• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Department of Truth - Tynion, Simmonds, Bidikar

29 posts in this topic

#1 just came out this Wednesday. It's a fantastic read and I was shocked there wasn't a thread here for the book yet.

Lots of store and incentive variants and supposedly a 100k print run with everything. :o 

Anybody else pick this up? I'm definitely hooked. 

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/the-department-of-truth-1 

the-department-of-truth-1_25384a208b.jpg

Edited by Rhymenoceros

10 hours ago, Rhymenoceros said:

Why ruin a book with so many covers? You would think they turn down some of these, but I guess
they have no control over it.

I thought it would be good just reading the previews. 

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Why ruin a book with so many covers? You would think they turn down some of these, but I guess
they have no control over it.

I thought it would be good just reading the previews. 

I wouldn't say it's "ruined" the book but seems Tynion is likely riding the wave of his recent rise to comic "fame" and the increased demand for his books. Plus there were a TON of industry people tweeting about how great their sneak peak of #1 was for the months before release. If each retailer has say 500 or 1,000 copies of their variant(s), that of course adds to the print runs. If the 100k ish I heard is accurate, that's really not all that crazy with all the variants. I think the first print of East of West #1 and Saga #1 both had about 50k. So roughly double those. But it may not be very difficult to find a copy of the A or B cover for some time :)

Edited by Rhymenoceros

4 hours ago, Rhymenoceros said:

I think these are my 3 favorite covers, in order:

F-DeptofTruth_014_4770486a03cda2968c04355fe1648c90.jpg.5d00e0fb6980c8c500514d8a64b43263.jpgO-DeptofTruth_01_608b9bb079342facb81f65226371aaf2.jpg.a3dd7151e797d48073763fd0b1f3c8a4.jpgDEPARTMENT_OF_TRUTH_FOIL_1024x1024@2x_9ff29af020e23cb89a95236260b1020b.jpg.9e8e84b2aafad6016b0cf32dbdb2b198.jpg

Cover A and the Secret Cover are my favorites.  I do like that middle one there though, that one is spot on.

I am not a Peach fan so I will gladly pass on anything she does.

The 1st one imo is putting a lot of significance on the lady in red.  Not sure I agree with that, yet.

25 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Cover A and the Secret Cover are my favorites.  I do like that middle one there though, that one is spot on.

I am not a Peach fan so I will gladly pass on anything she does.

The 1st one imo is putting a lot of significance on the lady in red.  Not sure I agree with that, yet.

yeah, a lot of the variants are focused on her. We will see what happens!! 

6 hours ago, Rhymenoceros said:

I wouldn't say it's "ruined" the book but seems Tynion is likely riding the wave of his recent rise to comic "fame" and the increased demand for his books. Plus there were a TON of industry people tweeting about how great their sneak peak of #1 was for the months before release. If each retailer has say 500 or 1,000 copies of their variant(s), that of course adds to the print runs. If the 100k ish I heard is accurate, that's really not all that crazy with all the variants. I think the first print of East of West #1 and Saga #1 both had about 50k. So roughly double those. But it may not be very difficult to find a copy of the A or B cover for some time :)

Right its going to take awhile even the higher end variants will see some resistance at some point. As long as the book is good it wont matter.
I bought in dirt cheap so I am fine with way. I look at this like Jupiter's Legacy only alot more variants. My local shop had 4 variants of the book
which is alot for that shop and there was quite a bit of regular issues like maybe 75 or so.

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Right its going to take awhile even the higher end variants will see some resistance at some point. As long as the book is good it wont matter.
I bought in dirt cheap so I am fine with way. I look at this like Jupiter's Legacy only alot more variants. My local shop had 4 variants of the book
which is alot for that shop and there was quite a bit of regular issues like maybe 75 or so.

Yeah if it fizzled I will only be out cover price on both JFK and LHO covers. I am ok with that.

Not planning to buy anything other than the main cover, generally that is what I shoot for anyways.  Variant craze is mostly lost on me.

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Sounds about right. If ordering 50 - 75 the shop would have likely had the A & B cover, the 1:10s, 1:25s, 1;50 and the secret variant that was ratio'd about 1:10 with cover A. They might have ordered 100 to get the 1:100 variant as well. 

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Though I'm not a huge Tynion fan, the book definitely caught my eye. 

I enjoy the rough art in the book.  Templesmith-esque.  

Patrick

See I haven't read it, but when you Templesmith-esque now I am dreading it.
I have to have art blend with the story for me to really like it. I hate art that looks 
like my kid could do it. 

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I have to have art blend with the story for me to really like it. I hate art that looks 
like my kid could do it. 

I personally think it's a LOT better than Templesmith's style, which I don't really like. Dept of Truth is more messy with spray paint off-spray, splatters, and chalk line type stuff that adds to it... vs. I view Templesmith's as more distracting.

I agree Ben T. is probably the closest thing someone might readily be able to compare it to.. but far different and better IMO. 

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

like my kid could do it. 

I don’t like the Templesmith style, either, but it does fit this book well.  A good first issue.

9 minutes ago, Rhymenoceros said:

Supposedly this title has been optioned (or even further along), from the Toddfather's mouth himself:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-department-of-truth-to-be-a-tv-series-honest/

I hope we see this to air, or stream!

Oh my. Glad I grabbed some more third prints of #1 when I did last week.

47 minutes ago, Rhymenoceros said:

Supposedly this title has been optioned (or even further along), from the Toddfather's mouth himself:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-department-of-truth-to-be-a-tv-series-honest/

I hope we see this to air, or stream!

Man, this will be a good show if it happens.  Really enjoy the craziness of this book.

Awesome news! Tynion has been telegraphing this in his blog for a while now (great source of spec info if anyone is interested), and it looks like the Toddfather's comments are translating to sales on eBay now. Nothing crazy, but a few more copies being snagged.

Edited by kimik