• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what do you think of this direct / newsstand thing?
7 7

115 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

god damn lol didnt a 9.6 sell for like 180 recently lol

Yup. I think the huge sale and potential to cash in on newsstands really applies to 9.8 copies. It seems the market is there for big money to be spend while lower grades see very small, if any gains in the sales. 

Who knows, maybe that 9.6 can magically transform into a 9.8 and a $1800 pay day for someone :banana:

So, @Ablation Steve, another newsstand thread and you've got two pages and 40 post to read when you come back.

Bottom line, I can get this comic very easily any day of the week:

266290175_6842ndp.thumb.jpg.36925b80a448526f2f67d47f2227e732.jpg

This, not so easily.

684ne.thumb.jpg.e0f86605f095422518e981c20b46a205.jpg

All good fun :)

Do the math!

When it comes to ASM #300 - there are about 38 CGC 9.8 direct editions for every 1 CGC 9.8 newsstand.

Now, let's say that 95% of all collectors either don't care or prefer the direct edition.

That means 5% of collectors would be interested in obtaining their CGC 9.8 ASM #300 as a newsstand edition.

Sorry, the demand is greater than supply.

95% of collectors can either "not care" or "prefer direct edition" and there would STILL be a premium for newsstand on that book in that grade.

1 minute ago, Garbage Time said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Just wondering, since you joined the board 3 hours ago, how many of the previous discussions on newsstand books from this board you're familiar with? 

The "barcodes are ugly" argument is about 15 years old on this particular form, and doesn't actually make any sense... so the graphic is just a quick answer to an old argument.

6newsstands.png

(thumbsu

Where did I say barcodes are ugly? 

You quoted the middle of a discussion.  The lack of "aesthetic" for barcodes was mentioned by someone else earlier in this topic.  You replied to me, but I was replying to him.  Evidently, your arrival 3 hours ago was already too late for you to be timely in this topic.

7 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:
10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Those that just post 'newsstands suck' messages and slag off every comment in their favour as an attempt to 'pimp them up' though I find really tedious.

Agree

It's also fairly obvious that MOST of those who post that way have checked their collections, realize they have very few newsstands, and therefore, the grapes are sour.

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's also fairly obvious that MOST of those who post that way have checked their collections, realize they have very few newsstands, and therefore, the grapes are sour.

No one is ever happy when they miss their train...choo choo!

They just need to be happy with the one they get to/chose to ride...Todd McFarlane image boxes station, here we come!

Edited by comicginger1789

18 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So, @Ablation Steve, another newsstand thread and you've got two pages and 40 post to read when you come back.

Bottom line, I can get this comic very easily any day of the week:

266290175_6842ndp.thumb.jpg.36925b80a448526f2f67d47f2227e732.jpg

This, not so easily.

684ne.thumb.jpg.e0f86605f095422518e981c20b46a205.jpg

All good fun :)

Well, with any luck something new will come of it!

18 minutes ago, Garbage Time said:
24 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You quoted the middle of a discussion.  The lack of "aesthetic" for barcodes was mentioned by someone else earlier in this topic.  You replied to me, but I was replying to him.  Evidently, your arrival 3 hours ago was already too late for you to be timely in this topic.

My post exposed an eternal truth that is relevant at any juncture of said discussion :acclaim:

Sure thing, Oscar. (thumbsu

16 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

No one is ever happy when they miss their train...choo choo!

They just need to be happy with the one they get to/chose to ride...Todd McFarlane image boxes station, here we come!

image.thumb.png.30f72c78190a07b47868d9416fcf319f.png

Generally speaking, newsstands went to non-collectors and returns, but this varied by book.  There are certain newsstands that are plentiful, in high grade, and possibly appear "more common" than the direct editions (Amazing Spider-Man #252) while the books on either side (Amazing Spider-Man #251, #253) are much harder to find in high grade newsstand.

To all collectors who don't care about newsstands, please...

FIND THIS NEWSSTAND... sell them to me for double the direct edition price and laugh at my ignorance.

image.png.fb338f58ab4457695d61e4b3d7717241.png

Please... take my money.  I'm offering DOUBLE the direct edition price.  You're the geniuses, I'm the fool.  :foryou:

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

To all collectors who don't care about newsstands, please...

FIND THIS NEWSSTAND... sell them to me for double the direct edition price and laugh at my ignorance.

image.png.fb338f58ab4457695d61e4b3d7717241.png

Please... take my money.  I'm offering DOUBLE the direct edition price.  You're the geniuses, I'm the fool.  :foryou:

C'mon guys, hands up if you just searched eBay for it :grin:

Spoiler

Hand Up GIFs | Tenor

3 hours ago, Summydad1 said:

I also agree that newsstands do nothing for me. On the contrary I prefer direct editions from an aesthetic point of view. 

I also prefer DE over the barcode from an aesthetic POV, but I hate the DE's with the diamond price box and line through the barcode- Ugly! The diamond always makes me think of the Star Wars reprints from the original 6 issues.

I do, however, completely understand the attraction of a 9.8 NS to someone who hunts for them. 

I agree with someone's assessment here that newstands are for completists, or for sellers who know their stuff.

Personally, I don't have unlimited funds to burn, so they don't appeal to me. I'd be happy enough to have a high quality first printing direct edition, then move on to my next book. As for variants, only if I like the cover or a fan of the artist. I consider myself a "practical" collector" :)

Having said that, I respect the zeal and tenacity of these completists. Good example is a post here I came across of a Superman 18 Doomsday from the first printing down to the DC newstands, very hardcore.

Edited by bobotski

12 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Why does the barcode have to be on the front of the comic?

No point saying that now!

Where were you in '76 Donna :eyeroll:

156.thumb.jpg.f7bfcbaec26ad5ad664ac020471938ef.jpg157.thumb.jpg.4b592b1a2c18e8a003a3fd04f9518162.jpg

1 hour ago, bobotski said:

I agree with someone's assessment here that newstands are for completists, or for sellers who know their stuff.

Personally, I don't have unlimited funds to burn, so they don't appeal to me. I'd be happy enough to have a high quality first printing direct edition, then move on to my next book. As for variants, only if I like the cover or a fan of the artist. I consider myself a "practical" collector" :)

Having said that, I respect the zeal and tenacity of these completists. Good example is a post here I came across of a Superman 18 Doomsday from the first printing down to the DC newstands, very hardcore.

image.jpeg.1649b50102e1980e2054dbfb168cea12.jpeg

Living proof that you are not hardcore unless you live hardcore

I don’t have a strong aesthetic preference but if I was was forced to pick one I think the nostalgic edge would go to newsstands since I didn’t really encounter direct market copies until I started going to the comic shop in my mid- to late-teens. 

I remember going to the shop at that time and buying Daredevil 165, 168 and 180 off the wall and being less than pleased that Spider-Man’s face was on the 165 and 168. I don’t have a dislike for Spider-Man but for some reason seeing his face on unrelated books - especially non-hero books like Micronauts or Star Wars - really bugged me. The DC direct issues didn’t bother me as much because the box usually had some kind of huckster slogan so it could at least be kind of viewed as company advertising on the cover. 

On the upcoming Clink auction there’s a 9.8 newsstand copy of a book that’s very important to me from my childhood. I already have a 9.6 direct copy, but since it’s a newsstand copy that I read over and over as a kid I’m very tempted. 

But am I going to pay some kind of premium for it?  No.  If the books goes beyond what a 9.8 direct goes for I’ll walk away, it’s not that important to me. 

When I decided to start collecting high-grade books again I made the decision to try and go for direct market editions. Not because I particularly liked them better, but because I just assumed that it would be more likely that the direct market copy would have been purchased by a collector and well taken care off...and therefore easier to find in high-grade.  That reasoning may be flawed, but for me it seemed to be the path of least resistance. 

If I had the patience...and now, apparently, the money...I probably would have chased newsstands. But I’m of an age where at my rate of collecting I’ll be lucky to complete a run of direct market books, let alone chase the newsstand version as well. 

Oddly enough, Gold Key is where I have a much stronger preference. I have both Gold Key and Whitmans in my collection but for some reason the Whitmans in my run feel a bit like a “cheat”.  I don’t know if that’s because you can still pick up sealed 2- and 3-packs (though I know that doesn’t guarantee a high-grade copy). But if I have a choice between a similar Gold Key or Whitman copy, I’ll pick the Gold Key every time.