• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detecting staple removal/manipulation. How can I tell and what should I look for?

4 posts in this topic

Always trying to improve my grading and restoration detection. Before I send in some older comics (copper age and below and below) is there a way to determine if the comic has previously been disassembled and re-assmbled for things such as center fold replacement, Marvel stamp wrap replacement, spine re-alignment, tattooz/Mark Jeweler insert swaps, etc?  I'd like to do my own pre-screen if I can to determine whether to bother sending books in for grading or if I spot something suspicious to send it in for a more professional pre-screen to avoid getting a Qualified label.

Not looking for detection of staple replacement although I suspect some of the same methods for detection hold true.  I realize if a rusty staple has been replaced with a clean one telltale sign is the presence of rust transfer on the cover or interior pages but the staples are rust free. I'm more interested on whether I can tell if the same staples were removed and then put back.

If the staples were simply removed and then reapplied using the same staples what should I look for?

Will there be distortions in the pages or staple holes?

Is there a specific appearance of the bend or folding of the staple tines that are only present when they were originally done via the machine vs by hand? A more arched bend vs a flat bend?

Did the staple ends being folded appear different across different ages of comics (GA vs SA vs BA, vs CA)?

Should I examine the staples under magnification looking for any abrasion or marks or scratches on the staples themselves indicating the use of a pry tool to open the staples or remove them?

Will there be any noticeable wear, stress marks or changes to the elbow or elbow pit of the staple itself (where it bends) that would indicate it having been flexed or unflexed a few times?

Anything else I should look for on the staples themselves? 

Or will things be more apparent from the swapped pages and inserts?

Aside from the obvious items such as difference in page quality/tone/feel, difference in page wrap alignment or attached insert with the other pages, orientation, length is there anything specific to look out for?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

13 hours ago, justafan said:

Always trying to improve my grading and restoration detection. Before I send in some older comics (copper age and below and below) is there a way to determine if the comic has previously been disassembled and re-assmbled for things such as center fold replacement, Marvel stamp wrap replacement, spine re-alignment, tattooz/Mark Jeweler insert swaps, etc?  I'd like to do my own pre-screen if I can to determine whether to bother sending books in for grading or if I spot something suspicious to send it in for a more professional pre-screen to avoid getting a Qualified label.

Not looking for detection of staple replacement although I suspect some of the same methods for detection hold true.  I realize if a rusty staple has been replaced with a clean one telltale sign is the presence of rust transfer on the cover or interior pages but the staples are rust free. I'm more interested on whether I can tell if the same staples were removed and then put back.

If the staples were simply removed and then reapplied using the same staples what should I look for?

Will there be distortions in the pages or staple holes?

Is there a specific appearance of the bend or folding of the staple tines that are only present when they were originally done via the machine vs by hand? A more arched bend vs a flat bend?

Did the staple ends being folded appear different across different ages of comics (GA vs SA vs BA, vs CA)?

Should I examine the staples under magnification looking for any abrasion or marks or scratches on the staples themselves indicating the use of a pry tool to open the staples or remove them?

Will there be any noticeable wear, stress marks or changes to the elbow or elbow pit of the staple itself (where it bends) that would indicate it having been flexed or unflexed a few times?

Anything else I should look for on the staples themselves? 

Or will things be more apparent from the swapped pages and inserts?

Aside from the obvious items such as difference in page quality/tone/feel, difference in page wrap alignment or attached insert with the other pages, orientation, length is there anything specific to look out for?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Aside from the good points that Joey replied to, same as the tells for trim can usually be visually identified by those sensitive to it, same with staple manipulation. Books are produced similarly, if unaltered post-manufacturing, we can typically recognize a book as consistently having traits and characteristics expected to be seen, since all manufactured on machinery that imparts these characteristics similarly.

The more books we've handled and seen, the more our senses will become tuned to what is normal and what isn't. Tis is very true of books that have been trimmed. The way the edges line up, the way the cut is symmetrical or twists, the way the corners configure, etc.  When we see these indicators, those tells alert us to the edges of the cover and pages needing a closer look under magnification. 

Same with the way in which staples are attached and their fold at the centerfold. Again, it's a certain look that is the alert of a tell, and based on that, closer examination should be made. 

Ah yes the staple indents is a good one. Great points about the certain way the characteristics of the staples on the centerfold and cover may look.  I may need to go over a few copies to get a sense of the consistent traits. Thanks Joey and JJJ for the additional insight and perspectives.