• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GET A CLUE BINGO, let the games begin!
1 1

34 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, gregreece said:

Bonus square:

Walks by (without stopping) your wall full of 9.4/9.6 and 9.8's and says "mine are way nicer than that"

you gotta be kidding me.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

The word "Preview" is used by DC in Brave & The Bold #200, but what is actually contained inside the book is 15 pages of story which is not repeated in Batman & The Outsiders #1. 

The B&B200 preview starts with DC "INTRODUCING" (their word on the first page) the team, listing the roster, and then telling a full story with all of the characters.  

That's not a "preview" of a first appearance, that's a preview of an entire series, a preview of the kinds of stories that will be told each issue in the new title.  The first appearances of the characters/team occur in Brave & The Bold #200.

O4

By (literal) definition, a preview is a "view" that occurs "pre-" some event. 

Previews that show a few pages of a book that is about to be released, where those same pages are then included with the full story of that issue, are previews of a first appearance, not the actual first appearance event.

Teaser images and discussion of upcoming events are previews.

An advertisement of a book "on sale soon" is a preview.

By definition, the preview (earlier partial view) can't also be the actual event (actual full view).  The only exception is when something called a "preview" only happens that one time, the full event, during the preview. 

In those cases (such as B&B200), the word "preview" doesn't describe the one-time event, it is a preview of a whole series of events and the preview is the first one.

A full story - not included in the next issue - is a true appearance.

I'm not saying that previews are worthless... I'm saying they're not first appearances. 

Malibu Sun #13 should definitely be worth more than Malibu Sun #12.  Malibu Sun #13 has Spawn on the back cover.  But Malibu Sun #13 isn't the first appearance of Spawn.  It's an advertisement, a teaser for what Spawn looks like, and a preview of his first appearance coming in Spawn #1.

What is your opinion on ASM #365 being labeled as the 1st Appearance of Spider-Man 2099? It, like Capes #1 and Agents #6, have the same number of pages that later appear in their own debut issues, but the latter 2 are labeled previews. 

I've always been curious who made that decision, and why they contradict each other. Personally I think they're "just" previews. 

FWIW I have the Capes #1 and many of the ASM #365, so this is honest curiosity lol

22 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

What is your opinion on ASM #365 being labeled as the 1st Appearance of Spider-Man 2099?

I'd have to see the pages from ASM #365 and Spider-Man 2099 #1.  I don't have either in front of me right now. hm

But, to answer the question, I think that we'll eventually have a system that makes it clearer which books have previews and which are full appearances (not completely clear, but clearer) - and the market may not care, but I think there are too many inconsistencies in the way appearances are identified now and, like CGC did for grading, there will be a standard even if people still want to complain.

Edited by valiantman

On 9/30/2020 at 4:18 PM, bc said:

What if that person generates a "Bingo" ? Is there some kind of "celebration" ? 

-bc

You win a polybagged copy of X-Force #1