• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which artists do you like but are not (yet) represented in your collection, and why not?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Answering good grape + ape's call for more thrilling new threads.  }:-)

Larsen comes to mind.  Prime nostalgia, but only for his Spidey titles... and I'm not infatuated enough to shell out the big bucks.

Simonson on Thor, due to the general unavailability of his published OA (as is widely known).

Matt Wagner on Grendel (Hunter Rose).  Very bizarre reason here.  Every time I've been "into" Grendel, I'd inexplicably get sucked into a hard time in my life.  Every single time.  The ultimate "bad luck" character for me.  I just know if I pick up Wagner Grendel OA, a continent-sized meteor will crash into earth.

BIll Everett.  Priced out of his Marvel Mystery Comics work.  MMC 2 one of my fave comics in the personal collection.

Will think of more... meanwhile have at it, y'all.

Edited by exitmusicblue

12 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Answering good grape + ape's call for more thrilling new threads.  }:-)

Larsen comes to mind.  Prime nostalgia, but only for his Spidey titles... and I'm not infatuated enough to shell out the big bucks.

Simonson on Thor, due to the general unavailability of his published OA (as is widely known).

Matt Wagner on Grendel (Hunter Rose).  Very bizarre reason here.  Every time I've been "into" Grendel, I'd inexplicably get sucked into a hard time in my life.  Every single time.  The ultimate "bad luck" character for me.  I just know if I pick up Wagner Grendel OA, a continent-sized meteor will crash into earth.

BIll Everett.  Priced out of his Marvel Mystery Comics work.  MMC 2 one of my fave comics in the personal collection.

Will think of more... meanwhile have at it, y'all.

Bill Everett....he did a lot more than MMC...

Interesting thread

For me...I have a few artists that are represented in my collection with minor pieces, not many blanks but with some thought here are 5:

- Steranko - I have a signature on a comic, almost a work of art in itself - the right minor piece hasn't come my way and a major piece is a bit pricey!

- Mignola (although 1 minor inking job) - I feel I should be able to fill this one, I have been close on a few pieces

- Raymond - haven't focused my search but would like an example

- Foster - haven't focused my search but would like an example

- McCloud - an Understanding comics page would be nice

Edited by mtlevy1
grammar

7 hours ago, vodou said:

In no particular order...

• Paul Pope
  • Mignola
  • Allred
  • Jason Shawn Alexander
  • Marshall Arisman
  • Steranko
  • BWS
  • Everett
  • Suehiro Maruo
  • Leialoha
  • HJ Ward
  • Benjamin Marra
  • Josh Simmons
  • ROBERT CRUMB!
  • Spain
  • Moscoso
  • Feldstein
  • FLETCHER HANKS!
  • ...surely many more ;)

Jason Shawn Alexander has a website, and his prices are pretty good.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Jason Shawn Alexander has a website, and his prices are pretty good.

All those cats are obtainable, except Fletcher (I'm aware of only ONE original - for sure, not going anywhere either :( ), it's all just a matter of time and priorities.

You can have it ALL, but not TODAY ;)

How did I forget TOTH?! Duh.

Some reasons I’m missing examples of artists listed below are related to finances obviously. The other reason is not finding the right example (for me). Except for the first year of collecting I have fought the urge to complete a checklist. You know, “hey its Bill Everett 1941, you have one panel with Sub-Mariners elbow...”

Alex Toth....I have a book of his art

Wally Wood...where to start

Robert Crumb,..related to Charles Bukowski 

Steranko Nick Fury agent of Shield 1 cover

Lou Fine

Will Eisner

Mac Raboy Flash Gordon

Tradd Moore SSB

Joe Simon Cap

Alex Raymond

Hal Foster

Anything Phantom Stranger. There’s one nut out there drives the price up on all the artists.

A more or less complete list of those not represented:

• Shuster Superman
  • Kirby Thor or New Gods page
  • Marshall Rogers Detective (Batman) page from his wonderful run with Steve Englehart and Terry Austin
  • Sprang Batman
  • Ditko Creeper
  • Everett Sub-Mariner page

Plus two that are, but not in this specific combination:

• Swan/Klein Superman or LSH page
  • Mayer Scribbly page (if there are any)

- $$$$ are the main reasons. :)

Edited by alxjhnsn

Barry Windsor Smith - a Machine Man, Weapon X or X-Men example would be nice to add 

Art Adams- I’m pretty sure Art’s new art is better - and that’s saying something! 

Jack Kirby- I dig his run on Cap during his return to Marvel. Kirby/Royer were an outstanding art team.

Those are my big voids. My next tier down would be - Neal Adams, Michael Golden and Wrightson.

In the join the club category, I too would like a page from John Buscema’s Conan and Sal’s Hulk (small minor page(s) would be fine). While I’m trying to thin the heard of abundant art, give me a Davis’ Garfield daily too. 

I gonna leave off one artist that I am fixing to check off my list, so it won’t remind one of you to do the same and you scoop up the page I have my eye on ; )

Edited by gumbydarnit

These are artist I do not have an example yet. Most are due to being very scarce or expensive.

Charles Adams - His art is even more rare I especially want an Adams family piece.

Edward Gorey - Another great artist who's art is super rare.

Joe Shuster - A good Superman figure drawing

Jack Cole - Plastic Man almost none of his Plastic Man art exists

Vargas - Signed color piece

Jim Lee is one. I can't figure out how to value his stuff. 

Is a page from the XM run inked by Portacio with Wolverine on it  worth more than a page from the UXM run inked by Williams with other X-Men but no Wolverine on it?

Or do I just go with a Hush page? I like X-Men more, but hey, who doesn't like Batman. What's that? Hush sells for more than X-Men? or does it?

It just gets reeeeally complicated IMO

6 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Jim Lee is one. I can't figure out how to value his stuff. 

Is a page from the XM run inked by Portacio with Wolverine on it  worth more than a page from the UXM run inked by Williams with other X-Men but no Wolverine on it?

Or do I just go with a Hush page? I like X-Men more, but hey, who doesn't like Batman. What's that? Hush sells for more than X-Men? or does it?

It just gets reeeeally complicated IMO

Buy what you like. If you don’t plan to flip it, price doesn’t matter if you can afford it.