one is expensive in hard dollars.

1. The pencil page for an inked, published page I own, which is overpriced by a few hundred bucks.

2. The published, inked page of one I own that was by a different inker (over the same e-pencils) and not published. I already have examples of the published inker’s work in my collection, but it would be cool to have both.

I could also walk away from both of them and spend the money elsewhere, or buy both and blow my future spending habits for a while. For this exercise, let’s skip those alternatives. What would you do? 

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I’m “kicking the tires” on 2 minor pieces, and I’m curious what others might think. Neither piece is a “must have”, and neither one is expensive in hard dollars.

1. The pencil page for an inked, published page I own, which is overpriced by a few hundred bucks.

2. The published, inked page of one I own that was by a different inker (over the same e-pencils) and not published. I already have examples of the published inker’s work in my collection, but it would be cool to have both.

I could also walk away from both of them and spend the money elsewhere, or buy both and blow my future spending habits for a while. For this exercise, let’s skip those alternatives. What would you do? 

That's an easy one for me - skip them both. Something else will turn up. 

-- Mark

Go with your gut and I imagine you'd already have the pieces by now if your gut immediately said "buy" ... skip and build the war chest for something that is a clear buy. I deal with this from time to time ... usually when I haven't bought something in a while and need an art fix. 

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I'd be pretty quickly trying to get those pencils, since I'm neurotic and the idea of only having "half" of a page gives me mild anxiety. If it doesn't bother you, then I don't see any real reason to buy either since you have the page in question already in some form.  

Edited by rlextherobot

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

Go with your gut and I imagine you'd already have the pieces by now if your gut immediately said "buy" ... skip and build the war chest for something that is a clear buy. I deal with this from time to time ... usually when I haven't bought something in a while and need an art fix. 

My gut just got involved this morning when the pencil piece showed up. The other one won’t be around very long. 

One thing I hate are non-buying regrets. There have been several times I have passed on a minor piece, and to this day, kick myself over it.

But yes, I am going through a form of withdrawal.

1 hour ago, rlextherobot said:

I'd be pretty quickly trying to get those pencils, since I'm neurotic and the idea of only have "half" of a page gives me mild anxiety. If it doesn't bother you, then I don't see any real reason to buy either since you have the page in question already in some form.  

I enjoy the “technical” aspect of collecting, so comparisons matter to me in ways that are different than just the appearance of a final product. But, it can add up.