• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I dip my toe in the graded pond?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Summydad1 said:

I didn’t read through everyone’s posts so sorry if I am repeating. 

Diversity is the spice of life. I like raw, graded, TPB’s, omnibuses. I just would only ever collect CGC graded books. Their cases look best in my opinion. 

My method is raws for all runs and modern keys under $300. CGC for older/more valuable keys. 

I like how you nutshelled your method.  I was thinking something very similar. The thing is with those popular runs (ASM etc.) and older runs it is almost impossible to find ungraded copies of some books in good condition.  I guess I could always crack them if I wanted.  I guess I need to ask what price am I willing to pay for a raw book before I would prefer to guarantee the value by buying graded

1 hour ago, poorcollector said:

I like how you nutshelled your method.  I was thinking something very similar. The thing is with those popular runs (ASM etc.) and older runs it is almost impossible to find ungraded copies of some books in good condition.  I guess I could always crack them if I wanted.  I guess I need to ask what price am I willing to pay for a raw book before I would prefer to guarantee the value by buying graded

I have definitely cracked slabs and added to a raw run of books. The older CGC slabs are much easier to open and a lot of times grade higher than the stated grade. Also, a CGC 7.0 will always look better than a comic sold as a “raw 7.0.” 

One trait I do not possess in abundance is patience. I have had to learn patience when building raw runs. I learned that if you are patient, no matter how old a book is and no matter what the run is, the right book will show up at the right price. Especially ASM or titles that popular. 

4 hours ago, poorcollector said:

Another good rule is "buy the book, not the grade." I have books that I just want to have in my collection that present as nicely as possible, and I don't necessarily care about the grade. Take for example my recent Batman 244 purchase. I'd wanted this book for a while, and I saw an auction on eBay for a 6.5, but this is the book:

IMG_4970.thumb.JPG.f05ada8d9ca2ac739f930e8c4d4ce9b1.JPG

There was some sun shadow on the back of the book, on the bottom cover and a bit on the side - apparently CGC knocks that down quite a bit, because it's seen as staining. But the cover presentation honestly looks like a 9.0. As it was, I paid easy 6.5 money for the book, and it's so much better looking in-hand, just a gorgeous copy. I was seeing 7.5-8.5 graded copies that didn't look as good on the front, and I was seeing raw copies going for $120-$140 that easily looked worse. I paid $99. This is one of my favorite covers ever, and the front looks beautiful. So to me, I thought, who cares what the number at the top says? I got a great looking copy at what I looked at like a deal price. And if I ever need to sell, I'm not going to get a blockbuster deal probably, but I should at least break even. So ask yourself if you want a gorgeous book to admire, or need to have the top-rated copy.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:22 AM, poorcollector said:

So you only buy graded books out of necessity?  Did you feel forced or are you okay with having those books slabbed?  Are you sending those books in for protection/keepsake reasons?

I knew if I waited I could find what I wanted, but I was a mixture of impatient and curious. Looking at slabs as well as raw just widens the field. I had never owned one, and I knew it was only a matter of time until I wanted a big enough key that a slabbed copy would be likely.

I don't feel forced, and that first slab purchase, I actually considered cracking it out, but once I got it in hand I kind of liked it in the slab.

The two main ways I see slabs playing a role in my collection is 1) for comics I intend to or may sell, and 2) for protection for high value keys.

For instance, I have a near complete FF run except for some lower issues. When it's complete I anticipate 1-12 maybe being in slabs, but I may slab further out. 48 & 49 will probably remain in slabs. But most will remain raw. I don't anticipate slabbing past 52 in any case.

Edited by Doctor Dositheus

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What makes you consider buying graded comics? What kinda comics are you into?

I consider buying graded when a book is expensive enough for me to feel uncomfortable buying a raw copy so I would buy graded to ensure value and desired grade.  Me not pulling the trigger on some graded copies has made me miss out on a few books because I didn't want the slab, but wasn't comfortable buying the raw copy (because I couldn't risk the money if it wasn't graded properly).  This last sentence is the reason I am asking this question now.  I am collecting silver, bronze age keys and runs, and modern keys that I would be willing to get graded or have graded.

2 minutes ago, poorcollector said:

I consider buying graded when a book is expensive enough for me to feel uncomfortable buying a raw copy so I would buy graded to ensure value and desired grade.  Me not pulling the trigger on some graded copies has made me miss out on a few books because I didn't want the slab, but wasn't comfortable buying the raw copy (because I couldn't risk the money if it wasn't graded properly).  This last sentence is the reason I am asking this question now.  I am collecting silver, bronze age keys and runs, and modern keys that I would be willing to get graded or have graded.

I personally don't see a reason to buy Modern graded, unless it's Signature Series.

For older stuff, I see the desire to have professionals that checked for restoration, and made sure it is authentic.

If you're looking to "invest" in comics, well, I would just advise to avoid that fad.

23 hours ago, poorcollector said:

I would probably stick to keys or books that are important to me. 

That is wise.  I only own 2 slabbed books, both purchased, not sent off.  One is a Captain Ameirca 101 (in 4.5 which doesn't need to remain slabbed), and the other is a Spawn 9.8 that I got an amazingly low $ deal on.   

21 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Another good rule is "buy the book, not the grade." I have books that I just want to have in my collection that present as nicely as possible, and I don't necessarily care about the grade. Take for example my recent Batman 244 purchase. I'd wanted this book for a while, and I saw an auction on eBay for a 6.5, but this is the book:

There was some sun shadow on the back of the book, on the bottom cover and a bit on the side - apparently CGC knocks that down quite a bit, because it's seen as staining. But the cover presentation honestly looks like a 9.0. As it was, I paid easy 6.5 money for the book, and it's so much better looking in-hand, just a gorgeous copy. I was seeing 7.5-8.5 graded copies that didn't look as good on the front, and I was seeing raw copies going for $120-$140 that easily looked worse. I paid $99. This is one of my favorite covers ever, and the front looks beautiful. So to me, I thought, who cares what the number at the top says? I got a great looking copy at what I looked at like a deal price. And if I ever need to sell, I'm not going to get a blockbuster deal probably, but I should at least break even. So ask yourself if you want a gorgeous book to admire, or need to have the top-rated copy.

That's only a 6.5! It puts me off getting any of my books graded. For example I've got an ASM #300 newsstand edition in very good condition except for a faint dark smudge in the top left white area of the front cover. Would that result in a 6 from CGC too? I'm from Australia so I'd have to send it to the United States and the return postage and handling is prohibitive anyway. The only grading service available over here is Halo which doesn't have a good reputation. 

5 hours ago, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

Buy what makes you happy man. Everyone has their preferences. Only you can decide what's right for your collection. That's the fun part! :)

I've been so hesitant to buy a slab because I love/love collecting raw books, but it looks like I will eventually have to dip my toe in when I go after certain books.  I am an over-thinker so I really dissecting my decision to pull a trigger on some slabbed books. 

Basically, if you're not confident in your grading skills, then graded is probably your best bet. If you're worried about over-paying, that's what CGC/etc is there for.

If you know how to grade; Don't be shy to disagree with CGC. Always buy the book and not the label. Everyone makes mistakes.

On 10/9/2020 at 10:33 PM, poorcollector said:

I do not own any slabs, and I am unsure of whether or not I want to start down the path. I know that some people love cgc books and some love raw book.  I understand there are a multitude of factors that go into whether someone does graded vs. raw books (cost, aesthetic etc.), but I want to get some of you all's opinions on whether I should start collecting graded comics. 

It all depends on what kind of comics you like and if you want to read them or collect the highest grades.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:56 AM, MattrixAlien said:

That's only a 6.5! It puts me off getting any of my books graded. For example I've got an ASM #300 newsstand edition in very good condition except for a faint dark smudge in the top left white area of the front cover. Would that result in a 6 from CGC too? I'm from Australia so I'd have to send it to the United States and the return postage and handling is prohibitive anyway. The only grading service available over here is Halo which doesn't have a good reputation. 

Hey mate - chuck some pics up in the “Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?” board and see what folks say... 

But, FWIW, as a fellow QLDer - I also don’t bother submitting. Easier to just pay to get the book already graded.