OA stream of consciousness thread
0

161 posts in this topic

25,953 posts
1 hour ago, vodou said:

Howling Commandos: Who's your favorite (not including Fury)?

giphy.gif

Edited by Bronty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
144 posts
On 10/18/2020 at 5:28 PM, cstojano said:

This exactly. I really like the art but couldn't begin to the guess the pricing structure. 

Like in the US, it depends on popularity and scarcity ... 

You can't understand the prices if you don't know the european (well, mostly french) comic market and his fads.

Grzegorz Rosinski is the artist of the long lasting series Thorgal (1977-2018) and a some well received mini series and storys arcs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,599 posts
On 10/18/2020 at 3:34 PM, Bronty said:

giphy.gif

You know whats funny, ive actually watched a lot of t20 IPL cricket. Its kind of enjoyable actually. Test im sure is more pure but I find t20 more enjoyable to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,953 posts
1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

You know whats funny, ive actually watched a lot of t20 IPL cricket. Its kind of enjoyable actually. Test im sure is more pure but I find t20 more enjoyable to watch.

I'm sure it is.    I don't doubt its popular in other countries for a reason.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,589 posts

Waiting on my Jeehyung Lees to arrive from across the sea...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,603 posts
42 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Also, very envious of our boardie friends who can make it to the LA con.  Having a newborn = zero mobility...

congrats on the newborn!

Malvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts
1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

Also, very envious of our boardie friends who can make it to the LA con.  Having a newborn = zero mobility...

Welcome to Thunderdome!  And if it's not your first, then Welcome Back!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,141 posts
1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

Also, very envious of our boardie friends who can make it to the LA con.  Having a newborn = zero mobility...

Congrats on the newborn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,589 posts

Will confess, the updated RogueTech (BattleTech) mod has kept me and many other mech jockies away from our usual hobbies.

But got my first Timm and some Jeehyung Lees coming in, can't wait.  Nothing to break the bank too much.

For years on the boards I could never remember who was who among boardies.  Now it's great seeing the same familiar names on here day in, day out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,599 posts

There eventually will need to be a breakdown of different periods pertaining to original art that is separate from the way comic books are broken down by era (Gold, Bronze, Copper, etc).

It will need to be based on not only the physical size and story content, but also for the mechanical process by which the art was created and stored.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,589 posts
5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

There eventually will need to be a breakdown of different periods pertaining to original art that is separate from the way comic books are broken down by era (Gold, Bronze, Copper, etc).

It will need to be based on not only the physical size and story content, but also for the mechanical process by which the art was created and stored.

 

Well put...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,599 posts
17 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Well put...

You think? I actually rewrote the section going from art to comics. It still feels clunky. You get the idea but it doesn’t have a nice flow to it. I always struggle with wanting my writing to sound informative and authoritative without being artificially ornate and “wordy”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,634 posts
5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

You think? I actually rewrote the section going from art to comics. It still feels clunky. You get the idea but it doesn’t have a nice flow to it. I always struggle with wanting my writing to sound informative and authoritative without being artificially ornate and “wordy”.

I do a lot of rewriting, so permit to suggest that you should just say what you want to say, and during review, try shrinking it by at least 20%. That will likely knock out more than 20% because stray phrases and minor thoughts also will fall by the wayside.  
 

I think we already have too many “ages” for comic books: what’s next? The Tungsten Age? Maybe wedge the idea into the existing structure in order to keep the division numbers down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
646 posts

I think the "post-Covid age" will suffice to describe substantial changes in comics.  If a metallic analogue is required, how about "the rust age" ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts

PS5 pre orders, and now the release day experience (today!) is very much like an OA drop.  Goes very fast, very frustrating, and I come out empty handed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
173 posts
17 hours ago, Andahaion said:

PS5 pre orders, and now the release day experience (today!) is very much like an OA drop.  Goes very fast, very frustrating, and I come out empty handed.  

That's why I didn't even bother. It's hard to be patient, but I can wait until 2021 to pick one up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67 posts

There are a lot of posts about the $$value on the back of pages being ironically low. Here’s the opposite.

I saw this Ex Machina page at Tony Harris’s table (Baltimore CC, maybe 2006?) with a back of the page pencil cost of $800. It was way out of my budget at the time, but I returned to look at it several times. Alas I couldn’t swing it.

A couple years later it popped up on eBay for $400. I bought it.

 

2E5CE442-8AFA-4EB0-B3BF-3985F2A8EC29.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,634 posts
On 11/3/2020 at 7:15 PM, Will_K said:

I think the "post-Covid age" will suffice to describe substantial changes in comics.  If a metallic analogue is required, how about "the rust age" ??

I saw a book at Barnes and Noble calling this the Steel Age. Definitely not a precious metal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0