• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics Verification Authority (CVA)
1 1

18 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Jeffro. said:

Yeah, we've known about this for years. Lots of fun mocking threads about it. 

:roflmao:sorry, spur of the fingers thing and didnt search it up. Saw it on a social media post and on a new slab at that so looks like they are still in business.

1 hour ago, bobotski said:

:roflmao:sorry, spur of the fingers thing and didnt search it up. Saw it on a social media post and on a new slab at that so looks like they are still in business.

If it was a 9.8 FF 202 on FB, it was actually my book. Clink let me know it hit CVA, so I paid the $8 for the sticker...

The person who posted it, said he picked it up the other day, which is false. It just ended on clink last night. (shrug)

2 minutes ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

I’ve never even SEEN a gold

Me neither.

And wouldn't an "Extraordinarily Exceptional example for the grade" suggest that the book was under graded?

-bc

I had a PGX 9.9 that I sent to an auction house. They took a look at it and felt that it really was a 9.9. So they suggested the CVA sticker. I said, sure, why not. It didn't matter in the end, the book sold for about as well as a PGX book could. My only experience with the CVA thing. 

1 hour ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

If it was a 9.8 FF 202 on FB, it was actually my book. Clink let me know it hit CVA, so I paid the $8 for the sticker...

The person who posted it, said he picked it up the other day, which is false. It just ended on clink last night. (shrug)

Your book is fine and I actually like it. First time I heard about CVA so I looked it up, perhaps I should open up a business to grade their silver and gold sticker.

55 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Any one got a book with the gold sticker?

""no sticker will be affixed to the holder if the CGC Graded comic book does not possess eye appeal and superior structure...""

Extraordinarily Exceptional:insane:

So they grade the aesthetic looks of the book and the case? To quote Joe Biden, "Oh, c'mon man!!"

1 hour ago, bc said:
1 hour ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

I’ve never even SEEN a gold

Me neither.

And wouldn't an "Extraordinarily Exceptional example for the grade" suggest that the book was under graded?

-bc

No, well maybe no anyway ;)  The premise behind CVA was certain comics present better even though they are technically the same grade. It's supposed to reflect superior eye appeal. I think we've all seen examples of two slabbed comics with the same grade but one just looks better than the other one.

Edited by Jeffro.

My interpretation of it is that there are "grades within grades".  If the 9 range can have steps like 9.2, 9.4,....9.9, why can't other grades.  So maybe you have an 8.5 that is an actually anywhere from an 8.3 to an 8.7.  CVA is trying to make the distinction that you have a "high" 8.5 (slightly better than 8.5, but not enough to get to 9.0).  And if you look at the price shift for some mega key books at higher grades, maybe a 0.2 difference in the 8 range is thousands of dollars.  But it still comes down to what a seller and a buyer agree is the correct price.