• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which artists do you like but are not (yet) represented in your collection, and why not?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Modern:

Tradd Moore- never appreciated his style still SSB. PERFECT marriage of subject matter and artistic style and finally got to appreciate his sequential storytelling. Here's the rub, now while he's done many things only a SSB page can scratch that itch.

Nostalgia:

David Mazzucchelli Born Again - a supply side issue 😄

Mike Mignola - recent Comic Art Live #15 most everyone mentioned Mignola as an artist that isn't represented in their collection. Just haven't found/seen the piece that speaks to me. Doesn't even have to be HB.

Darwyn Cooke- really want a New Frontier page with Wonder Woman. Another supply side issue 😄

Too many to list, but off the top of my head I'd like to secure pieces from the following.  The largest barrier they share is likely price and finding the right example (or an example).

Kirby.  Would love something from his New Gods work.

Mazzucchelli.  Daredevil!

Maleev.  Also Daredevil.

Raboy.  Flash!...ah ah!

Ribic.  Silver Surfer Requiem.  When I first started collecting OA, I actually held the cover to #3 in my hands at the Baltimore Con.  It was priced just under $6K, but I wasn't ready.  Held it in my hands...sigh.

Frank Miller.  Something from his early work.

Jock.  Something from Black Mirror would be neat.

Coipel.  Just a nice example would suffice.

Lee Weeks.  Just a nice example.

Capullo.  Either from his Batman run with Snyder, or something from Spawn.

John Cassaday.  Planetary!

Colleen Doran.  There's a few DPS from Snow, Glass, Apples that I'd love to own.  Doubtful it'll happen, but would be cool.  

Joelle Jones.  Something, something...Catwoman or Wonder Woman.

And last, but not least:  Tradd Moore and Silver Surfer: Black.  Duh.

22 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

Ribic.  Silver Surfer Requiem.  When I first started collecting OA, I actually held the cover to #3 in my hands at the Baltimore Con.  It was priced just under $6K, but I wasn't ready.  Held it in my hands...sigh.

I'd love to see those Requiem pages in person...sigh too.

Kirby. Preferably Silver Surfer something but prolly priced out of that.

Jeff Purves Hulk

Art Adams

Silvestri

Jim Lee

McFarlane

Byrne

BWS

Keown

McGuinness

Most of my wants but not yet haves from artists are because of prohibitive cost and availability. But here's some artists I'd love to get pieces from, in no particular order:

Art Adams: early 90s stuff

John Byrne: She-Hulk (but X-Men or FF would be fine, too)

Mike Mignola: I actually really like his X-Men Classic covers

Marc Silvestri: Wolverine!

Ron Lim: Silver Surfer or Infinity Gautlet

George Perez: Infinity Gauntlet or Teen Titans

Erik Larsen: Spider-Man

Todd McFarlane: Spider-Man

Tim Sale: Batgirl cover

Bruce Timm: something published

Jim Lee: X-Men, but Albert still has affordable pieces from newer stuff and I'm working toward one of those

Then there are the older artists like Jack Kirby and John Buscema that'd I'd love to have works from that I may never get. But hey, collecting is as much an adventure as it is a hobby, so never say never!

Edited by BuraddoRun

Add me to the Tradd Moore SSB pile. I’m not sure if that’ll ever happen for me, but hope springs eternal, so I’ll pretend it’ll happen someday. And why not? Because :GesturesTowardsGiantPile:...

Art Adams FF work, especially the alternate FF group he drew. I mean, how can you go wrong with a Ghost Rider, Spidey, Wolverine and the Hulk super-group? You can’t. The stars just haven’t yet aligned for me on that front.

Gil Kane. I was late to the game in appreciating his work, so now I have to sort through what becomes available. This one will happen, I think.

Ditko. Ideally, a Spidey page, but I want a flying car, too. Let’s call that aspirational.

McFarlane. Also Spidey. Also aspirational.

Edited by Latverian Tourism Board
To add McFarlane. An exhaustive list would be boring to read, but can’t leave him off.

Sticking to the realm of things that are possible without some major change in financial standing (so no Bill Watterson type stuff on this list), I'd say:

Bruce Timm - One of those situations where the pricing on the lower tier stuff is such that it's more than I'm willing to pay just to have something, so I'm always holding out for an example I really like.  Plus given the sketchy provenance with a lot of the BT stuff that is floating around out there, I'd really prefer a published piece.  

Art Adams - He's a dream commission artist for me, but that's something that will likely never happen.  Regardless, I'd really like to get my hands on one of his retro space girl pieces. 

Gene Colan - The first comic book I ever bought was an issue of Night Force.  For nostalgia alone, I'd like to get something from that issue.

George Perez - His 80s run on the Teen Titans with Wolfman was what firmly set the comic hook in me as a kid, so it's always felt like I should get around to picking up a nice example one of these days.

Scott Shaw - An admittedly silly one to have on the list, but I was a sucker for goofy/pun-filled stuff as a kid (arguably still am!) and want to eventually find a good Captain Carrot example.

Jack Davis - There's a lot available, which sort of works against me since any time something at auction catches my fancy, I end up deciding not to pursue it too aggressively, since I always figure something I like even better will come up later on.

David Wright - Another situation where there's a fairly good amount floating around to choose from, but I keep holding out for the perfect one.

I have been thinking about this for a few days... There is SO much.. and I have checked a lot of boxes.. but top 5 within realistic budget..

I am working on my X-men project so some of these artists would need to be specific runs. 

JRJR- First run X-men

BWS- I want something but not sure what...

George Perez- Big hole in my collection because there are so many things he has done I love just have not clicked on the right one yet

Bill Sienkiewicz- I keep talking myself out of none published pieces hoping I find the right published

Todd Mcfarlane- hopefully I can land a hulk page before they get beyond me..

And this one does not fit because I have a couple of his pieces. but no X-men ... Jim Lee