• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha Magic Cards
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Got my first CGC graded Alpha cards a few days ago-- and just stumbled on this forum.  Just wanted to say I'm super pleased with the look and fit of the cases-- eager to get more now-- keep up the good work : )

image0.jpeg

Edited by KipA
added photo

On 10/10/2020 at 8:56 AM, KipA said:

Got my first CGC graded Alpha cards a few days ago-- and just stumbled on this forum.  Just wanted to say I'm super pleased with the look and fit of the cases-- eager to get more now-- keep up the good work : )

image0.jpeg

The cases state "rare" on each of these.  Is that part of the title from the Alpha set, or is CGC identifying these as rare cards?

2 hours ago, Yorick said:

The cases state "rare" on each of these.  Is that part of the title from the Alpha set, or is CGC identifying these as rare cards?

in the Alpha release the cards you have are all rares from the set.

There were rares, uncommons and commons. "In 1993, though, Richard and his fledgling company were completely transparent about how many copies of each card were produced. We know for a fact that Alpha had a print run of 2.6 million cards."

So no those are not hard to find cards, there were 2.6 million of each printed.

Edited by Artboy99

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

in the Alpha release the cards you have are all rares from the set.

There were rares, uncommons and commons. "In 1993, though, Richard and his fledgling company were completely transparent about how many copies of each card were produced. We know for a fact that Alpha had a print run of 2.6 million cards."

that is not accurate. "The print run for each rare in Alpha was just 1,100. ... 4,500 of each Alpha uncommon were printed along with 16,000 of each Alpha common and 85,500 of each Alpha land"

Edited by Red84

4 minutes ago, Red84 said:

that is not accurate. "The print run for each rare in Alpha was just 1,100. ... 4,500 of each Alpha uncommon were printed along with 16,000 of each Alpha common and 85,500 of each Alpha land"

I quoted wiki.

If your information is more correct then thanks for the assist

16 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I think the problem with these statements is that you assumed each card had 2.6 million copies printed.  It seems more accurate that the total print run was 2.6 million cards (vs. 2.6 million of each card).  With 295 cards in Alpha, the average print run per card was ~8,800.  Obviously, not all cards were printed equally, so rares being around 1,100 each sounds correct to me.

1 hour ago, masterlogan2000 said:

I think the problem with these statements is that you assumed each card had 2.6 million copies printed.  It seems more accurate that the total print run was 2.6 million cards (vs. 2.6 million of each card).  With 295 cards in Alpha, the average print run per card was ~8,800.  Obviously, not all cards were printed equally, so rares being around 1,100 each sounds correct to me.

sounds good

17 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

There were rares, uncommons and commons

Ahh.  Okay.  I get it now.  I initially thought CGC was making that designation (which I would have a problem with), but I guess the designation comes from Wizards of the Coast.

9 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

We're lucky we can make these kinds of big generalizations about magic cards here on a comic forum without getting magic nerds raging on us, lol.  I had played it when Revise was big, sold off all my pristine cards in 2005, what a mistake that was, lol.  

I bet those cards the OP has are very rare in that condition, that speaks volumes he/she submitted to a new card grading company!

Edited by spreads