• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STOLEN: Hulk 181 CGC 9.6

54 posts in this topic

Just putting this out here in case anyone can help out.  I sent this book out to a fellow collector on 08/13/20 USPS certified mail from California.  It reached Boca Raton, FL on 08/17/20 then mysteriously dissapeared.  I called and called every day hoping to find it. Always getting the usual non-answers from the postal employees.  Finally on 09/20/20 they told me to stop calling and that consider the package lost and deal with it.   😓

The package was stolen from someone in Boca Raton Florida. I called the local police on the off chance they would assist and was basically told that I had no proof a theft had occurred. 

I had a lot of money invested into this book and was hoping to use the funds towards supporting myself and my family since being furloughed in May due to Covid-19.  

If you have see  this book. Please reach out.  Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this post.   🙏🙏🙏

CGC certification # 2088548002

0CF419F0-817C-4E00-834A-200A38AFCEDB.thumb.jpeg.74db08abd16f1909ce3d7b0ec725ff86.jpeg

Edited by sLiver

33 minutes ago, sLiver said:

The package was stolen from someone in Boca Raton Florida.

Very sorry to hear this. 

The above was a little confusing to me though.  Did the USPS lose your package and was it insured?  Or did it make it to it's destination and was stolen from there?

46 minutes ago, sLiver said:

Just putting this out here in case anyone can help out.  I sent this book out to a fellow collector on 08/13/20 USPS certified mail from California.  It reached Boca Raton, FL on 08/17/20 then mysteriously dissapeared.  I called and called every day hoping to find it. Always getting the usual non-answers from the postal employees.  Finally on 09/20/20 they told me to stop calling and that consider the package lost and deal with it.   😓

The package was stolen from someone in Boca Raton Florida. I called the local police on the off chance they would assist and was basically told that I had no proof a theft had occurred. 

I had a lot of money invested into this book and was hoping to use the funds towards supporting myself and my family since being furloughed in May due to Covid-19.  

If you have see  this book. Please reach out.  Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this post.   🙏🙏🙏

CGC certification # 2088548002

0CF419F0-817C-4E00-834A-200A38AFCEDB.thumb.jpeg.74db08abd16f1909ce3d7b0ec725ff86.jpeg

:(

USPS transit status was “in transit”, it reached the Boca Raton USPS warehouse and that’s where it stopped. Status never changed. So it was never delivered.  I have private insurance but they seem to be dragging their feet, so I may need to seek legal help.  😞

I hope the buyer is legit, I've had it quite a few times where the postal company does not get a signature and sometimes the buyer tries to pull a fast one and this is on silly things worth $40.

The amount of things I have delivered to me that require a signature and they don't ask for it, luckily I'm not like that, I don't want it done to me, so would never do it on anyone else.

Post office should be looking into whom it was last recorded with, they seem a bit out of order saying that to you, especially considering the value, did you write Hulk 181 on the description?

Hope it turns up for you :-(

best wishes

Sad to hear. Wish I had something hopeful for you but it looks pretty grim. As a former public employee I just can’t understand the nonchalance shown by the USPS employee you dealt with. I know I couldn’t abide with their response. Can’t the buyer head to the Post Office and help with them personally?

Can you tell us where you sold the book?  How was it packaged?  Did you have USPS insurance or convey to any USPS employees the contents/value?  As a somewhat frequent seller (mostly eBay) shipping expensive books is no bueno. 

Based on my own dealings with the USPS regarding lost mail, I suggest you go to your local post office in person and interact with the postmaster or a supervisor regarding the lost package.  You should also request that a trace be put the package and that a lost item case be opened.  The USPS often has additional information regarding the scanning of a package than what appears in the tracking history available to you on the internet.

If the last status was "in transit," it seems more likely you're dealing with an error compounded by laziness/nonchalance on the part of the last facility where it was scanned. My postmaster has told me numerous stories of "last scanned" items turning up much later, at the USPS location of last scan. You need your local postmaster to champion the effort to get someone on it who is at the last facility where it was scanned. It's worth a shot because if this is the case, rather than theft, they should be able t turn it up if you can get someone to get the attention of the people in that facility.

I would ask CGC & Cb-other-CS graders if they have "theft alert" of some type of look out procedure in place? Meaning they can lay a image out when it was slabbed and be on the alert if it is re-submitted raw. I doubt this can be done

for every comic, however above 5K "they" have a chance to play hero as a safety net & recovery agent. Is the recipient "bullet proof" in terms of reputation, like the "husband" when wifey disappears, your recipient

has to be considered, not blamed but ruled out? Someone else mentioned packages requiring sig being dropped without one anyway, this happens far to often making the Post Office's exposure here far to REAL. They just did this exact thing with a SS#1

and a CGC 9.8 X-Men #50 I sent with signature required, left it right on the porch!!! :pullhair:    SOLUTION: I can't use USPS anymore ....not on anything of real value or an important book....PERIOD.

4 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

registered mail.

Yes. Registered mail, fully insured. With registered mail, there's complete detail of each and every time the book moves/is handled. Also, registered can be insured for up to and including $25,000. 

That said, just because the tracking trail stops dead; is incomplete, that doesn't necessarily mean that the parcel was not delivered. That is still a possibility. The book could have been left if nobody home, or the carrier is lazy. Whether a signature is mandated or not by the signature service purchased from the post office, carriers have the final say when delivering. Some opt to sign off without the requested and paid for recipient's signature. 

Hopefully it will turn up but with the answers gotten so far, were I the sender I'd already be in contact with the postal inspector's office on this disappearance, maybe even the police in that jurisdiction.

Could the buyer drive to the PO location where it got "stuck"? 

I did this once. I had a comic travel safely across the country only to stop 40 miles from my house for a days on end. I called several times and got nowhere, so I finally drove down.

It was kind of a nightmare. They made me wait in a little room for an hour while they looked. They said it wasn't there, I waited for a supervisor to arrive for his shift and it was miraculously discovered a little while after that. 

That comic cost $50 and I was irate. I can only imagine how frustrated you are. 

I second the missing package request with usps if you haven't already. Late July/early August was a really bad time to ship comics. I had a ton of mine just stop dead for weeks. Every single one I put the request in miraculously got updated within 48 hours. I did lose one as a buyer, but thankfully was insured so I came out even.