• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC shipping charges
2 2

15 posts in this topic

I am trying to understand how I can minimize the return shipping costs that CGC charges. Does anyone know if CGC charges by weight/value, or is there a quantity aspect to it (# of comics)? If quantity based, does anyone know those thresholds? 

I know I can always call CGC, but thought I would first ask people that have alot of experience with submitting.

6 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Here's what I do, just for your info and example.  Doesn't mean it's perfect.

I try to send 25 books in at a time, all the same tier.  That means only 1 outbound shipping charge but a lot of books.  Usually costs me $36 by priority, so $1.44 each.  It's also only one $5 admin fee spread over the 25 comics.

Be sure to have some type of membership to lower your grading costs.  The Elite level gets you 15% off.

Get a FedEx shipping account of your own.  It's free to get an account, no monthly fee.  I pay about $40 to have 25 comics shipped back to me, so that's $1.60 each.  You have to fill out and submit the CGC Shipping Form that allows and directs them to use your account.

If you have a lot of comics to grade, you might want to consider private insurance.  I have a policy that covers me up to $3,000 per shipment in transit.  That saves me money on outbound shipments, since I only have to insure for the deductible ($200).  It also insures my inbound, which generally are only covered for $100, I think.  It's not a negligible cost for the insurance, around $500 per year, but I save that in what would be separate insurance coverages per shipment within a 5 month period.  The rest of the year I'm in the black.  Plus it covers my general stock/collection, so that's a bonus to me.

200_d.gif

Hmm I might have to look into what the costs are for fed ex account and to see if it will be more cost effective in Canada doing it that way! Shipping up north sucks! 

the post office people hate when you have to jam a giant box into our igloos lol 

12 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

I am trying to understand how I can minimize the return shipping costs that CGC charges. Does anyone know if CGC charges by weight/value, or is there a quantity aspect to it (# of comics)? If quantity based, does anyone know those thresholds? 

I know I can always call CGC, but thought I would first ask people that have alot of experience with submitting.

You've got great feedback! to more precisely answer, shipping from cgc with FedEx of UPS is a $14 flat fee for 1 book, then $2 extra per book after that.... :foryou: 

up to 25 books as the feedback gave

CGC will only ship out 25 books or less in one shipping box, so after 25 books it'd be another shipping charge, but

If you're sending say 15 books, it's $14 for the first, leaving 14 books left, which would be charged at $2 a piece so $28

Plus the initial $14, and you get a $42 dollar total

That's just the basic math if you wanted to do the math, it can be hard to have 25 books of the same tier, as cgc also ships out tiers separately......

And those are the "basics" as long as you're in the U.S.A..

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
or less

That was only if you wanted to not set up other fed ex accounts or what not, but if you have a lot of books that might be the best route.

As far as straight up cgc is concerned with FedEx or UPS, it's $14 for 1st slab and $2 per additional and only up to 25 books per sub all the same tier 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You've got great feedback! to more precisely answer, shipping from cgc with FedEx of UPS is a $14 flat fee for 1 book, then $2 extra per book after that.... :foryou: 

CGC will only ship out 25 books or less in one shipping box, so after 25 books it'd be another shipping charge, but

If you're sending say 15 books, it's $14 for the first, leaving 14 books left, which would be charged at $2 a piece so $28

That's just the basic math if you wanted to do the math, it can be hard to have 25 books of the same tier, as cgc also ships out tiers separately......

This is exactly what I was looking for. Very helpful. Thank you. 

On 10/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Keep in mind, per CGC the prices of shipping is an estimate not set in stone.  They will charge you for the shipping upfront then back bill you on another invoice any shipping overages later.

You already know this, why did you omit it? :whatthe:

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

Keep in mind, per CGC the prices of shipping is an estimate not set in stone.  They will charge you for the shipping upfront then back bill you on another invoice any shipping overages later.

You already know this, why did you omit it? :whatthe:

As far as I know that has been corrected (shrug) 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

As far as I know that has been corrected (shrug) 

They only corrected back billing someone from November of last year.  I have not heard about them correcting anything else or addressing other people that were charged after the fact.

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

They only corrected back billing someone from November of last year.  I have not heard about them correcting anything else or addressing other people that were charged after the fact.

Good to know, I wasn't aware. My understanding of what they said that it can be corrected, but they didn't intimate that it was a regular thing.

My understanding at the time was that they had done it before but surely not 10-12 months back....

I assume that's why only one person was compensated. I had never heard of it happening before nor again @dena if this is a regular thing it needs clarification.

when I talked to them concerning that thread they said CGC might correct some wording, but as far as if they've done that, I'm not aware....

The Current way it stands that I've seen says nothing about them being "estimates", if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but only stated what I knew.....

Wasn't going to share things that may or may not still be in the "works" @Crops068 @dena