• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing Question: Is this normal?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Just received my Hulk 181 back after having it pressed and graded. It had some bends and waves that DIDN'T break the color before. After pressing, there are now creases and breaks in the color in multiple areas. Should I just be okay with this? I feel like a good press job shouldn't create color breaks like this. I have before and after pictures as proof. See below:

IMG_20200903_123448689.jpg

I really can’t tell from the angle but the before picture shows a deep crease that may have been hiding the color break. After pressing out the crease the break is now much more pronounced. 

The before picture does not show any color loss, but it could be present and minimized by the angle the photo was taken and shadow cast by the crease. 

So I guess my biggest question then is with a crease like this. Does it help or hurt to have it pressed and expose the color break more? There was a mild spine roll with this book prior as well. Just hoping I didn't hurt the grade on it. The pic below is what it looked like prior to the press.

IMG_20200903_123438831.jpg

Edited by Dr. Lehr
Typo

11 hours ago, Dr. Lehr said:

So I guess my biggest question then is with a crease like this. Does it help or hurt to have it pressed and expose the color break more? There was a mild spine roll with this book prior as well. Just hoping I didn't hurt the grade on it. The pic below is what it looked like prior to the press.

With a crease that big it would have been the same regardless  so all you lost was the cost of pressing.

The pressing appears to have turned the fold/crease into a scratch. Is that right? I'd be disappointed particularly with Hulk #181 being such a massive key. If it took out the spine roll it did something positive. What was the grade given? It otherwise looks like a beautiful copy. I was in an LCS recently and checked at these GA & SA books on the wall which were pressed too and they looked too flat, stiff and thin like sheets of cardboard. I wondered if the pages could still be opened and turned. Who does pressing and are there different types? I'd be interest to know more.

On 10/13/2020 at 1:18 AM, MattrixAlien said:

The pressing appears to have turned the fold/crease into a scratch. Is that right? I'd be disappointed particularly with Hulk #181 being such a massive key. If it took out the spine roll it did something positive. What was the grade given? It otherwise looks like a beautiful copy. I was in an LCS recently and checked at these GA & SA books on the wall which were pressed too and they looked too flat, stiff and thin like sheets of cardboard. I wondered if the pages could still be opened and turned. Who does pressing and are there different types? I'd be interest to know more.

Some pressers like myself do what’s called “fanning” after completing the pressing process to avoid that stiff look and give the comic that, shall we call it “body” (kind of like washed hair). It airs out the pages so they’re not so stiff or stuck together. Other pressers will just want to flatten a book and kind of overdo it.

I've just noticed your post and it may connect me to someone who could give me help on a subject I've just posted. I have a comic that was graded in 2003 (by a previous owner) but it has wavy pages. You seem to have removed yours, but this seems to have revealed something else.

Can B2D327 help me? Should I get the comic repressed and regraded to remove the waves ? Its a thick spined comic, Silver Surfer #4 cgc 8.5. Does this type of comic present a problem when pressing such that, wavy pages/distortion are a possible consequence ? Should I worry the comic is no longer a cgc 8.5 because of this ?

Thank you,

Colin

4 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

I've just noticed your post and it may connect me to someone who could give me help on a subject I've just posted. I have a comic that was graded in 2003 (by a previous owner) but it has wavy pages. You seem to have removed yours, but this seems to have revealed something else.

Can B2D327 help me? Should I get the comic repressed and regraded to remove the waves ? Its a thick spined comic, Silver Surfer #4 cgc 8.5. Does this type of comic present a problem when pressing such that, wavy pages/distortion are a possible consequence ? Should I worry the comic is no longer a cgc 8.5 because of this ?

Thank you,

Colin

There are extra steps to pressing a book like SS #4, it being a square bound book and having it’s staples in a spot that can actually do damage to the cover if not done properly. If the book became wavy after being slabbed due to improper storage the grade would change and having it pressed by a knowledgeable person would be a good idea but won’t guarantee you the same grade. If it was given that grade with the waviness, you should look up the graders notes to see what flaws they found to determine what can be improved and base your decision on that.

On 10/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, Dr. Lehr said:

I belive the press still helped. Looks like some pretty bad staining and maybe a small piece missing on the bottom right corner as well. What grade did youbget?