• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This Trimmed? Or Wonky Production Cut?
2 2

7 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Not likely that it is trimmed.  The one photo that would tell us the story is missing - the back upper right.  If a lot of the front cover is twisted onto the back, then that is why it is out of alignment. 

Probably happened at the time of manufacture, as the staples look to be properly following the fold.  The cover got tilted a bit, stapled in place that way, and there you go.

If you pressed it now or later, you might get a better alignment of the pages, instead of being fanned.  That also might move the crease and top staple, but there would have to be a compromise somewhere.

Great assessment.

27 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

No don't think so.  Looks like Lightning got it correct and you can tell from the way the cover is tilted towards the top left thus dragging the right side making it look uneven.  Besides, what would be the reason to trim a Spiderman 143 from that era?

That is what I asked myself but hey...I have seen random issues trimmed for no apparent reason. I will get some back cover pics to maybe help solidify the "no trim" assessment. Thanks all!

Absolutely not trimmed, cover and/or pages. Theses are all factory edge cuts. You can see the deckling on the edges in certain areas that is characteristic of machine cutting from this era. The symmetry of the page ends, front to back, are also normal, the pages receding and advancing towards the next one at the expected rate.