• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA stream of consciousness thread

244 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, vodou said:

Man, I don't like going this negative 

agreed, and I hope I'm not coming off that way.    But the fact is readership is extremely limited and things have been tried to increase circulation.   But you sell what you sell every month, and for drawing in young readers at a discounted price you have free comic book day.    

For the old farts like us they can and should charge us $4 a book if they can give us something we actually give AF about because its not easy to rope in hordes of readers jaded from reading 40 years worth of the same stories rehashed over and over.

Then again... if we have Sal Buscema do the art.................... :idea:         :kidaround:

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I think that's wildly optimistic.     I mean hey, maybe I'm dead wrong and its a smash hit but even if it is, for how long?   Three months until you start bleeding money when all the 55 year olds remember they are 55 again?

Again, as a creative idea I think its cool.    As a financial proposition of "lets sell lots of comics at a discounted price" I think if it worked, you'd already have seen it.   Its not a completely original idea.    Budget comics (disney penny pinchers and probably others I'm not aware of) were tried.   They don't work.

I think its a wonderful idea.    Just at $3.99 or $4.99 is all.

Let me ask you a question.

If your target market is 55 year olds as you said (with lots of money relative to young readers)... why are you discounting?   They don't give AF about $2 vs $4.     They just want something they want to read.

This is not my idea or what i was proposing, but again I think its getting pointless to discuss further here.

Edited by zhamlau

4-18 million in free advertising?     Oh dude.    You are pulling this completely out of your butte at this point.   I'll let it go.

Edited by Bronty

3 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

all while looking like the good guy to everyone?

Zhamlau wants the comics created that personally he wants to read at the price he personally wants to pay, got it ;) 

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Man, I don't like going this negative but...do these even exist anymore - in numbers that matter to a publisher?

If you can justify printing any direct market books next month, you can justify something like this that actually has a chance to generate excitement and positive press/marketing for the overall corporation (that would vastly outstrip the value of any comic sales if you think about it).

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Oh dude.    You are pulling this completely out of your butte at this point.   I'll let it go.

Well as long as were not making it personal. Could just leave it at "I dont agree, but would be interesting to see."

2 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Well as long as were not making it personal. Could just leave it at "I dont agree, but would be interesting to see."

OK fair point.   Sorry about that.

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

Got my first MtG original art today. Partially funded by a crypto art piece sold yesterday (for x18).

Bizarro world.

congrats.  Share the piece?

What's it like at the Heritage Live auction? How many people come in person? Does it tend to be the same folks every time? How does Halperin make his presence evident? Do they have the pieces ready for winners to take at the end?

6 minutes ago, RBerman said:

What's it like at the Heritage Live auction? How many people come in person? Does it tend to be the same folks every time? How does Halperin make his presence evident? Do they have the pieces ready for winners to take at the end?

Sparsely attended - 2 dozen

Some regulars per geo

Not sure if Jim H attends

Yes, the art is there to pickup (at least for the ones I attended in LA)

On 2/22/2021 at 12:40 AM, TheLostDreams said:

Some dudes that did great wash work (thinned india ink to get various shades of grey)...without a doubt Steve Ditko's Warren work...Frazetta was amazing with this technique and so was Dave Stevens...

Speaking of, latest Frazetta pickup:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1707080

I think I can see it in the man's hair...