• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Illustrated Stories of the Operas: Carmen - RARE Gerber 9! Only 7 in Census $575 OBO
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Illustrated Stories of the Operas: Carmen - RARE Gerber 9! Only 7 in Census $575 OBO

VERY cool book. Essentially, Bernard Bailey tried a series of these, producing four - including Carmen - to sell at operas. Of course the idea tanked, and they're all pretty rare. 
Not only is this a Gerber 9, it's listed but not shown in the book – not even a white space!
(Also interesting is that there are different back covers.)
Feel free to Make an Offer. More pics if you want.
Paypal is best. Ship to US only, $15.50 + free insurance. (Plus cool freebies!) No returns.
[Due to the virus, I can only ship Mondays.]
Been selling on eBay since 1998 (comicsbymike) and at shows going back to 1986, collecting since age 6 (1974). I'm a good guy, you'll be happy. 

Carmen.jpeg

Carmen back - real.jpeg

Carmen label - real.jpeg

Edited by Mike Bromberg
Lowered the price.

49 minutes ago, Mike Bromberg said:

Illustrated Stories of the Operas: Carmen - RARE Gerber 9! Only 7 in Census $675 OBO

VERY cool book. Essentially, Bernard Bailey tried a series of these, producing four - including Carmen - to sell at operas. Of course the idea tanked, and they're all pretty rare. 
Not only is this a Gerber 9, it's listed but not shown in the book – not even a white space!
(Also interesting is that there are different back covers.)
Feel free to Make an Offer. More pics if you want.
Paypal is best. Ship to US only, $15.50 + free insurance. (Plus cool freebies!) No returns.
[Due to the virus, I can only ship Mondays.]
Been selling on eBay since 1998 (comicsbymike) and at shows going back to 1986, collecting since age 6 (1974). I'm a good guy, you'll be happy. 

Carmen.jpeg

Carmen back - real.jpeg

Carmen label - real.jpeg

Can you read the stamp and tell us? i love store stamps and dates etc....

7 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Very cool book and appreciate the back story! 

There were four of them total - this, Rigoletto, Faust, and Aida. 

Another odd thing is that the cover could be on white paper like this, or goldenrod (also with red and black ink)! It really looks strange! 

Edited by Mike Bromberg
Clarification that the different color paper was only for the cover, not the interior.

1 hour ago, Mike Bromberg said:

Another odd thing is that the cover could be on white paper like this, or goldenrod (also with red and black ink)! It really looks strange! 

I was looking through some on Heritage and noticed this.  There was a 9.0 with the goldenrod cover and an 8.0 with a nice crisp white cover. I was super confused and thought they graded a super faded cover as a 9.0 lol

2 hours ago, Nic8612 said:

I was looking through some on Heritage and noticed this.  There was a 9.0 with the goldenrod cover and an 8.0 with a nice crisp white cover. I was super confused and thought they graded a super faded cover as a 9.0 lol

Yeah, it was a weird run, for sure. No surprise it wasn't the most successful business venture ever. :^)