• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

crack out book yourself prior to cross-over or re-grade submission?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi. Is it better to crack out the book yourself before submitting a slabbed book for crossover or regrade, or should you just send CGC the slab as is with the request for CGC and/or CSS services?   

Relatedly, if you  send a CGC slab to CGC for services requiring a new slab/certification, I am assuming CGC will void/remove its old certification.  But what if the slab is from CBCS--does CGC inform CBCS that it should void the certification?   And if you crack it out yourself before sending the book to CGC, is there is a way to inform CGC, CBCS, etc. that the old certification should be cancelled?  

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/10/2020 at 4:44 PM, Pantodude said:

Hi. Is it better to crack out the book yourself before submitting a slabbed book for crossover or regrade, or should you just send CGC the slab as is with the request for CGC and/or CSS services?   

Relatedly, if you  send a CGC slab to CGC for services requiring a new slab/certification, I am assuming CGC will void/remove its old certification.  But what if the slab is from CBCS--does CGC inform CBCS that it should void the certification?   And if you crack it out yourself before sending the book to CGC, is there is a way to inform CGC, CBCS, etc. that the old certification should be cancelled?  

1. I don't think so.
  2. CGC, yes. CBCS, I'm not sure.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:44 PM, Pantodude said:

OK, here goes... 

1) Yes, I always keep a slabbed book in the slab if I'm sending it back to CGC for any reason. And I'm sure that CGC is painfully familiar with this process.  2)  CGC will recertify the book unless they can keep the old certification intact (such as on a re-holder that only needs the outer shell replaced). 3) I may be wrong, but I doubt that CGC would contact CBCS about any recertification issues.  4) If you crack a book out and resubmit it to CGC, include the old label with the book. Other than the necessary paperwork required, that should be all you need to do to inform them.

I hope this helps...  :foryou:

Edited by The Lions Den