• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what do you think of this direct / newsstand thing?
7 7

115 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, DangDiddilyDang said:

That's Ben Nobel's site. I'd take anything he says with a huge grain of salt :eyeroll:

What are you talking about? He's showing census information. Even if he wasn't why would your word be any more credible? 

Oh and the eye rolls (thumbsu

7 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

What are you talking about? He's showing census information. Even if he wasn't why would your word be any more credible?

Because Stu, regardless of whether you like him or not, doesn't misinterpret facts and make up garbage 24/7. Oh, and he's not trying to sell you anything.

17 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Anyway think this might be helpful.

It's not completely meaningless, but it does mean very little for many reasons (some of which are unexpectedly even mentioned in that blog entry).

The books with Canadian Pricing, say 95 cents vs US copies with 75 cents were only sold on newstands or did comic shops also sell them?  I remember Crown got their hands on a bunch of .95 cent Thor 337s and the demand was less than they had expected. I did a local show where I had them for $1 each and another dealer was selling direct 337s for $3 and he outsold me. 

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

It's not completely meaningless, but it does mean very little for many reasons (some of which are unexpectedly even mentioned in that blog entry).

He spells out the caveats and goes over them in detail. Obviously the census is not perfect and is very small sample size but its still a real data point that tells a similar story to the strong anecdotal evidence of available 9.8 barcodes anywhere sold. If someone were to believe your theory of parity then how do you square such a wide ratio between certified 9.8 or even 9.6 barcodes to direct editions from mid 80s to early 90s. How do you square it with a census (imperfect as it is) telling the same story? Wouldn't there be more of a split? Don't you think its a bit odd?

Every piece of evidence be it verified or anecdotal points in the same direction. I mean sure if this changes drastically I'm more than happy to change my tune! I'll go wherever the evidence points and right now it points to coppers of a certain timeframe in top grade merit a premium. Go to any of your favorite sites that sell comics and tell me how many 9.8 Mcfarlane ASMs with barcodes compared to without. Maybe even check 9.6 for that matter. What do you find? How many Batman 423? Hulk 340? So as of now Lazyboy I'll stick to the available evidence as a guide.

17 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

If someone were to believe your theory of parity

??? What? Believing that the ratios most people come up with are way overstated doesn't mean I think there's no difference in supply.

I also think the ideas some people have about Newsstands being beaten down to VG the second they touch the rack (or even before) are absurd. Plus, the most damaged copies were very likely the ones that didn't get purchased and were actually returned/destroyed, so they're already (not) accounted for in the distribution numbers.

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Go to any of your favorite sites that sell comics

lol What favourite sites?

26 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Believing that the ratios most people come up with are way overstated doesn't mean I think there's no difference in supply.

I don't know that anyone is "coming up with" ratios. The ratios are there at any given time determined by available supply. At least the ratios that I'm referring to.

I'm not aware of anyone claiming a major comic beatdown the moment it touches the rack? Much likelier they got dinged at the corners enough to still be in the 9s if on the rack long enough for perusing. 

35 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

lol What favourite sites?

Ebay Clink Hakes or whatever. Anywhere. 

11 hours ago, shadroch said:

The books with Canadian Pricing, say 95 cents vs US copies with 75 cents were only sold on newstands or did comic shops also sell them?  I remember Crown got their hands on a bunch of .95 cent Thor 337s and the demand was less than they had expected. I did a local show where I had them for $1 each and another dealer was selling direct 337s for $3 and he outsold me. 

I can help you recoup those losses, I'll buy any of your remaining Thor 337s at $3 a copy... :baiting:xD

12 hours ago, shadroch said:

No such thing as a .95 cent Thor 337:gossip:

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I usually go by the argument of about 1986 and up. 
Newsstand supply started down and really down after around 1995. 

Now big money will always bring out 9.8s it just has to be worth it
to the sellers. Starting showing a large different in money over
time more 9.8s will show up. 

I totally agree about big money eventually bring out 9.8's. But, what if there's not really many 9.8's out there to begin with? (shrug) I think it's fair to say that 9.4's to 9.6's will be the new 9.8's when it comes to newsies. 2c

On 10/11/2020 at 2:18 PM, mr_highgrade said:

I totally agree about big money eventually bring out 9.8's. But, what if there's not really many 9.8's out there to begin with? (shrug) I think it's fair to say that 9.4's to 9.6's will be the new 9.8's when it comes to newsies. 2c

Despite that, I've seen a fair number of 9.8 post-2000 newsstands right here on the CGC page. Am I correct to think you have a few yourself? At the moment, I have about 1,200 newsstand editions, 664 of which are dated 1999-2017. Of those, I have no slabbed 9.8's, 5 slabbed 9.6's, 7 slabbed 9.4's, and 8 slabbed 9.2's. The rest are all raw. Among the raws, I suspect there are at least 50 9.8's, largely due to a purchase of 160 2013 newsstands that appear to have come straight out of a Barnes and Noble. Most of the raws look like they are about 9.2. Very few are below that because I tend to not buy those, or if I get them accidentally (like part of a larger purchase), I often (not always) throw them in the trash. I'm not comfortable claiming many above a 9.2 without sending out for grading, because of how much variation I've seen in grading.

Edited by paqart