• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in!GSXM #1 will clean and press help?new pics
1 1

21 posts in this topic

It’s hard to tell inside the slab.  I guess it just depends on whether or not it’s worth the investment to you.  If anything, it might come back as a 9.0...IMO. (thumbsu

Honest question - would pressing make the staple area pop-through worse on a square-bound, stapled book like this and other Giant Size books of this era? I'm no expert and relatively new, but I think with the corners as they are and some of the other issues noted this is a solid 8.5, and with the cover overhang on that bottom right front, I wouldn't want to take chances. It's a beautiful book though, congrats!

And to answer your initial inquiry about upgrade potential...possibly. Keep in mind grading is a little tighter at the moment, so you could remove some sin and still retain the same grade, but it appears the mangled corner still has most of the paper present and a press could fix that. 

2 hours ago, Frankielo said:

Hey I understand it’s a gamble,risk to reward and all that. this was graded five years ago when you say they’re a little tighter is there any facts to that statement?

Only way to get true facts or evidence, is to submit it again, until then it is all hypothetical. 

From some of the posts I’ve seen around sounds like you are the man JoeyPost when I comes to pressing  so your opinion trumps everybody else IMO. So if I read between the lines I think you’re saying there’s enough validity to take a shot?

On 6/5/2021 at 9:26 PM, joeypost said:

The funny thing is you will never know if it could have been “nicer”.

I imagine  the only thing nicer would’ve been if the stain on the BC could’ve been removed.

5 hours ago, Gaard said:

Technically, there is not a single scenario where that isn't true.

I sent this book in to CCS and requested a press screening to see if it was a good candidate didn’t hear back from them which meant they felt it was and proceeded to get pressed and graded.even though they say they grader doesn’t know the previous history of the book I have my suspicions and with that loose paper on the lower corner of the spine and the earlier statement in this post that “keep in mind grading is a little tighter at the moment”I didn’t want to have the book come back lower.