• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much More Should a 9.9 be worth?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

How much more should a a 9.9 be worth compared to a 9.8 exponentially?

I see on Ebay the rare 9.9 of an in-demand comics sells for multiples of 9.8's; or at least they ask for multiples; currently someone is asking $79,000 for Captain America 100.

As I've seen my own 9.8 Thor 337 damaged by the SCS I'm beginning to question the value of high grades.  One little shake or whatever and the comics loses points.  It seems to happen quite often.

For the GEM MINT 10's I've seen on Ebay they all seem to be the super-deluxe metallic comics that should be a 10 because they're made that way.  

What do y'all think? 

Probably depends on ratios and numbers and keyness and how many 9.9’s and 10.0’s there are

and luck and the economy and the title and how old it is and the selling venue

29 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Depends on what the CGC Census says.

Is there only one 9.9 in existence, with no CGC 10s?  That's one type of 9.9.

Are there 50 CGC 9.9s with 20 CGC 10s?  That's something completely different.

This is the best answer right here.  It is all a numbers game, always will be.

I personally think 9.9 and 10 are too fragile to pay a premium for. As was mentioned, these books can be damaged within their slabs accidentally, especially through shipping, with nothing to insure against such occurrences. Way too risky for me.

Personally, I see (with my eyes) no difference between 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 (in most cases...there have been some questionable 9.8 books to pop up over the years).

Because I cannot tell the difference, I put no value in 9.9 or 10.0s. 9.8 should be the top, otherwise it should be 9.6.

But that does not really answer the question. I think there are too many variables (as others have mentioned) to really determine a solid multiplier amount. If someone was selling a 9.8 for $200 and another person was selling a 9.9 for $250, well I would spend a smidge more if the book was really desired. But $100-200 more? No way. 

Also, if I sent two identical books in and one returned CGC 9.8 and the other a 9.9 or a 10.0, I would sell the 9.9 or 10 in a heartbeat? Why? People are crazy. I already have the consensus perfect book and to get a bunch of money in return for th 9.9/10 to put towards better stuff is the route I would take. 

33 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Personally, I see (with my eyes) no difference between 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 (in most cases...there have been some questionable 9.8 books to pop up over the years).

Because I cannot tell the difference, I put no value in 9.9 or 10.0s. 9.8 should be the top, otherwise it should be 9.6.

But that does not really answer the question. I think there are too many variables (as others have mentioned) to really determine a solid multiplier amount. If someone was selling a 9.8 for $200 and another person was selling a 9.9 for $250, well I would spend a smidge more if the book was really desired. But $100-200 more? No way. 

Also, if I sent two identical books in and one returned CGC 9.8 and the other a 9.9 or a 10.0, I would sell the 9.9 or 10 in a heartbeat? Why? People are crazy. I already have the consensus perfect book and to get a bunch of money in return for th 9.9/10 to put towards better stuff is the route I would take. 

I honestly feel like whenever I see a more vintage book in 9.9 or 10.0, there's definitely a difference to most, if not all 9.8's. Just seems like it's a decent amount crisper with the corners/edges, the spine is more flat with perfectly centered staples, no dings/stress marks whatsoever on the spine. I don't know. I hear where you're coming from and don't get me wrong, I've seen some super nice 9.8's that made me feel like how is that not a 9.9. But I think I do see a difference personally.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 10/12/2020 at 9:51 AM, valiantman said:

Depends on what the CGC Census says.

Is there only one 9.9 in existence, with no CGC 10s?  That's one type of 9.9.

Are there 50 CGC 9.9s with 20 CGC 10s?  That's something completely different.

Yeah that's a great point! I remember when the only Shazam 1 CGC 9.9 went up for auction, and I know who owns it. I believe 9.8's at the time were selling for about $450-$600 on the average. The 9.9 hammered at $9900. I really thought it would go for about a 1000% of what a 9.8 was going for or like $5K, I think my final bid was around there. Was super impressed when it dropped double that. I definitely agree though just like with any grade, how many are graded out affects it as well.

23 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I honestly feel like whenever I see a more vintage book in 9.9 or 10.0, there's definitely a difference to most, if not all 9.8's. Just seems like it's a decent amount crisper with the corners/edges, the spine is more flat with perfectly centered staples, no dings/stress marks whatsoever on the spine. I don't know. I hear where you're coming from and don't get me wrong, I've seen some super nice 9.8's that made me feel like how is that not a 9.9. But I think I do see a difference personally.

Fair enough

I think of it like cars. There are two 1970 Dodge Challengers. One was immmaculate, literally driven off the production floor and into someones garage where it was loved until now and the other was the same but has a one inch paint scratch near the rear bumper that would require tehnical "restoration" by applying new paint. The pristine one costs 1 million dollars and the scratch one costs 50 000. I am buying the 50 000. 

Granted car resto and comic resto are viewed vastly different which I suppose plays a role but thats my analogy and I am sticking to it. I still got a hella nice car for a great deal and to the average person, parked side by side they look like twins anyway unless the seasoned pro does a walk around and notices my bumper blemish. 

44 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Fair enough

I think of it like cars. There are two 1970 Dodge Challengers. One was immmaculate, literally driven off the production floor and into someones garage where it was loved until now and the other was the same but has a one inch paint scratch near the rear bumper that would require tehnical "restoration" by applying new paint. The pristine one costs 1 million dollars and the scratch one costs 50 000. I am buying the 50 000. 

Granted car resto and comic resto are viewed vastly different which I suppose plays a role but thats my analogy and I am sticking to it. I still got a hella nice car for a great deal and to the average person, parked side by side they look like twins anyway unless the seasoned pro does a walk around and notices my bumper blemish. 

No in the car scenario I definitely agree and hear where you're coming from. I think to purchase the 1 million dollar version, it would have to had been owned by like a super famous dodge car creator or raced by like Steve McQueen, and even then lol. But yeah, resto I'd say is definitely very different and unique between cars and comics.

I’m happy there are 9.9 and 10.0 collectors. Means if I ever get one I have buyers.

But to the original question I think setting out a definitive number as a multiplier is hard. 

If someone is selling a 9.9 or 10.0 and is scared of letting it go “too cheap” then price it very high. If you are sitting on said book for months after advertising in multiple places well maybe your price is outta range. 

For example, I had a book recently I wanted to move within a month. I priced it high at $450 and got nothing within a week. But I also posted open to offers and ultimately went with the best one. Do the same with a 10.0 book. Make the price high but be very clear you will entertain all offers that make sense (making sense would be offers more than what 9.8 goes for)

Edited by comicginger1789

If you guys wanna watch a fun auction, follow this Secret Wars #8 CGC 10.0 selling in the November ComicLink auction. It looks like 9.8’s sell for about $400-$450 on the average. I wouldn’t be surprised if this 10.0, which surprisingly there are 4 of will sell for upwards of $15K-$25K. Added the census numbers as well.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2020nov%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26pg%3D6%23Item_1437366&id=1437366&itemType=0

48B09FA6-24E8-471C-8098-56AA0DAD5AD4.jpeg

E5218DF7-3FE6-43D6-8AAF-68BC051CF65E.jpeg

On 10/10/2020 at 3:11 PM, Tafkap said:

How much more should a a 9.9 be worth compared to a 9.8 exponentially?

I see on Ebay the rare 9.9 of an in-demand comics sells for multiples of 9.8's; or at least they ask for multiples; currently someone is asking $79,000 for Captain America 100.

As I've seen my own 9.8 Thor 337 damaged by the SCS I'm beginning to question the value of high grades.  One little shake or whatever and the comics loses points.  It seems to happen quite often.

For the GEM MINT 10's I've seen on Ebay they all seem to be the super-deluxe metallic comics that should be a 10 because they're made that way.  

What do y'all think? 

If it hasnt been clear with the answers by now, there's no actual answer to this. If you have a 9.9 and you want to sell it, best put it up for auction to see what people are willing to spend on that particular book.