• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnifying Glass

13 posts in this topic

To the detail-oriented submitters here, any special setup you do in inspecting the books, and what works best for you? Like, do you use magnifying glass on a stand and move the book around, or the other way around? Do you use bright fluorescent and/or an ultraviolet light? What setup does best in showing up any imperfections? Any recommendations from Amazon?

Edited by bobotski

:idea: a light bulb is all I use lol

But seriously I hold it up to the light best I can and usually angle until there should be a glare. And then look at gloss and spine ticks that aren't just so obvious (those are probably just indentations and can be pressed)

Some of that is hard to describe 

The short of it is I only use what I'd have at a comic con or LCS 

That's the short of it :martini:

6 minutes ago, bobotski said:

Getting old, eyesight's not what it used to be, so I need all the help I can get :)

I know how you feel

I had daylight bulbs in the house and ran out of them, didn't find them easy at the store, and got the regular yellow and have suffered with pics, mood and vision etc....

Simple fix go buy new lightbulbs but I'm also lazy lol

I’ve got some circular LED desk lamps from a electrics hobby shop that have a flap on the top that, when opened, reveal two different strengths of magnifying glass.  I guess they’d be great for folks who work with models/miniatures etc.. but could also be good for tired eyes on books! :)

7 hours ago, bobotski said:

To the detail-oriented submitters here, any special setup you do in inspecting the books, and what works best for you? Like, do you use magnifying glass on a stand and move the book around, or the other way around? Do you use bright fluorescent and/or an ultraviolet light? What setup does best in showing up any imperfections? Any recommendations from Amazon?

A pair of high quality, scratch-free, freshly cleaned 2.5 to 3 power magnifying frame glasses is advisable to give you a hands-free, comparable view of defects at the similar level that most graders will use for close up scrutiny. These are available in most chain drug stores, there's usually a rotating stand full of them at the end of one of their aisles. 

Edited by James J Johnson

I mean, I am not a CGC grader so for me, when I set up to grade my own comics I just have a flat black shelf top and a good lit room. I inspect with my eyes (thankfully still young and working well enough) and assign a grade. I don't fine the need to go over it with a magnifying glass. At the end of the day, I feel grading is subjective. I feel confident in my abilities to assign a solid grade that most collectors would agree with just by me looking at the book. If anything, sometimes I am a bit harsher on my own books and when I am curious, I welcome feedback from others on the forums here.

But no, never used a magnifying glass.