• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You say hot tomato, I say Manara
1 1

30 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, grapeape said:

...but is it Manara's best work for that amount?

No. That would be Click and similar 1980s stuff that Catalan brought over then, all for less too.

It's Marvel Superhero so at least two people got swept up in that, likely people that wouldn't ever go after Manara Click etc.

IMO.

1 minute ago, vodou said:

No. That would be Click and similar 1980s stuff that Catalan brought over then, all for less too.

It's Marvel Superhero so at least two people got swept up in that, likely people that wouldn't ever go after Manara Click etc.

IMO.

Of course I think that's exactly right. Still props to Manara has us talking about him. He's a treasure for sure at least in my eyes.

13 hours ago, grapeape said:

That's a salient point. I obviously admire and adore much of the masters earlier work. This one is stunning and provocative but ultimately makes me uncomfortable to hang on the wall with Mrs. Ape giving me the evil eye. That's not unusual with some of his great work.  I liked it but it took on some crazy bidding. I do think as one of my friends told me privately it was a chase for the "signature" but is it Manara's best work for that amount? This was a fun day I liked a few pages but didn't get anything. Lately I've been underestimating the final hammer price so..... hey we keep trying. Good point Rick2you2.

Props to MatchesMalone who went hard but came up short(thumbsu

The alternative thread showing art not likely seen before, from Heavy Metal, has some classic tea drinking black and white’s that I think are lovely. Not provocative, just elegant.

Hopefully not too off topic... I got one piece attributed to Manara. I chose it because it wasn't a nude, which was harder to find than I might have thought; it happened to also be a splash. It's reputedly from Jolanda de Almaviva #35, though I have not been able to procure a copy of that to prove it. 

CcCtaX3.jpg.bb34427a095a5b3d10ed0bef009353aa.jpg

47 minutes ago, RBerman said:

Hopefully not too off topic... I got one piece attributed to Manara. I chose it because it wasn't a nude, which was harder to find than I might have thought; it happened to also be a splash. It's reputedly from Jolanda de Almaviva #35, though I have not been able to procure a copy of that to prove it. 

CcCtaX3.jpg.bb34427a095a5b3d10ed0bef009353aa.jpg

Correct issue #35 page 56, that's what the notation lower right hand corner means.

^ I get that the western may be easier to hang so I can understand that decision, but my choice would go the other way.  

If I buy Manara, I’m buying a nude, and the more risqué  the better.   I don’t want a Dave Stevens drawing of a guy in a suit, or an Elvgren landscape.   These are artists known for the female form!     

Edited by Bronty

9 minutes ago, Bronty said:

If I buy Manara, I’m buying a nude, and the more risqué  the better.   I don’t want a Dave Stevens drawing of a guy in a suit, or an Elvgren landscape.   These are artists known for the female form!     

Same here. I’d love a panel from the original Click or Butterscotch. But have settled on a Kama Sutra image (1997, quite risqué and but not the detail of his 80s classics) 

On 10/10/2020 at 11:41 AM, RBerman said:

Yes, Manara is not known for his horses. But it didn't cost much, and I can show kids/family/friends my collection without awkwardness.

With a little searching, you might find a Manara doing something with horses which is definitely not something to show kids/family/friends.