• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Madness of not being able to find that one comic you know you have
3 3

36 posts in this topic

I have a 9.8/white Savage Sword of Conan 1 somewhere. It came as part of a collection buy and was the only slab, so I had to put it somewhere. I put it somewhere alright. Mrs. Donut and I are looking to move/downsize in about ten years. I figure I'll find it then.

3 hours ago, Ares said:

This is driving me nuts.  I have been going through my collection in order to get it in order to see them. 

(I have books that no longer fit in my collection) 

There is one book I know I have (Eternals number 1) but I cant find it anywhere.

On the other hand while looking for that book I found others that I did not think I had anymore. 

Has this ever happened to anymore else?

This happens to me pretty much every single time I go to find one specific comic.  Usually I end up buying another on ebay if I want to read it or something.

I have this one. Is it a horror book? Is it a crime book? Is it misc GA?

I have boxes of major publishers and genres. It is usually in wither one or the other. This one though often gets misplaced. I guess I could have a box for Canada or foreign books but just don't have enough of them.

I have a rather large collection. Many, including my wife and friends consider too big. But you guys get it. In spite of this, I am VERY well organized.

This one might be cursed. I've thought about selling it but I really like it. Guess that is the burdon I will have to bear.

Oh, I just went to get the photo and had to look in 3 categories for it...:roflmao:

comluckycoyne.jpg

A few items unfortunately...many moves :blush: After selling almost all of my original collection before college YEARS ago...I had retained a few things...Complete Foom collection w/ 2 unused kits...my signed early con programs and an original Conan Daily. I've seen those in the last 10 years. But in dipping my toes back in a few times over the years, I bought a ASM 300 off the rack...Haven't seen that FOREVER....it's somewhere stupid I'm sure. great thread.

Oh man; don't even get me started.  For the last 5 years I've held annual Halloween Sales here on the forums.  In that process; I've found books I didn't know I had.  Books I can't find based on my records and then stuff in other boxes accounted for incorrectly.  I would say I'm about 85% really organized but that 15% is a real monkey wrench..

Not to mention; I think there were books in the past I sold that I never updated my records for so I thought I still had them.  It really runs the gamut :insane: 

Can't find a particuliar comic? How about can't find an entire run. At one time I had the complete run of Defenders. I have no recallection of selling them all. I know I sold a few like #1, #10 and a few other early issues, but when issue #28 started climbing, I went looking for it. Couldn't find any issues and didn't see any large gaps in my boxes. very frustrating.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I have this one. Is it a horror book? Is it a crime book? Is it misc GA?

I have boxes of major publishers and genres. It is usually in wither one or the other. This one though often gets misplaced. I guess I could have a box for Canada or foreign books but just don't have enough of them.

I have a rather large collection. Many, including my wife and friends consider too big. But you guys get it. In spite of this, I am VERY well organized.

This one might be cursed. I've thought about selling it but I really like it. Guess that is the burdon I will have to bear.

Oh, I just went to get the photo and had to look in 3 categories for it...:roflmao:

comluckycoyne.jpg

Six Pence :cloud9:

I'm extremely disorganised.

Other than looking at my box of favourite slabs recently and picking stories to read from my shelves of reprint collections, I haven't had a good search through in years.  I'm sure there'll be many pleasant surprises that I've forgotten about whenever I do end up seeing what's in there again, and also many embarrassing misjudgements which must've seemed like good ideas at the time, especially back in the 90s.

Edited by Ken Aldred

My collection was in total order about 5 or 6 years ago, I could pick any book withing minutes from my cabinets, but there came a time when I had to have some work done in my main room, so I boxed up a lot of them and relocated elsewhere until the work was complete.

I just havent got around to putting everything back together again and have bought a lot more since then all of which is in a random mess and seems like such a daunting task now.

I looked for books to scan a few weeks ago and after a few hours didnt even find the right comic company :( 

8 hours ago, Ares said:

This is driving me nuts.  I have been going through my collection in order to get it in order to see them. 

(I have books that no longer fit in my collection) 

There is one book I know I have (Eternals number 1) but I cant find it anywhere.

On the other hand while looking for that book I found others that I did not think I had anymore. 

Has this ever happened to anymore else?

Perhaps you traded your Eternals 1 for the book you didn't think you had anymore! (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

often. Generally it is a sign that I have too many books and I need to sell.

I have 2 magazines that I recently found going through some boxes 2 weeks ago. I set them aside knowing i wanted to bag and board them. Yesterday I grabbed magazine bags and boards for them and I cant find the magazines. I cant remember where i put them. Clearly it would be somewhere convenient as i knew i was going to bag and board them, but i cant find them. :(

FOUND THEM!

That was driving me crazy. I have a shelf at my desk above my computers with some comic related books on it. I had shoved the 2 magazines amongst those books. I guess when I did it I assumed I would remember. :P

Turns out the magazines needed treasury sized bags and boards too.

Edited by Artboy99

A book I have had since ~1977 - Thor 177 - and I know I still have as it is in every version of my printed (1970s, 80s, & 90s) and on line collection (initially put together in 2014 when I was re-bagging and boarding at the same time). So it has to be there but somehow when I was imaging all my books-- I could not find it.

Now -- it has to be there somewhere-- iI have notes on it and even gave it a grade. I either misplaced it into some other box or some other crazy thing happened. It is the kind of thing that can drive you crazy. I refuse to just sort through my whole collection-- though it is nothing crazy big like some of the folks here (about 1950 books). But anytime I see that hole in my image file where it goes from 176 to 178 -- I get a little more upset. Stay tuned to when it boils over into some collection wide search.

Lately I've looked for a few books that recently "popped" that I was pretty sure were in my sale stock, only to not find them. I have to assume I sold them on the cheap a while back, because literally no one other than my wife and I have been inthe house since last March. I probably threw them in a lot deal back when I was selling locally. It happens.