• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obscure Covers by Well Known Artists!

11 posts in this topic

very cool thread idea

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Quasar issue gave it away immediately for me. :smile:

^^

I'm not familiar with any of those issues, but if they're all by the same artist, the Quasar is a dead giveaway of his identity.

On 10/2/2020 at 1:27 PM, Lazyboy said:

^^

I'm not familiar with any of those issues, but if they're all by the same artist, the Quasar is a dead giveaway of his identity.

Yep, those covers were (according to the details listed on mycomics.com) all at the LEAST inked by Todd McFarlene.  Todd was only a 'hired gun' for those covers, as I assume he had an interest in helping ALL Image publications to succeed.  So McFarlane ONLY did the covers on these issues, and other artists handled ALL of the interior pencil/ink work...

If the books were more valuable then THESE are ones I might consider sending to CGC, since I really only care about the covers! lol.

Also, Batman #423 makes for a GREAT slab since the cover is GORGEOUS, but the story itself is pretty lame.  The 'plot' just attempts to show batman's 'softer' side by first talking a guy out of jumping off a bridge to commit suicide, and then they show how caring BRUCE is, by having Batman send some injured kid? to the Wayne manor where Alfred helps him recover...  All in all, I find it a pretty forgettable story, attempting to illustrate the 'compassionate' portion of Batman/Bruce's personality, but it comes across as quite LAME, and not very subtle or nuanced...  So it's not a KEY issues, there's no villains, no big fights, just an AMAZING cover, and a boring? morality story. 

So Batman #423 is a PERFECT issue to slab, so you can just stare at that incredible cover image, and have a perfect excuse to NEVER actually read the book again :) 

Although I guess it is a comic book that was intended for kids ;) 

Edited by StreetPreacher

23 minutes ago, StreetPreacher said:

Yep, those covers were (according to the details listed on mycomics.com) all at the LEAST inked by Todd McFarlene.  Todd was only a 'hired gun' for those covers, as I assume he had an interest in helping ALL Image publications to succeed.  So McFarlane ONLY did the covers on these issues, and other artists handled ALL of the interior pencil/ink work...

If the books were more valuable then THESE are ones I might consider sending to CGC, since I really only care about the covers! lol.

Also, Batman #423 makes for a GREAT slab since the cover is GORGEOUS, but the story itself is pretty lame.  The 'plot' just attempts to show batman's 'softer' side by first talking a guy out of jumping off a bridge to commit suicide, and then they show how caring BRUCE is, by having Batman send some injured kid? to the Wayne manor where Alfred helps him recover...  All in all, I find it a pretty forgettable story, attempting to illustrate the 'compassionate' portion of Batman/Bruce's personality, but it comes across as quite LAME, and not very subtle or nuanced...  So it's not a KEY issues, there's no villains, no big fights, just an AMAZING cover, and a boring? morality story. 

So Batman #423 is a PERFECT issue to slab, so you can just stare at that incredible cover image, and have a perfect excuse to NEVER actually read the book again :) 

Although I guess it is a comic book that was intended for kids ;) 

But not *just* for kids, if the copy in the UPC boxes from Direct DC books at the time is to be believed.

On 10/2/2020 at 1:10 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Story has it that the Jim Lee cover for Valiant's H.A.R.D.Corps #1 was because someone at Valiant managed to snag Lee some tickets to see U2 at the time.

Must've been good seats because he did a gatefold!