• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending an already graded and noted pedigree book in for press and regrade?

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

If you send CGC a book that has already been graded and been noted as being from a pedigree or collection, will CGC maintain and note in the new slab of the pedigree/collection? I realize there is no guarantee on the returning grade, but just want to make sure they don’t remove the notation. 

Also will they clean and press a pedigree book? It’s a book that would definitely benefit from that service. It was graded well over 10 years ago as a 9.0, but could definitely use a press.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Monstro said:
16 hours ago, joeypost said:

Yes they will clean and press a pedigree book.

Just mail it in the slab so the label doesn't get lost.

Thanks

... and don't forget to fill in the Pedigree info on the paperwork ... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

All good advice and true.

One thing bothers me a little though. Pressing, cleaning or intentionally altering any Pedigree book. 

Pedigree books are special because the original owner bought them off the newsstand and carefully stored them. Some are better than others but when I buy one, I am doing so because of this. 

I have seen a lot of pedigree books “altered” over the years. Other than the origin of the collection, the book is not in it’s original state. 

I know that the collecting community accepts this practice now. Weather you agree or not, the book is now altered. 

A real shame just so a little more money can be made off it. 

Your book now to do what you want with. I would hope that you would disclose this to a potential buyer when you sell it. 

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

One thing bothers me a little though. Pressing, cleaning or intentionally altering any Pedigree book. 

Pedigree books are special because the original owner bought them off the newsstand and carefully stored them. Some are better than others but when I buy one, I am doing so because of this. 

I have seen a lot of pedigree books “altered” over the years. Other than the origin of the collection, the book is not in it’s original state. 

I know that the collecting community accepts this practice now. Weather you agree or not, the book is now altered. 

Your book now to do what you want with. I would hope that you would disclose this to a potential buyer when you sell it. 

Agreed but I think most will not disclose this.

But if you get lucky, maybe GPA will have the book twice, such as ASM Annual 1.

There is a 9.6 and 9.8 Pacific Coast. I would think the 9.6 was pressed into the 9.8

61B895E7-E0EF-44DD-A6C5-44F554E2F6E1.png

On 10/3/2020 at 11:38 AM, Robot Man said:

Comic book collecting is a completely different beast nowadays. Leaving hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the table is not an option. 

On 10/2/2020 at 6:46 AM, jimjum12 said:

... and don't forget to fill in the Pedigree info on the paperwork ... GOD BLESS....

Do you need a certificate? I ask because I see some pedigree books floating around that don't come with one. Sure, the D copies are a bit obvious, as are the Eldon ones, but will CGC take care of autentifying or does the responsibility of that fall on you?

5 minutes ago, William-James88 said:
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 3:46 AM, jimjum12 said:

Do you need a certificate? I ask because I see some pedigree books floating around that don't come with one. Sure, the D copies are a bit obvious, as are the Eldon ones, but will CGC take care of autentifying or does the responsibility of that fall on you?

I assume the best method would be to ask CGC directly about the specific pedigree and the specific evidence required for that pedigree, as the evidence required might be different for different pedigrees.

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I only mention that because the book will be de-slabbed and raw when it hits the grader's desk ... so multiple redundancy is good in regards to the book's pedigree not getting lost in the shuffle. The label should serve as the certificate of provenance, but it won't be with the book in the grading stage.... especially important with Peds like Pacific Coast that have no identifying marks.  GOD BLESS....

On 10/8/2020 at 4:22 PM, Monstro said:

Comic book collecting is a completely different beast nowadays. Leaving hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the table is not an option. 

Fantastic. 

Go ahead, then. Let your greed get in the way of preserving comic book history. 

Pedigrees should NOT be pressed or restored. 

On 10/3/2020 at 10:38 AM, Robot Man said:

THANK YOU! 

:applause:

Personally, I think that any pedigreed book that is pressed, restored, or otherwise altered should LOSE it's pedigree status. 

Why? 

Because it's no longer in the same state as it was when it left the collection. It's not the same book and never will be. 

I would agree but it will never happen. 

The hobby and CGC have decreed that pressing and cleaning is now acceptable because it can’t be “detected”. Ironically, CGC now offers the service them selves. If this is not a conflict of interest, I don’t know what is. 

Sadly, we live in a world where money trumps integrity. 

On 10/8/2020 at 5:22 PM, Monstro said:

You risk losing hundreds if not thousands if something goes wrong in the shipping or pressing/cleaning processes.  

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

You risk losing hundreds if not thousands if something goes wrong in the shipping or pressing/cleaning processes.  

Hitting a book with pressure, heat, and moisture. 

What could possibly go wrong? (shrug)

I have books pressed. But pedigrees, to me, are sacred ground. They are one of a kind. They are special. 

If you modify the book in anyway, through pressing or restoration or having it signed, then it's no longer the same book. We should do our bests to preserve pedigrees. These books, IMHO, should remain in the same condition they were in when they left the original owner's possession. 

But money and greed have always trumped ethics and considerations for posterity.