• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extremely Newbie Here, Please Help

52 posts in this topic

What's up with the orange bic in all the pictures? Fire and comics don't mix!

7 hours ago, MeganB said:

My brother was n Avid collector all through his kid years, xxv he knows some of them are old n r worthy some $ but I honestly dont even know what to ask for any of them.. j have Amazing spiderman issue 1 but when I got it it was already to far gone 16203201980815854055507099196477.thumb.jpg.19b14578b7cf61430f5196a3b77ce2e4.jpg16203202347025601654326410508323.thumb.jpg.0003e65660f53fc248c4cebf56c83007.jpg16203202894273195701448566163898.thumb.jpg.b6d577eabecca9672c35df7fec63a30f.jpg16203203221658221124840098404685.thumb.jpg.0ef88550a201ae8f34340085441e90f6.jpg16203206011531790202647262534770.thumb.jpg.a05dfe3c8ae8b3e0e3de6965b643c1e1.jpgm16203206209349193426514675886230.thumb.jpg.f1293bb02b8c52d8ced55ca52ca91dc1.jpg

You got some fun stuff. I would definitely get that Amazing Spiderman Annual 1 graded. And the others you posted too, why not. Here is what I did to get my books graded and sold. I sent my books to mycomicshop.com and asjedvthem to send them to CGC (and CCS for pressing). When they are graded, they will be returned to mycomicshop and I can sell them on their site. They take a 10% commission but it's fine cause they handle everything and you get ALOT of people looking at your comics. 

That's exactly what I did and it is what I think you should to get the most money while doing as little effort as possible. If this was unclear and you want more info, send me a private message.

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

The markets gone completely haywire when CGC 0.5 copies are selling for $550 on eBay.

I had to look it up because I simply could not believe that to be true. But it is, HOLY SHIIIT

Here's the one I own and what I bought it for in 2012

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-amazing-spider-man-annual-1-marvel-1964-condition-vg/a/121209-11144.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

25 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I had to look it up because I simply could not believe that to be true. But it is, HOLY SHIIIT

Here's the one I own and what I bought it for in 2012

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-amazing-spider-man-annual-1-marvel-1964-condition-vg/a/121209-11144.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

It's really unfair that that book could get sent in and would get a 0.5.  And when I say unfair, I mean to the other existing CGC 0.5 copies in existence because it's in REALLY bad shape.

4 hours ago, Fisionbomb said:

To everyone hand writing lists of their collection, do yourself a favor and get CLZ.

What's a CLZ

4 hours ago, Fisionbomb said:

To everyone hand writing lists of their collection, do yourself a favor and get CLZ.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

I think you've gotten solid advice. 

The above link is the "spare a grade" section others mentioned.  For the most valuable books take clear pictures of the front and back cover and post them there. That will give you a baseline on the grade. 

In your situation I may not get them graded. It's true, grading will maximize value and you'll get the biggest return. But there is an upfront costs to you, paper work, packing and shipping and then of course waiting months before seeing your books again.  Does the additional profit offset the time and energy? 

The market is hot, demand is there, I would save the headache and sell them or consign. You'll have a good idea of their grade and value after using the spare a grade section.  

The hardest part about selling a large comic book collection is what to do with the 99% of comics that aren't worth much. 

I recently sold a large collection and ended up driving the bulk to about 5 different shops. Not every shop wanted all that inventory so I had to hustle a bit to figure out where to go. The best case, I got a $1 a book for about 800 books. In most cases I was offered $0.25 - $0.50 per book, but they didn't want them all.  No one was willing to take them all in one shot.  

I probably could have gotten more selling them 1 book at a time on eBay, but it wasn't worth the energy (and my wife was tired of our dining room table being used as a comic book processing center). 

The last thing I'll say is, for the ones not worth a ton, let your kids have some. Read them, play with them, beat them up. My kids are 8 and 3 (actually 4 tomorrow 😰).

Some of the 90s to modern stuff can get real adult, so go through it before you give it to them. But we read reprints of the old classic stories all the time. They have tons of books, we talk about the artists and the "lesson" (when there is one).  Honestly, one of the biggest reasons I'm collecting today is because my 8 year old was so interested in my old collection. It became something fun we could do together and at the end of the day, these funny books were made for kids.  

Just to throw it out there, hopefully it is allowed...

There are numerous Facebook groups related to comics, some of which are sales only, some are sales and discussion groups and some are discussion only, no sales allowed.

I have sold books on Facebook without issue, you need to post pics,  post an asking price, shipping cost, payments accepted, etc.

I only accept PayPal Goods and Services and ship everything Priority Mail which would be $8.00 for a Priority Mail envelope or $15.00 for a Medium Flat Rate Box, includes Tracking and $50.00 insurance which you may want to increase depending on the book.

The other key is that when you ship you have to be sure that the books and packaging are secure so the books will not be damaged during shipping, we can get to that if/when the time comes.

Here is some other info for you that may help...

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

http://www.teako170.com/terms1.html

http://www.teako170.com/terms2.html

http://www.teako170.com/terms3.html

http://www.teako170.com/terms4.html

On 5/6/2021 at 1:53 PM, MeganB said:

Ok good to know, so how much of a difference?! I already know its shot 

shot is relative. In amazing fantasy, people pay for sinlge pages and it would surprise you for hw much.

When I sold most of my collection, it was virtually all silver age with a few bronze. 12-15 cent comics, virtually all marvel.  When I started, I made similar presumptuous statements as yours. I thought my AF 15 introducing Spiderman to maybe be worth 4-5K. It wound up graded at a 5.0 and sold for over ten times that. BUT, I was not in a hurry and waited a year watching and learning as you are doing now. Time well wasted.  Value is based on demand. The stuff you have chucked out there doesn't have high demand. There are lots of copies like it. In terms of value, yes post .20cent books occasionally have value but not a bunch. Having them graded and slabbed wipes out most profit. 

Watch different sites, high grade, mycomics, metropolitan comics etc. Watch Ebay but only for books that have been sold.

You are not the only person with what appear to be "Old" comics.  Actually they are rather recent and that helps explain their condition.  Somebody's mom was locked out of the room. 

Edited by Glassman10

On 5/6/2021 at 1:12 PM, MeganB said:

Umm, So Yes I'm sure about tht, no my brother is not mad rich, he worked his off for every comic he had since he was little n lived in the US. but since he was stationed in Germany in the army he left them with my dad who let a large majority ruin So he 'YES GAVE THEM TO ME' SO I CAN TRY TO SELL THEM N MAKE US BOTH SOME $..                So if u have anymore rude comments u can take it elsewhere Thanks ✌

Thanks for making a wildly inaccurate inference. :eyeroll: