• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Batman 49 - misgraded? GRADE REVEAL
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Was it graded too low or too high?   Inquiring minds want to know!   Here is the pix of the book (in a slab).  What do you think is the appropriate technical grade for this book?  For what it's worth, assume the book was not pressed.  There will be a grade reveal in a day or two.   

Just to make sure all potentially important things are considered, there appear to be the following non-color-breaking printer creases (see the close-up pix):  (1) on the top-right front cover, the line over "THRILLS" and the line under "The Joker"; and (2) on the left-mid back cover, the line over "Amazing 4 Way".   If I am mistaken about one or all three being printer creases, please let me know when you comment.     

1965780933_Batman49-front.thumb.jpg.90ee4b10e4d24823115acbb48bbee51e.jpg

IMG_1146.thumb.jpg.abfc74998f6d575ca7f3b3ec84350dfe.jpg

IMG_1143.thumb.jpg.648e2ac2032a96edd6fca3152200b9fa.jpg

IMG_1145.thumb.jpg.5b7348bc414b0bc116ed26e699fb86b6.jpg

Edited by Pantodude

There now should be four pix above.   Also, please let me know if it would be appropriate to disclose the identity of the slabber (assuming it was not CGC) with the grade reveal, in case the overwhelming consensus is that the book was misgraded.  

Edited by Pantodude

Thanks for everyone's estimates.  Leaving out the outliers, looks like the consensus is 7.5-8.0, closer to 8.0.   The book was graded 7.0.   Perhaps not woefully undergraded, but enough to suggest that this non-CGC grader lacked either experience with Golden Age books, experience with printer creases (i.e., should not have discounted for them), or both.   A potential reason for sticking with CGC for older books?   

If any of you counted the printer creases to lower the technical grade, and assuming that is a no-no here, could you be so kind to restate your estimate of the technical grade without that deduction?   

Edited by Pantodude

Interesting...

I still believe the book is a 7.5 all day with a max of 8.0 on a good day based of course only on the FC/BC.

The 1 inch crease lower right FC alone brings it down to an 8.0 imo. Factor in the the other minor defects for a .5 deduction and voila, 7.5

its a really nice copy nonetheless, however, I would consider taking my chances by resubmitting a book of this caliber 

Thanks and good luck

Edited by Funnybooks

Just now, Funnybooks said:

Interesting...

I still believe the book is a 7.5 all day with a max of 8.0 on a good day based of course only on the FC/BC.

The 1 inch crease lower right FC alone brings it done to an 8.0 imo. Factor in the the other minor defects for a .5 deduction and voila, 7.5

its a really nice copy nonetheless, however, I would consider taking my chances by resubmitting a book of this caliber 

Thanks and good luck

Ah.  But that lower right front corner crease is less than 3/4", so I figured possibly max of 9.0, or 8.5 since less than an inch?      

8 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Ah.  But that lower right front corner crease is less than 3/4", so I figured possibly max of 9.0, or 8.5 since less than an inch?      

That’s fair

A crease less than 1 inch... on a very good day, I can envision a grade as high as 8.5 but I would find it very difficult to grade it 9.0

I’ll stick with 7.5/good chance at 8.0

Edited by Funnybooks

10 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I hate to agree with "the other company", but I was thinking 7.0 

Regardless great book! Classic cover! 

Agreed.  After pouring over hi-res pix of this issue on Heritage, ComicLink, anywhere really, this appears to be a great looking 7.0.  That is why I wondered whether the grader evaluated this book as if it were a BA or SA book, or perhaps didn't know how to addess printer creases. 

Edited by Pantodude

Interestingly, this issue varies significantly from book to book with respect to how well the inking remains within its designated areas, like Joker's eyebrows (on some books yellow eyebrows), eyes (on some books blue from eyelid extends to white of eyes), and mouth (red and even yellow encroaches face), and Batman's body (some migrating yellows and blues).   On some books, the red and/or yellow encroaches quite a bit into the white text area of "The Joker in 'Batman's Arabian Nights.'"   

I also noticed that this issue often has the staples going through the front cover along the left edge, which are visible from the front cover.  Normal for GA, I expect.  Luckily, this book's staples are centered on the spine, which helps the eye appeal a bit too.     

This all just reminds me that sometimes old-school, in-hand evaluations remain worthwhile in this virtual marketplace, if one has the time and opportunity.   Makes me appreciate the sellers who allow for returns on slabs.  

Edited by Pantodude