• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats cheaper Marvel Omnibus or Masterworks
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone im trying to be able to read original marvel comics without having to open my collection i was wondering which was cheaper Marvel omnibus or masterworks like i saw that buying the Howard the duck and Werewolf by night omnibus was cheaper then when i wanna read like Golden Age Sub Mariner its better to buy the masterworks because the omnibus isnt all the golden age comics its just like 3 or 4 comics and a few other comics instead of the entire series which would you guys prefer or do you think i should buy omnibus if it has the entire series and then buy masterworks for the ones that dont include the comics i want? 

Omnibi have much larger print so I like seeing the artwork blown up.  I don't study the market but it seems most Omni's are available below their original prices.

I own a couple dozen of both, and greatly prefer the Omni's, but that is strictly a personal preference.

There are many Masterwork volumes available as even cheaper trade paperbacks. Also, an even cheaper option still for reading material would be to look at Comixology digital collection sales, especially with Black Friday on its way.  Last year I saw a lot of heavily-discounted Golden Age and Pre-Code volumes there.  I picked a few up for 69p / $1 each.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

There are many Masterwork volumes available as even cheaper trade paperbacks. Also, an even cheaper option still for reading material would be to look at Comixology digital collection sales, especially with Black Friday on its way.  Last year I saw a lot of heavily-discounted Golden Age and Pre-Code volumes there.  I picked a few up for 69p / $1 each.

I like to collect things and put it on a shelf I don't like digital things much anymore but thank you for your suggestion

Edited by Blackmassangel

24 minutes ago, Blackmassangel said:

I like to collect things and put it on a shelf I don't like digital things much anymore but thank you for your suggestion

The cheapest physical method would be to buy the Epic Collections.

The masterworks can get very pricey, especially the out of print ones. 

I like the Omnibus format personally. I think they look the best on my bookshelf. They also seem to be reprinting many of the ones long out of print.

8 hours ago, piper said:

The cheapest physical method would be to buy the Epic Collections.

The masterworks can get very pricey, especially the out of print ones. 

I like the Omnibus format personally. I think they look the best on my bookshelf. They also seem to be reprinting many of the ones long out of print.

I find the Omnibus too large, bulky, and heavy for reading.  The Marvel Masterworks are best for me, and they look really cool on my bookshelves...especially the variant hardcovers, but they are pricey, as Piper stated.

Cost would depend a lot on which titles you're wanting to collect/read. There are many out of print volumes in both the MMW and Omnibus lines that effect not only minor characters, but also the big franchises like X-Men and FF, so I'd do a cost analysis by looking at completed sales on eBay to get an idea of what it's going to cost to put a run together. I personally like the omni's because of the oversize trim, and having so many stories all in one package, but I do admit that they can be very cumbersome, especially when the page count gets up to the 1500 page mark. Masterworks are much friendlier to the hands/wrists/neck while reading, but you're giving up some of the size that OHCs and omnis provid.

Marvel has recently been reprinting a lot of omni's, but there are still several volumes that are OOP, and no one knows when they'll return. But with the MMW's, print runs are low (particularly on the variants that maintain the original collection numbering, many of which are only printed in the HUNDREDS) and once those are sold out, they're sold out.

Piper's recommendation of the Epics is a good one, if you're not dead set on a hardcover format. But, again, many of these titles have gone out of print as well.

Basically, there's no simple way of determining which is going to be the cheaper format. It's 100% going to depend on which series you want to collect. Good luck!