• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior pages with excess paper on corner

16 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

IIRC, they will not grade a comic with this defect. I could be wrong.

Sure they will. But the paper must be folded back to its original position when it's submitted.

I don't think the extra paper has much (if any) effect on the grade, but for this particular example, they would definitely consider the damage done to that extra paper.

On 10/2/2020 at 5:31 PM, Lazyboy said:

Sure they will. But the paper must be folded back to its original position when it's submitted.

I don't think the extra paper has much (if any) effect on the grade, but for this particular example, they would definitely consider the damage done to that extra paper.

This particular example doesn't look like it was folded in, which is why I didn't mention that. You're right, though.

On 10/2/2020 at 2:31 PM, Lazyboy said:

I've been told similar for this situation. While the extra paper is Manufacturing, the tears that somehow resulted from it would count against the grade. I'd figured they would also be considered Manufacturing, but was told 'no'.

pPLhGtWl.jpgfr2ahX3l.jpgulDthvxl.jpg

On 10/2/2020 at 9:36 AM, Motor City Rob said:

I'm sure you guys have seen this before but how does CGC judge excess paper? I'm not sending in this particular comic, but it looks horrible. So tempting to trim. 

16016490325658654634732006401278.jpg

In a situation like this, I like to get out my scissors and very carefully...  put them down and fold the corner back in.  :devil:

I once saw a Tarzan #207 (1st DC) with an extreme example of this.  The entire lower right corner area had been folded easily 4" diagonally prior to trimming, so when unfolded I'm not certain even a magazine-size sleeve would contain the book.  I really wish I had bought that, as a curiosity -- most extreme case I've seen, and it's not too uncommon among magazine publishing.

I don't think the extra paper has much (if any) effect on the grade

Would definitely keep it from grading any higher than 9.2/4 if the rest of the book were near flawless I’d guess. Folding the excess paper back would keep the book from laying perfectly flat and grader note would probably point out really small flaws because of it

Over the years, I've had several of my subscription copies of magazines like Time and Sports Illustrated with folds like that.  If the overhang is more than around one-eighth inch of the trim size, I usually trim some off -- but I leave maybe one-fourth inch.  (Cutting to the trim size turns the situation into a simple dog-ear.)

I think for mags of no real value, it's a good compromise -- it reveals the manufacturing problem, but otherwise allows to flatten, and doesn't leave much overhang,

On 10/17/2020 at 10:05 PM, Phil Coulson said:

Ha, if that were my book I'd trim it, just being honest.  Not from a view of trying to cheat someone because I'll probably never sell any of my comics until I die, but I literally couldn't go to sleep at night after seeing that.

Prepare to never sleep again!

ep2.jpg.6c32d91012bc0cf877839b9151dc7639.jpg

:devil:lollollol:devil:

When I've submitted books with overhang like this, CGC folded in for me. 

I think I showed an example in the 2018 March Madness seeding round. 

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

3 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

When I've submitted books with overhang like this, CGC folded in for me. 

I think I showed an example in the 2018 March Madness seeding round. 

2017-12-13-0060.thumb.jpg.a77fd5e13cd849074ad3c612f06a2905.jpg
2017-12-13-0061.thumb.jpg.30603f16ceea367f3a9a4336b0af0748.jpg
2018-03-08-0008.thumb.jpg.b835e510c59e6950e9d28b1600f8e8c6.jpg