• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MTU 131?!?
2 2

11 posts in this topic

OK, please confirm that I did not wake up in the Twilight Zone and justify why Marvel Team-Up 131 is selling for a higher price than any other Marvel Team-Up with the exception of issues 1 and 4?  

Marvel Team Up 131 is the first appearance of White Rabbit, it has a black cover and stars Spider-Man and Frog-Man.  What am I missing here?  A 9.8 sold not too long ago on E-Bay for over $700.  I thought that there was a couple of overly zealous bidders that really, REALLY wanted that book but there's now another one up for auction on E-Bay that has eclipsed $400 with 2 days remaining.  

What is the draw to this book?  White Rabbit and Frogman are jokes.  The black cover would make it a bit more but nothing to this degree.  I'm super confused as to the popularity of this book!!  

Edited by Robert Doggett

41 minutes ago, Robert Doggett said:

OK, please confirm that I did not wake up in the Twilight Zone and justify why Marvel Team-Up 131 is selling for a higher price than any other Marvel Team-Up with the exception of issues 1 and 4?  

Marvel Team Up 131 is the first appearance of White Rabbit, it has a black cover and stars Spider-Man and Frog-Man.  What am I missing here?  A 9.8 sold not to long ago on E-Bay for over $700.  I thought that there was a couple of overly zealous bidders that really, REALLY wanted that book but there's now another one up for auction on E-Bay that has eclipsed $400 with 2 days remaining.  

What is the draw to this book?  White Rabbit and Frogman are jokes.  The black cover would make it a bit more but nothing to this degree.  I'm super confused as to the popularity of this book!!  

Yeah weird to me as well.  There was some discussion in the Heating up Thread too.

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Yeah weird to me as well.  There was some discussion in the Heating up Thread too.

Telerites, White Rabbit is an afterthought at best.  I was three days away from getting this book CGC 9.8 for $100.  I took it for granted that it would have been on wwcomics.com until I bought it.  Now I'm kicking myself for it.  But the price hike is soooo undeserved.  I'll wait for the fanboys to get all of their copies and I'll get one in a few months at normal prices.  Issue 141 (tied first black costume) goes for about $600, issue 65 (first Captain Britain in US print) goes for about $500.  Granted issue 10 recently sold for $1K, I don't think it's worth that much.  Alas, it was to somebody.

On 10/9/2020 at 10:04 PM, Robert Doggett said:

OK, please confirm that I did not wake up in the Twilight Zone

We've been in that zone, on-and-off, since at least 2012.

8 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

MTU #141 is tied with Spectacular Spider-Man #90 for second black costume.

I always thought it was ASM 252.  Thanks for the insight!

Not the point of my post, though!  Not here to argue semantics, just want to know why this book is worth so much to some people.

15 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

MTU #141 is tied with Spectacular Spider-Man #90 for second black costume.

MTU #141 & SS-M #90 came out the same month as ASM #252. Although, ASM #252 came out on the first week of Feb.1984, SS-M #90 came out on the third week and MTU #141 came out on the last week of Feb.1984. The only reason that MTU #141 gets more love and is usually worth more than SS-M #90 is because Spidey is actually wearing the black costume on the cover, unlike SS-M #90. 

Also, it doesn't hurt that CGC wrote on it's label for MTU #141 "Ties with AMS #252 for, for 1st appearance of the black costume" Unlike SS-M #90 where it wrote "1st black costume in title".

8 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

MTU #141 & SS-M #90 came out the same month as ASM #252. Although, ASM #252 came out on the first week of Feb.1984, SS-M #90 came out on the third week and MTU #141 came out on the last week of Feb.1984. The only reason that MTU #141 gets more love and is usually worth more than SS-M #90 is because Spidey is actually wearing the black costume on the cover, unlike SS-M #90. 

Also, it doesn't hurt that CGC wrote on it's label for MTU #141 "Ties with AMS #252 for, for 1st appearance of the black costume" Unlike SS-M #90 where it wrote "1st black costume in title".

Thanks for the explanation of why MTU 131 sold for over $1K last night!

6 hours ago, Robert Doggett said:

Thanks for the explanation of why MTU 131 sold for over $1K last night!

its  perplexing for sure,  All I can think of is a misconception that it might be scarcer in high grade because of black cover and  census #'s  but I know that will change very quickly at these prices.    It is a character that COULD have an easy positive reception on the screen but wow,.... lots of bucks flying

4 hours ago, comic_memories said:

its  perplexing for sure,  All I can think of is a misconception that it might be scarcer in high grade because of black cover and  census #'s  but I know that will change very quickly at these prices.    It is a character that COULD have an easy positive reception on the screen but wow,.... lots of bucks flying

$1009 for the E-Bay auction that ended last night.  

Nobody touched the one that sold for $710 when it was for sale @ $600 the week before.