• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd eBay occurance - Never had this happen before
2 2

72 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2020 at 12:02 PM, dave32563 said:

I ordered a couple of comics from an eBay seller for $80 & $85 each. I paid for the items separately but on the same day. I received a confirmation that the items shipped along with a combined tracking#. While the comics were in transit, I received Paypal and eBay notices that I was issued a full refund for both books. This was strange as I requested no such refund. The message with the refund says " merry Xmas. dnt leave negative feed back im by you a gift. if you do i wnt be happy."   Ok, weird but let's see what arrives.....

I figured that the books were sent out by someone at the store / house that packaged them with no bag and board or something and that this was a way to head off a complaint. To my surprise, I received the books yesterday, well packaged and no damage. I then received a message that says "hope you enjoy your comics. May the force be with u." It's late at night when I open them and I figure I'll give this some thought. I'm on the Gulf Coast and in the cone for Hurricane DELTA so I have a few other things on my mind.

Early, this morning I receive another eBay message from the seller. I put in the #$ to mask the language, the rest is his verbage -  "hey f#$k nut to much to say thank you u ungrateful peice of s#$t."

What in the world am I supposed to do with this? Thank goodness I had the items shipped to my PO Box or this nutjob would have my home address. I thought I had seen or heard it all on eBay. (shrug)

So let me get this straight

You got $160 worth of free books, in which seller clearly said "Merry Christmas" and you didn't say thanks? Then started a thread on a comic book forum complaining about it?

I have one question

If someone saved your life, would you go home and give it some thought before saying thanks?

On 10/8/2020 at 11:27 AM, dave32563 said:

I guess I just didn't understand any of the communication. Why did he ask me not to leave neg feedback? I've never done that. Why did he refund all the $$ while the books were in transit? The grammar made me think I was dealing with a child or something. And now all their listings have disappeared. There's something off about this....... But I think I might take your suggestion

It might be because he issued the refund before you got the books, and feared you might take that as a cancellation of some kind despite the provided tracking #'s, and leaving a neg. If that's what he did, he'd do better waiting until you have the books before kindly surprising you.

Still, it sounds like you're dealing with at least two personalities, so I'd drop it and hope the friendly one explains it to the hostile one(s)

Edited by MR SigS

I remember making a decent deal with a couple sellers on this board, our first ever deal. The deal greatly benefited me.

One said to the other "Should we make this deal?"

The other responded "if we do we have a client for life"

I've spent thousands with them

22 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

people are weird , i notice young people want to coordinate things that are complex and with important details through texts .. and i'm like we need talk about this on the phone

Absolutely. Some people want to exchange texts over the span of an hour or more, and the same conversation could be had in a few minutes. Baffling. I'm cool with texting when it's just shooting the $heet or whatever, but when something needs to get done/coordinated I'll usually call. 

5 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

That's how I read  this.   Yes, the seller could have been more patient and yes, his behavior is very Dr jekyll and Mr Hyde but a quick thanks would have been appropriate and clearly what he expected.

Yeah, the guy seems a little unhinged, but that last bit could have been easily avoided. 

44 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Yeah, the guy seems a little unhinged, but that last bit could have been easily avoided. 

For years we would give our nieces and nephews $100 each for Christmas.  Some would thank us and some wouldn't.  Not getting thanked really twisted our kidneys and eventually we quit giving to those who didn't thank us.  We never flipped out after a day

I've always said if you have to thank someone then its not a gift but a transaction.  That being said, I was mailing gifts drawings and stickers to a friend's 6 year old that lives in another state and I was pretty much ignored by mom so I stopped doing it.  

8 hours ago, kav said:

I've always said if you have to thank someone then its not a gift but a transaction.  That being said, I was mailing gifts drawings and stickers to a friend's 6 year old that lives in another state and I was pretty much ignored by mom so I stopped doing it.  

Kav ignored...:whatthe:

9 hours ago, kav said:

When I was 12 I had an Aunt who was mailing me the magazine The Rampaging Hulk. She knew her nephew well: I was a Hulk fanatic and was collecting everything Hulk related with my paper route money. I didn't have these magazines though, I had never seen them before.

I received the first 9 issues from her. She mailed me an issue each month, then it suddenly stopped and it isn't hard to guess why. I am ashamed to admit I never thanked her.

You don't do a favor for someone in order to receive thanks. BUT, if you are the recipient of such a favor, good etiquette would require you to tender said thanks.

It's a weird scenario because if the person was legit in their motive, then a thank you would be forthcoming. But the phrasing and everything would put me ill at ease, I'd keep waiting for the other shoe to drop as I tried to figure out what the scam was exactly. 

9 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

When I was 12 I had an Aunt who was mailing me the magazine The Rampaging Hulk. She knew her nephew well: I was a Hulk fanatic and was collecting everything Hulk related with my paper route money. I didn't have these magazines though, I had never seen them before.

I received the first 9 issues from her. She mailed me an issue each month, then it suddenly stopped and it isn't hard to guess why. I am ashamed to admit I never thanked her.

The thing of it is, I wanted to share the joy of the six year old daughter's reactions to getting these packages in the mail.  Mail is a huge deal to children.  I wanted to share in the joy.  Mom denied me that so I lost interest.