• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which artists did you like but never represented in your collection, and now you're okay with that, and why?
1 1

65 posts in this topic

A take on a current CGC thread. Being relatively new, I'm curious to hear from folks that been at this for a long while.

Does the desire to own a page or an example from an artist ever die out?

Is there an example or artist you wanted - never managed to get - and now are okay (even happy) about it?

I wouldn't say happy, but there are many that I have moved on from. You cannot get them all, although I do remember times planning on buying every Starman page and working out what that would cost me and I also went through the BWS Storyteller books and ranked every page so I could "inquire" intelligently.

All desires fade with time, just some more than others. I try to have a collection and not just an accumulation so some things do not fit anymore as time marches on. There was a time I considered selling most everything for a nice Ditko Doctor Strange page. The numbers worked but I realized I was okay without the Ditko, it was Ditko and awesome but I loved me my Brunner and Colan too and I could be okay without. Most of us are not laser focused and there is always something shiny out there. I have some regrets with regards to missed opportunities with women and music, but comic art not so much!

anyway, dems my rambling thoughts

I would agree with Bird on the effect of the passage of time being a factor in moving on from a fascination.  There is so much out there!

Price inflation also plays a huge role for my collection, as I am less willing to trade any old "keepers" for new acquisitions since they are

my sentimental favorites now.   Fixed income kind of has me at a disadvantage in the heated current market.

I did always want an Alex Raymond (anything!), but now I can't justify it.

I am just grateful for what I was able to grab during the run-up to today's scene.

Hannigan liked to fool with the title.

Hannigan and Giordano.

David

bativyhalf.jpg

LINK to the CAF Gallery Shot

Cover for Batman (DC, 1940 series) #367 [Newsstand]

Edited by aokartman
pics and link added

3 hours ago, Stefanomjr said:

Yes. Easier and more quickly than you might imagine too.

3 hours ago, Stefanomjr said:

Is there an example or artist you wanted - never managed to get - and now are okay (even happy) about it?

I could make a huge list, but instead just three quick examples:

1. Romita, Jr. Contest of Champions limited series
  2. Layton Hercules limited series
  3. Cockrum Nightcrawler limited series

What these all have in common are nostalgic sweet spot for my early years collecting comics. Nothing special art, nothing special story, nothing much special anything actually...just fun early 1980s stuff. And when I began collecting art a decade later, this level of nice interiors would have been 75 bucks per, even less maybe? Covers a few hundred and splashes somewhere in between. All for costumes too, not talking heads filler. So those joined the massive list I used to have of fun stuff that I could pick up when/where they appeared "in that range" (which wasn't even in question, nobody was adding zeroes for the future back then ;) ). Except none did. And only now many years later do we see this stuff hitting the auction block and going for -let's be honest- dumb money. But that's how it is. And I moved on many, many years ago, honing my taste and interest toward specific quality and variegation; unless this stuff was back at those old levels, thus still being "fun"...instead of an investment (blah -bad investment!)...I'm just not interested. That's not a flipping statement, I'd buy and keep till death do us part any of that stuff for "fun" money. No problem. But that's not happening!

My understanding is that most of you newer guys don't even bother with huge "fun" lists to begin with, I guess that's a relic of a bygone collecting era? Maybe it's because of what we older folks did...ran everything up enough ++ and then mostly refuse to sell anyway, that you now have to wait for people to die before you even get "a shot" and then you still have to skip a mortgage payment or three just to be under bidder. Is it really fun? It wouldn't be for me. But I guess I knew, and you guys never did?

Just now, exitmusicblue said:

The new "fun" money is 200-300.

I know. I buy there too. Often.

But it adds up fast if you're not making a 10%er income. I expect us older guys can pull that off but the new kids late 20s...?

Old days, I was getting at least one package "in" a day, sometimes 2-3...that slowed to 4-5/wk 2008-10 and it more like 1-2/wk now. Still 100 pieces a year, at least, but at 200-300...20-30k of "fun" and that's not including the vintage premiums I'm paying on top, often, as I'm not really buying "fun" 100 times a year. Probably more like 25. I'm not sure I could find 100 pieces for 200-300 a year that I actually want. No word balloons, inks over photocopy, etc...after the first 25 the "desirability" drops pretty fast.

just keep your eyes open and stick to the hobby and you will find things that make old wants just that, old wants. I have one nice Toppi now and am on the lookout for more (just missed on those two last week or whatever but I set my bids and waited, missed by that much) and that has pushed some other things off my radar.

Just now, Bird said:

I have one nice Toppi now and am on the lookout for more (just missed on those two last week or whatever but I set my bids and waited, missed by that much) and that has pushed some other things off my radar.

The sequential example was a gem! (I did not win it.) The other...not to my liking, so many pin-upish Toppis out there.

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

The sequential example was a gem! (I did not win it.) The other...not to my liking, so many pin-upish Toppis out there.

Yes, I have a pinup one. Some of those I really like and some not so much. The sequential page was great, I liked it a lot. I was underbidder on one (I think the sequential) and $75 under (2nd underbidder) on the other. He is so out of my realm, this is a great example of going to art con and learning. Scott Eder's table in particular has caused me to pay attention to some artists I may not have had on my radar too much otherwise. So now I can underbid on this stuff and not the stuff I use to lose out on!!! :sumo:

38 minutes ago, Bird said:

So now I can underbid on this stuff and not the stuff I use to lose out on!!! 

I lose 98 or 99 auctions a year week -almost always "first loser"- and win one or two lol

Edited by vodou
whoopsie!

BWS Conan

Moons ago Albert Moy had a page from # 1 and I tried to save up but gone!!

Then the purchase of issue 6 and the subsequent dispute between buyer and auction house.

Somehow I just lost interest. 

I see them now. I can buy one. I just don’t have the same fire for BWS Conan that I once did.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, Stefanomjr said:

A take on a current CGC thread. Being relatively new, I'm curious to hear from folks that been at this for a long while.

There aren't too many artists that I've wanted, never managed to get, and am now OK with it.  Maybe Steranko (Nick Fury), Simonson (Thor...I have a sketch, but, have never owned a published piece), Kevin Eastman (TMNT) and Dave Gibbons (Watchmen...again, I own a sketch, but, have somehow never owned a page from the series).  

More common are artists which I used to own, don't own anymore, and am OK with that.  These include:  Frank Frazetta, Boris Vallejo, Alberto Vargas, Todd McFarlane, Earl Norem, Gonzalo Mayo, Gabriele Dell'Otto, John Romita Sr. (pencils - I still own a cover inked by him), Wally Wood, Mike Ploog, Mort Kunstler, Steve Lightle, Mike Mignola, Stan Goldberg, Tom Chantrell, Kent Williams, Nick Cardy, Steve Epting and Bernie Wrightson, among others.  Not that I would turn away a great opportunity to get, say, a nice Wrightson piece if it fell into my lap, but, I'm not actively searching for any art from either of the above artist lists these days, and am not counting on ever owning any art by these artists again (now being several years past my peak collecting days and in a multi-year process of paring down my collection by (ideally) about a third from its peak size).:sorry: 

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

.. (now being several years past my peak collecting days and in a multi-year process of paring down my collection by (ideally) about a third from its peak size).:sorry: 

Yes we know. You're all about this now...

image.png.482b1e509b92b7fba2e292a03a05a68e.png

On 10/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, Stefanomjr said:

No. 
But, I have gotten pickier, and I have skipped pieces from artists I wanted if the page did not measure up. Early on, I would not do that. Still waiting for the right Perez piece, for example. 

Edited by Rick2you2

17 hours ago, vodou said:

Yes we know. You're all about this now...

image.png.482b1e509b92b7fba2e292a03a05a68e.png

lol 

I'm like one auction win away from completing my D&D collection.  After that, it's going to be 95% sports cards, 5% OA I think. :whatthe: 

17 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

After that, it's going to be 95% sports cards, 5% OA I think. :whatthe: 

Question: How much of sports cards is actual interest in the hobby/product and how much is flip-driven ripeness potentiality?

I mean "your personal interest" - not the current market itself. Hoping for an honest answer.

Asking because I have zero interest in baseball if I'm not playing. No interest in going to games, watching games, following players/stats, teams, line-ups, trades, batting order, "scandals" (who's texting who other's wife to 'hook up' while being benched for a game), etc etc etc. That's why I have no interest in the cards/product today.

30 years ago was different: baseball (and other sports) cards were a cheap entry hobby, fun, colorful, and had the same seemingly obvious price increase potential that new comics did -at the time. We now know that was a lot of hot air -in both hobbies, and it all bled out the following decade. I learned a lot from the collapse of both bubbles and will never again play where I don't personally legitimately collect as well. I do wonder about my peers (age, education, general "love of collecting 'anything'!") that may see things different than I do, even with the same relative previous hobby experiences.

I’ve noticed all the D&D talk. Didn’t know it had become so collectible. I’ll have to dig out those old modules and books, and see if I have something cool.

I never got around to getting some of those 90s Marvel (then Image) style artists like Liefield or Larson, etc. There’s definitely very cool stuff there (Savage Dragon, McFarlane), but I’ve mostly grown out of the style, and don’t really look anymore.