• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA stream of consciousness thread

244 posts in this topic

Be still my heart... when looking at Terry Austin’s inks

digging on the far out art of The Tradd

someone I don’t have an example of but have been circling it with interest is an artist who named after a beer.... but I don’t drink, that may be why I’m conflicted

whats Micheal Golden’s Golden age... could it be Bronze?

Edited by gumbydarnit
can't spell

This isn’t thread worthy, but I have a question. What is the general consensus of having word balloons taken off (and put on an overlay or something like that)? I have a Lim/Austin What If page with Mephisto and Surfer, and I made the mistake of looking behind a couple loose balloons, and found the art continues. Now I’m conflicted, because it’s a lot of great dialogue between them, but the images would be even better without, especially panels 3/4. Opinions? I never “fix” or muck with art, and I always appreciate the art/dialogue as a whole on older art. If I’m a horribly evil lunatic for even asking, I humbly apologize, and will quietly scourge myself off to the side.F2D8AAB0-C5EC-4497-A3A1-DDF8807AA59B.thumb.jpeg.cc2c5b759cd88ce856cdce3da91e3609.jpeg 

2 hours ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

This isn’t thread worthy, but I have a question. What is the general consensus of having word balloons taken off (and put on an overlay or something like that)? I have a Lim/Austin What If page with Mephisto and Surfer, and I made the mistake of looking behind a couple loose balloons, and found the art continues. Now I’m conflicted, because it’s a lot of great dialogue between them, but the images would be even better without, especially panels 3/4. Opinions? I never “fix” or muck with art, and I always appreciate the art/dialogue as a whole on older art. If I’m a horribly evil lunatic for even asking, I humbly apologize, and will quietly scourge myself off to the side.F2D8AAB0-C5EC-4497-A3A1-DDF8807AA59B.thumb.jpeg.cc2c5b759cd88ce856cdce3da91e3609.jpeg 

Nothin' wrong with bringing it up, that's what this thread is for!  

Really nice page.  You'll get varying opinions on what to do.  Fwiw, I say keep as is if there's any possibility you'll move it in the future.  If it's permanent collection or bust, then do as you'd like. 

3 hours ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

I would put them back where they belong. This is sequential art; it helps tell a story. To me, removing the word balloons is like cutting the nuts off a bull because you like the look of a clean underside. 

Somewhat more controversially I would also let a restorer replace missing book titles, house ads and trade dress which have become lost with age. Some pages are designed with those things in mind to be added later, particularly with covers (not so much with publication notices at the bottom of pages). So, omitting them can affect the look and feel of the art. Of course, they have to be “real”, not like the Brothers shenanigans. I decided not to buy one piece of art several years ago because the artist was concerned that adding the title would violate copyright laws (no, it doesn’t).

Edited by Rick2you2

I tend to agree about leaving the stats on the art. Another idea that might serve your purpose ... if the stats are coming loose or have fallen off, you could have them removed and reapplied professionally and while they are off take a high quality picture to preserve the hidden art to accompany the original with full stats. Just an idea. 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I would put them back where they belong. This is sequential art; it helps tell a story. To me, removing the word balloons is like cutting the nuts off a bull because you like the look of a clean underside. 

Somewhat more controversially I would also let a restorer replace missing book titles, house ads and trade dress which have become lost with age. Some pages are designed with those things in mind to be added later, particularly with covers (not so much with publication notices at the bottom of pages). So, omitting them can affect the look and feel of the art. Of course, they have to be “real”, not like the Brothers shenanigans. I decided not to buy one piece of art several years ago because the artist was concerned that adding the title would violate copyright laws (no, it doesn’t).

They are all still there, I just peered under a few that are raised at the edges. I’m listening, and you all have made solid points. 

It’s sequential art, and should be left as intended to tell the story. That’s a great point. I will leave the page as-is. I was probably going to leave it alone, and I’m not planning on selling—replacing Austin inks would be tough— so I will not cut the nuts off that bull. 😁

Also, on further thought, writers are artists, too (that should have occurred to me), so I will respect their work here. Thanks for the thoughts, all!

22 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

They are all still there, I just peered under a few that are raised at the edges. I’m listening, and you all have made solid points. 

It’s sequential art, and should be left as intended to tell the story. That’s a great point. I will leave the page as-is. I was probably going to leave it alone, and I’m not planning on selling—replacing Austin inks would be tough— so I will not cut the nuts off that bull. 😁

Also, on further thought, writers are artists, too (that should have occurred to me), so I will respect their work here. Thanks for the thoughts, all!

I actually think if you take them off and put them on an overlay professionally there is no impact on value.  I have a few pages that came like that.  It's a pain (e.g. I have to put it in mylar sleeves more gingerly) but I think you get the best of both worlds.  You see more of the art and you still have the dialog.

Malvin

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Apropos... https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=391585

36 minutes ago, malvin said:

I actually think if you take them off and put them on an overlay professionally there is no impact on value.  I have a few pages that came like that.  It's a pain (e.g. I have to put it in mylar sleeves more gingerly) but I think you get the best of both worlds.  You see more of the art and you still have the dialog.

Malvin

Do they come attached, or just nestled together? I’ve never seen a page where anyone has lifted the dialogue balloons before, even though I’ve read it mentioned.

Even though I’ve been talked into putting down the knives, I should say I’m not overly concerned with value. I bought it cheaply 10-20 years ago, and love the page, so the chances of deciding to sell it are low. I really just wanted to see the entirety of the art unblocked.

3 hours ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

That is really nice work. Your art? Did you do the restoration? 

Nope, belongs to the Brothers: http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=301628

I'm not into restorations myself.  Getting a color copy cover for my Marvel Mystery Comics #2 (acquired via trade years back) is the closest I've gotten, though that doesn't count in the eyes of the grading overlords: https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=43655&GSub=289

Edited by exitmusicblue

21 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Do they come attached, or just nestled together? I’ve never seen a page where anyone has lifted the dialogue balloons before, even though I’ve read it mentioned.

Even though I’ve been talked into putting down the knives, I should say I’m not overly concerned with value. I bought it cheaply 10-20 years ago, and love the page, so the chances of deciding to sell it are low. I really just wanted to see the entirety of the art unblocked.

The ones that i recall coming like that originally are typically on thin wax type paper (at least in my collection) not mylar/clear.  attached that you can flipped over.  I think my Dan Brereton Black Terror pages were like that.  I just checked my CAF and it looks like I just scanned the OA and didn't bother scanning the overlay.  It's translucent and large art so I didn't want to bother to scan and stitch it.

Malvin

19 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Nope, belongs to the Brothers: http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=301628

I'm not into restorations myself.  Getting a color copy cover for my Marvel Mystery Comics #2 (acquired via trade years back) is the closest I've gotten, though that doesn't count in the eyes of the grading overlords: https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=43655&GSub=289

Heh. I have the exact same type of cover for issue 5. The interiors are white, but someone decided to nix the cover. Great idea, past collector!