• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hidden Costs of Re-Holdering?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Can my fellow boardies weigh in on any hidden costs associated with reholdering that I might not be aware of (the only reholders I have sent in were mechanical error/ free to me to correct)?

Specifically, I am trying to get a solid figure to help me when confronted by the opportunity of purchasing a previously slabbed comic in the 'grade' I want ( a 'sure thing' in so much as I can clearly see the corners and condition of the actual book as opposed to buying the label) versus submitting my raw copy that may or may not be quite where I'd like it without pressing. Let's just assume I'm looking at filling a few holes in a series where every other one I have slabbed is in the current holder and I need them to match. Or you bought a book off ComicLink and the sticker is never ever ever coming off and for whatever reason you want a new current slab.

Assume I have a premium membership and am dealing exclusively with post 1975 comics/ modern tier, it costs me $18 per comic for grading with discount. It costs $15 per reholder plus the scary new reholder disclaimer. I assume shipping back will be the same either way, cheapest in groups of 25. Though I doubt I could pony up that many reholders at once I've got a few I'd like to do.... I assume if I wait too long CGC will change the slab again and then I will lose my mind on those short sets not matching. Shipping will increase for shipping to CGC from weight of slabs for reholder over raw. Plus any shipping paid to get slab to you and extra transit time.

The reholder is much faster than a new submission and one assumes little risk of a downgrade assuming the comic looks great and no obvious damage to slab.

What other fees am I missing? Does CGC charge a fee to crack each comic out of slab or is that included? Invoice fees? Does it work out effectively the same on crossover regrading?

Thanks, I appreciate any perspective you can offer. It will help me have a base figure regarding how much I can afford to bid on a previously slabbed comic versus when it climbs out of good deal territory.

Best regards, 

L.E.

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Do they charge an additional handling fee for re-holders now? 

I feel like I read someone's post here on the boards that they did, but I've searched through all the posts referencing reholdering I could and couldn't find the one I was looking for. So I am hoping someone who has reholdered recently can give me some input. Thanks!