• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You say hot tomato, I say Manara
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Spider-Woman #1 Cover Variant (2014)

Milo Manara 22 x 30

HA European Comic Art Signature Auction October 3-4

Just under 20K with BP going down in a few days. A lot of controversy out there from the easily offended types. Manara I think is 75 now and still pushes a lot of buttons. For me the right ones. I’m negotiating with Mrs. GrapeApe now about where to hang this baby.

Just now, grapeape said:

Milo Manara 22 x 30

Just under 20K with BP going down in a few days. A lot of controversy out there from the easily offended types. Manara I think is 75 now and still pushes a lot of buttons. For me the right ones. I’m negotiating with Mrs. GrapeApe now about where to hang this baby.

I wish I can own this.. :cloud9:

I would love to know at the end of auction if you got to take it home.

By the way I have a thread in modern on Manara.

Just now, SamPool said:

I wish I can own this.. :cloud9:

I would love to know at the end of auction if you got to take it home.

By the way I have a thread in modern on Manara.

That's a great thread.  Longest-running thread I have on these boards is in the modern section (Artgerm), hehe.

5 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Milo Manara 22 x 30

So brave.

Right next to the framed divorce papers?”—Gene

I suspect Mrs. Ape soon to be Ms. Maiden Name would take the frame but leave the divorce papers along with a personal note and pen.

”Just sign the papers A- #0£€.”

Edited by grapeape

When I posted this, I had hoped we would comport ourselves as ladies and gentlemen of culture.

That we would look to our better selves and discuss the finer points of this European masterpiece.

Nah.... Actually this is exactly what I thought would happen. I poured the gasoline and my friends lit the  🔥 

On 9/30/2020 at 10:46 PM, grapeape said:

Milo Manara 22 x 30

$30K was my max bid (w/BP). It sold for $37,500  Is Mrs. GrapeApe measuring the wall?

Edited by Matches_Malone

34 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

$30K was my max bid (w/BP). It sold for $37,500  Is Mrs. GrapeApe measuring the wall?

Haha no...she told me, “ do what you want.” The same way mom let me touch that hot stove when I wouldn’t listen as a kid. I read between the lines and laid off...I could’ve justified at $23K so good on you for trying that much harder. 
37 K probably paying premium due to the “controversy” involved.

I really did like it though Manara a legend man. Honestly 30K should’ve been enough I’m really off on me preestimates now😢

33 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Haha no...she told me, “ do what you want.” The same way mom let me touch that hot stove when I wouldn’t listen as a kid. I read between the lines and laid off...I could’ve justified at $23K so good on you for trying that much harder. 
37 K probably paying premium due to the “controversy” involved.

I really did like it though Manara a legend man. Honestly 30K should’ve been enough I’m really off on me preestimates now😢

haha.Happy wife.....I tried to cut the bid at $33K, but I was too late.  I feel I may regret not trying again...but I dont think I would have gone over $40K.  

On to the next one...:wishluck:

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

To be candid, I am not impressed. I find the pose to be more weird than sexy, and the apparent attempt to imitate a spider’s pose? Eh.

I have seen some of his other work which I have liked, and in the cross-referenced thread in particular. This? Not so much.

That's a salient point. I obviously admire and adore much of the masters earlier work. This one is stunning and provocative but ultimately makes me uncomfortable to hang on the wall with Mrs. Ape giving me the evil eye. That's not unusual with some of his great work.  I liked it but it took on some crazy bidding. I do think as one of my friends told me privately it was a chase for the "signature" but is it Manara's best work for that amount? This was a fun day I liked a few pages but didn't get anything. Lately I've been underestimating the final hammer price so..... hey we keep trying. Good point Rick2you2.

Props to MatchesMalone who went hard but came up short(thumbsu