• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on "File Copy" and Grading
2 2

15 posts in this topic

I hope this is the  correct forum to post this question.  If not, I apologize in advance.

I have a question regarding a Wendy Parker comic I bought many years ago.  It was sold to me as a "File Copy" and has a stapled piece of paper at top of cover (see pics below) that denotes it is a file copy.  My question is how should this taken into account when grading a comic?  

Is it considered a defect?  Is it just noted and not considered as part of the grade? 

Any help in understanding others ideas/approach on how to grade a comic something like this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your insight and expertise.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

2 hours ago, buddy2 said:

It ... has a stapled piece of paper at top of cover that denotes it is a file copy.

I'm afraid I'm not seeing the words "file copy".  That being said, a non-specific "file copy" designation typically adds no value to a mid-grade specimen.  In fact, if this were my book, I'd remove the staple and stray paper.  Two tiny staple holes are not enough to warrant any further reduction in grade or value, considering that the book already has brittle-type chipping along the top edge, at least one half-inch edge tear, and multiple color-breaking creases.

5 hours ago, zzutak said:

I'm afraid I'm not seeing the words "file copy".  That being said, a non-specific "file copy" designation typically adds no value to a mid-grade specimen.  In fact, if this were my book, I'd remove the staple and stray paper.  Two tiny staple holes are not enough to warrant any further reduction in grade or value, considering that the book already has brittle-type chipping along the top edge, at least one half-inch edge tear, and multiple color-breaking creases.

This.

A tiny fragment of paper that might have originally read "File Space" does not establish provenance for this book as a legitimate file copy. Maybe, maybe, if what had been stapled to the cover was still complete, we'd be able to say more. But as it stands, you have a book with quite a few significant defects, plus an added staple holding on a bit of debris. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but I just don't see any way this book would warrant special dispensation based on what we see.

Thanks for the insight.  I did not expect it had any special providence since as I understand a file copy is just a book stored by publisher for research purposes, etc. although I think some people relate it to pedigree.  Maybe I am wrong but I saw a File Copy and Pedigree as two different thing with books.

I understand it is a mid/lower grade book.   I just didn't know if having it on there would dramatically bring down the grade more or really didn't have additional affect on grade.  I appreciate the input.

2 hours ago, buddy2 said:

Thanks for the insight.  I did not expect it had any special providence since as I understand a file copy is just a book stored by publisher for research purposes, etc. although I think some people relate it to pedigree.  Maybe I am wrong but I saw a File Copy and Pedigree as two different thing with books.

I understand it is a mid/lower grade book.   I just didn't know if having it on there would dramatically bring down the grade more or really didn't have additional affect on grade.  I appreciate the input.

Yes, you're correct about a File Copy and a Pedigree being different.

And I agree that you could remove the piece of stapled paper and actually improve the appearance of the book (as long as the cover underneath is intact). The question would be whether or not you think the stapled piece of paper makes the book more valuable as a conversation piece...   hm

5 hours ago, buddy2 said:

While some pedigrees are made up of file copies, no one equates those two things as one and the same. 

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Yes, you're correct about a File Copy and a Pedigree being different.

And I agree that you could remove the piece of stapled paper and actually improve the appearance of the book (as long as the cover underneath is intact). The question would be whether or not you think the stapled piece of paper makes the book more valuable as a conversation piece...   hm

It would only help if one knew the story behind it, which isn't the case here.

Generally, each publisher known to have preserved File Copies represents just one common group per brand -- for example, the Harvey File Copies and the Dell File Copies.   And it can be a very large group of books with multiples.  Harvey is also known to have archived bound volumes, in addition to the loose comics.  This is all a different animal than Pedigree collections, though the bound comics are interesting to consider.  Read on:

While most publishers' loose File Copies are identified obviously by the publisher's brand, a notable exception are the William M. Gaines File Copies -- which should probably be called the E. C. File Copies.  

Gaines' father M. C. Gaines is known to have kept bound volumes of All-American titles like Sensation Comics.  As the publisher, those seem comparable to his son's loose copies of the comics he (later) published.  

When we consider a bound volume from the estate of Alfred Harvey or M. C. Gaines, are these rightly considered File Copies -- or would it be more accurate to just say that they are books from their personal libraries?  In the case of M. C. Gaines bound vols., William commented that he "took them home" from the offices where they were shelved, in light of the rising value of old comics (fearing potential theft).  Their having been in the office leans toward File.  Just some comments, I realize I'm complicating the issue by bringing up bound volumes.

Edited by EC Star&Bar