• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STOLEN: Hulk 181 CGC 9.6

54 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, sLiver said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I’m going to take this to the next level.  I’m trying to get in touch with the postmaster (in FL) to open an investigation.  Question is, do I contact the postmaster in Boca Raton FL or my local one?  Or maybe both?   It’s like pulling teeth even to get through to a live person on the phone.   I’ve been really down about this but I look at the fact that it’s just a comic book and there are more important things in my life.

As for insurance, I have collect-insure but they’re dragging their feet.   😓  I know some board members are insured w/ them...Any tips on how to deal with them?   Thanks again everyone for your support. It really means a lot.  Take care.  

I would try both but someone on here already stated to start with the one at your local PO (make sure it's the main PO in your city and not just a dinky annex) and see if they reach out to the post master down there or initiate a trace.  If that fails, as a last resort I would also try calling the USPS customer service line and yes, it'll be a bit of a run around with long hold times but you will eventually find someone willing to help and start a trace on the package.  You sent it certified but was it also priority mail, Express, or parcel select?  You're probably SOL if you shipped it Media Mail.

While I considered using private insurance for insuring packages, Registered Mail is a must for anything over 5k for me.  Not saying its perfect but it does mean that the USPS has skin in the game to find your package since they're on the hook if it gets lost or damaged for the full claim amount. Once you file a claim they will move heaven and earth to find your package rather than pay out the claim but they may also drag their feet on declaring it lost to avoid/delay paying the claim until it becomes all but certain that it is lost or was stolen. 

Sadly, this may be another knock against CIS.  If they have approved your claim and are processing your claim, slowly, and plan to pay it out but just being slow about it then that might just be how they are right now (possibly due to a bunch of other clients with lost USPS packages) but at least you'll get your money.  However, if they're sandbagging you or have not yet approved your claim due to insufficient evidence, you may need to get an official statement from the post office of it as declared lost and/or threaten CIS exposure on social media if they are just flat out refusing your claim.  From what I've read on here from past customers of CIS, one drawback on getting a claim payout from CIS is it may be a one and done then drop you as a customer.

Not to give false hope but I suspect it's just stuck/misplaced/delayed at one of the facilities, got misrouted, or had the label sufficiently damaged that it couldn't be processed yet and might turn up with a trace or after a few weeks possibly after the election.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:43 AM, sLiver said:

Just putting this out here in case anyone can help out.  I sent this book out to a fellow collector on 08/13/20 USPS certified mail from California.  It reached Boca Raton, FL on 08/17/20 then mysteriously dissapeared.  I called and called every day hoping to find it. Always getting the usual non-answers from the postal employees.  Finally on 09/20/20 they told me to stop calling and that consider the package lost and deal with it.   😓

The package was stolen from someone in Boca Raton Florida. I called the local police on the off chance they would assist and was basically told that I had no proof a theft had occurred. 

I had a lot of money invested into this book and was hoping to use the funds towards supporting myself and my family since being furloughed in May due to Covid-19.  

If you have see  this book. Please reach out.  Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this post.   🙏🙏🙏

CGC certification # 2088548002

0CF419F0-817C-4E00-834A-200A38AFCEDB.thumb.jpeg.74db08abd16f1909ce3d7b0ec725ff86.jpeg

Wow! Sorry to hear that you have to deal with this type of situation. Hope your book gets recovered. 

On 10/3/2020 at 5:43 PM, sLiver said:

Just putting this out here in case anyone can help out.  I sent this book out to a fellow collector on 08/13/20 ****USPS certified mail from California.  It reached Boca Raton, FL on 08/17/20 then mysteriously dissapeared.  I called and called every day hoping to find it. Always getting the usual non-answers from the postal employees.  ####Finally on 09/20/20 they told me to stop calling and that consider the package lost and deal with it.   😓

The package was stolen from someone in Boca Raton Florida. I called the local police on the off chance they would assist and was basically told that I had no proof a theft had occurred. 

I had a lot of money invested into this book and was hoping to use the funds towards supporting myself and my family since being furloughed in May due to Covid-19.  

If you have see  this book. Please reach out.  Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this post.   🙏🙏🙏

CGC certification # 2088548002

1****) So USPS have accepted it and you have paid for a service. It's in the system. As per their website, you have 'proved you have sent it' - so  - they have it.

Certified Mail®

Prove you sent it. See when it was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made, and get the signature of the person who accepts the mailing when combined with Return Receipt.

Notes

Purchase at your Post Office.

Present for mailing to a Postal employee if a postmarked sender’s receipt is requested.

Combine with Return Receipt to get an electronic or physical delivery record showing the recipient’s signature.

The recipient may be required to show an acceptable primary ID before USPS will deliver.

2) Did you insure it?

If so with USPS - they have to pay up as the employee declared it lost:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm#ep1097244

If external, you need to the appropriate paperwork for your insurer to prove it's lost.  "A guy on the phone told me" won't be enough for any insurance company in the world to pay out a claim.

To be frank, you really haven't tried in the slightest to sort this in any meaningful way.

3 ####) I find that impossible to believe. The first thing anybody would do when looking for a 'lost' $13,000 book would be to report the employee for any number of reasons to his supervisor. Then move up the chain.

$13,000 is NOT chump change to any business, especially if there is the slightest suggestion of theft. Why didn't you report the jerk?

It's not hard to do..

6.1 Consumer Complaints and Inquiries

Any postal customer may complain or inquire about postal products, services, or employees at any Post Office or directly to the USPS Consumer Advocate (see 8.1 for address). A complaint or inquiry may be made in person, by telephone, by e-mail, or by letter. A complaint or inquiry about the handling of a specific piece of mail should include the related envelope or wrapper and copies of all postal forms filed. A customer who is dissatisfied with the local handling of a complaint or inquiry may send a written appeal to the Consumer Advocate. A court of law can require such appeal as a legal prerequisite for hearing a customer’s suit against the USPS.

Consumer Advocate
US Postal Service
475 L’Enfant Plz SW
Washington DC 20260-2200

4) You say 'it was stolen from Boca Raton' - on what basis do you make this claim? 

Tracking, according to you, still shows it in the possession of USPS - so ring again, get the right person and start a trace.

Make a written complaint.

Contact the advocate.

Why do you think an insurance company will pay out when it's showing as being with USPS in Boca Raton?

Throw up the tracking number so we can have a look.

Honestly - I'm struggling to see why you went to the Police to report a theft, when its only been missing for less than 8 weeks. Posting here asking for people to 'keep an eye out'  makes no sense when you haven't even offered up any proof that USPS have officially declared this lost.

This makes no sense.

And that usually means a big ol' chunk of info is missing.

How much did you insure it for?

Did you take out any USPS insurance as well as the private insurance.

Why is the private insurance even CONSIDERING a pay-out on a book that's still in USPS custody  after only 8 weeks, during the biggest slow-down in postal history due to covid?

Why haven't you started a trace with USPS?

Why didn't you report the guy for being completely unprofessional by telling you to 'get over it - it's lost'. And then deal with his boss.

Why not use overnight priority mail express - it's a $13,000 book for goodness sake!

It's 2020 - the golden age of litigation.

Even USPS isn't going to blow off  a $13,000 missing item.

Why did you report it stolen after 8 weeks rather than start a Postal Trace?

Edited by Beige

3 hours ago, Beige said:

1****) So USPS have accepted it and you have paid for a service. It's in the system. As per their website, you have 'proved you have sent it' - so  - they have it.

Certified Mail®

Prove you sent it. See when it was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made, and get the signature of the person who accepts the mailing when combined with Return Receipt.

Notes

Purchase at your Post Office.

Present for mailing to a Postal employee if a postmarked sender’s receipt is requested.

Combine with Return Receipt to get an electronic or physical delivery record showing the recipient’s signature.

The recipient may be required to show an acceptable primary ID before USPS will deliver.

2) Did you insure it?

If so with USPS - they have to pay up as the employee declared it lost:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm#ep1097244

If external, you need to the appropriate paperwork for your insurer to prove it's lost.  "A guy on the phone told me" won't be enough for any insurance company in the world to pay out a claim.

To be frank, you really haven't tried in the slightest to sort this in any meaningful way.

3 ####) I find that impossible to believe. The first thing anybody would do when looking for a 'lost' $13,000 book would be to report the employee for any number of reasons to his supervisor. Then move up the chain.

$13,000 is NOT chump change to any business, especially if there is the slightest suggestion of theft. Why didn't you report the jerk?

It's not hard to do..

6.1 Consumer Complaints and Inquiries

Any postal customer may complain or inquire about postal products, services, or employees at any Post Office or directly to the USPS Consumer Advocate (see 8.1 for address). A complaint or inquiry may be made in person, by telephone, by e-mail, or by letter. A complaint or inquiry about the handling of a specific piece of mail should include the related envelope or wrapper and copies of all postal forms filed. A customer who is dissatisfied with the local handling of a complaint or inquiry may send a written appeal to the Consumer Advocate. A court of law can require such appeal as a legal prerequisite for hearing a customer’s suit against the USPS.

Consumer Advocate
US Postal Service
475 L’Enfant Plz SW
Washington DC 20260-2200

4) You say 'it was stolen from Boca Raton' - on what basis do you make this claim? 

Tracking, according to you, still shows it in the possession of USPS - so ring again, get the right person and start a trace.

Make a written complaint.

Contact the advocate.

Why do you think an insurance company will pay out when it's showing as being with USPS in Boca Raton?

Throw up the tracking number so we can have a look.

Honestly - I'm struggling to see why you went to the Police to report a theft, when its only been missing for less than 8 weeks. Posting here asking for people to 'keep an eye out'  makes no sense when you haven't even offered up any proof that USPS have officially declared this lost.

This makes no sense.

And that usually means a big ol' chunk of info is missing.

How much did you insure it for?

Did you take out any USPS insurance as well as the private insurance.

Why is the private insurance even CONSIDERING a pay-out on a book that's still in USPS custody  after only 8 weeks, during the biggest slow-down in postal history due to covid?

Why haven't you started a trace with USPS?

Why didn't you report the guy for being completely unprofessional by telling you to 'get over it - it's lost'. And then deal with his boss.

Why not use overnight priority mail express - it's a $13,000 book for goodness sake!

It's 2020 - the golden age of litigation.

Even USPS isn't going to blow off  a $13,000 missing item.

Why did you report it stolen after 8 weeks rather than start a Postal Trace?

Thanks for typing this all out, pretty much what I've been thinking since reading this thread.

hm

On 10/4/2020 at 1:29 AM, James J Johnson said:

Yes. Registered mail is the premium signature service because not only is the recipient signing for it, but each and every time the package was handled and/or locked mail-bag moved in transit, the register must be signed by the postal worker handling or moving it. Registered usually doesn't show all the steps and stages from acceptance to delivery on the online USPS tracking, sometimes even registered will appear to get "stuck" in transit. But with registered service the post office can always track its location on their computers and locate its exact whereabouts if need be. 

You very rarely hear of registered mail going off the grid for long; in fact, I can't think of ever hearing an anecdote related to me of, or experiencing a botched registered delivery. 

It happens I have a box from CGC registered mail that tracking hasn't updated since August 19th. CGC running trace and I filed missing mail report online early September. No updates.

24 minutes ago, snu snu said:

It happens I have a box from CGC registered mail that tracking hasn't updated since August 19th. CGC running trace and I filed missing mail report online early September. No updates.

What does the tracking last show? Does it record the acceptance by CGC's post office? The next step, that is, movement to or received by the hub or processing center? Does it show the parcel location as being in an intermediary state? 

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

What does the tracking last show? Does it record the acceptance by CGC's post office? The next step, that is, movement to or received by the hub or processing center? Does it show the parcel location as being in an intermediary state? 

The package was coming back to me from CGC. Mailed on August 18th last tracking update is on the 19th leaving Tampa. It's been "In-Transit" since.

Edited by snu snu

I would just like to point out to always include a packing slip inside the box of senders and buyers address on it. If a label gets destroyed and they do not know where it goes they may open it to see if there is some identification inside. If not they will send it to the lost mail dept. in Atlanta where you will never find it. Think the lost Ark is there.

8 hours ago, apollobuzz said:

This.  I sold a big book that was never delivered.  It was lost in the tracking system with the last update as it made it to destination city.  Then nothing for weeks.  I refunded buyer and filed a claim; and updates were lacking.  About 3 months later, the package arrives back at my doorstop.  The delivery address was correct, so never really understood why it bounced back to me.  I contacted the buyer later to see if still interested in the book.  They were.  I used the same box and it made it in 2-3 days.  Go figure.

Man that sounds like playing Russian Roulette with a 2 barrelled gun, fully loaded......

Sure glad it got there the 2nd time around though!

The thief may have had it resub’d but there is a very distinguishable printing error (small dark circular inkspot above the tricep of his swinging left arm).  It’s a longshot but if anyone have seen this book please let me know.  There’s a $2500 reward for any lead which results in me reclaiming the book.  Hope everyone had a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving!

Thanks again for your time!  🙏🙏🙏u

8AE11B24-F886-43A7-A9FF-D4CC1843F063.jpeg

A5FABC35-1386-4D97-B2BC-ABDCB6D44BB0.jpeg

2 minutes ago, sLiver said:

The thief may have had it resub’d but there is a very distinguishable printing error (small dark circular inkspot above the tricep of his swinging left arm).  It’s a longshot but if anyone have seen this book please let me know.  There’s a $2500 reward for any lead which results in me reclaiming the book.  Hope everyone had a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving!

Thanks again for your time!  🙏🙏🙏u

8AE11B24-F886-43A7-A9FF-D4CC1843F063.jpeg

A5FABC35-1386-4D97-B2BC-ABDCB6D44BB0.jpeg

Have you told CGC about the spot?