• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which artists did you like but never represented in your collection, and now you're okay with that, and why?
1 1

65 posts in this topic

#1 with a bullet on this list for me is Frazetta.

I figured when I started I'd get some piece by him even if not an oil.     Fast forward the years and I'm less interested, prices have gone way up, the value proposition isn't there.      I'm not interested in scrap doodles by anybody  just to say I have a scrap doodle and the higher price stuff I can't afford/justify/accept the opportunity cost.

Truthfully though, there's a lot of names on this list for me personally.     I've gotten interested in other things and the "need to have" factor wrt to anything outside my core interests is pretty low.

Edited by Bronty

On 10/13/2020 at 10:28 AM, delekkerste said:

lol 

I'm like one auction win away from completing my D&D collection.  After that, it's going to be 95% sports cards, 5% OA I think. :whatthe: 

I know nothing about the market for D&D modules and that.   What can you share about it.    Grails/ record prices / trends? etc

14 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Truthfully though, there's a lot of names on this list for me personally.

Me: Van Gogh, Picasso, Cezanne. In that order. I'll take the a fully realized oil (or exceptional "study") only, no three pen-stroke doodles of the house-cat or something lol

Now, Warhol...actually possible if you don't have to have the soaring 30' ceilings required to contain a monster Marilyn, Jackie or Mao.

14 minutes ago, vodou said:

no three pen-stroke doodles of the house-cat or something lol

yeah, that's precisely why I have no interest in frazetta.     I don't want anything nice badly enough to pay what would for me be a massive cost, and the stuff I could throw 'who cares' money at would get a 'who cares' response out of me.    

Which all adds up to... 'why bother.'

Edited by Bronty

52 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I know nothing about the market for D&D modules and that.   What can you share about it.    Grails/ record prices / trends? etc

I'm not a D&D expert by any means, but, from my shallow dive into the market, I can tell you that the category has been rising in price in recent years due to Ready Player One, Stranger Things, etc. (there have also been recent comics like Die and The Realm - not the '80s comic of the same name for the latter) rekindling nostalgic interest in the game.  But, as with sports cards and other collectibles, the pandemic/lockdown has turbocharged the D&D market with bored nostalgia seekers stuck at home with trillions of dollars of fiscal and monetary stimulus doled out and a reduced menu of things to spend it on (not to minimize the very real plight of the bottom 60% of the country that is really suffering these days).  

As such, everything is a lot more expensive than it was a year ago. Shrinkwrapped vintage modules and sets in particular have gone ballistic from what I've seen, as well as the early woodgrain and white box sets of the original game. 

I had already procured 4 of the 5 main original AD&D hardcovers and a number of basic & expert sets (from 1978, 1980, 1983) prior to 2020.  During the lockdown, I procured a late printing of the white box set (1977), the one AD&D hardcover I was missing (Deities & Demigods), and all 31 of the modules from the early 1980s that were published in the specific style/format that I remember most nostalgically (no real interest in collecting the original monochrome modules that came before or the more modern-looking modules that came after).  At this point, I have everything and a bit more from the D&D world that pushes my nostalgic buttons; I'm hoping to pick up one more thing to round out my collection, but, then I'm going to call it a day in terms of D&D collecting.  

That said, I want to organize at some point a big D&D campaign on Zoom (maybe even hiring a third-party Dungeon Master if necessary) - collecting stuff is great, but, I actually want to experience the thrill of playing the game again at least one more time. :cloud9: 

Edited by delekkerste

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I'm not a D&D expert by any means, but, from my shallow dive into the market, I can tell you that the category has been rising in price in recent years due to Ready Player One, Stranger Things, etc. (there have also been recent comics like Die and The Realm - not the '80s comic of the same name for the latter) rekindling nostalgic interest in the game.  But, as with sports cards and other collectibles, the pandemic/lockdown has turbocharged the D&D market with bored nostalgia seekers stuck at home with trillions of dollars of fiscal and monetary stimulus doled out and a reduced menu of things to spend it on (not to minimize the very real plight of the bottom 60% of the country that is really suffering these days).  

As such, everything is a lot more expensive than it was a year ago. Shrinkwrapped vintage modules and sets in particular have gone ballistic from what I've seen, as well as the early woodgrain and white box sets of the original game. 

I had already procured 4 of the 5 main original AD&D hardcovers and a number of basic & expert sets (from 1978, 1980, 1983) prior to 2020.  During the lockdown, I procured a white box set (1977), the one AD&D hardcover I was missing (Deities & Demigods), and all 31 of the modules from the early 1980s that were published in the specific style/format that I remember most nostalgically (no real interest in collecting the original monochrome modules that came before or the more modern-looking modules that came after).  At this point, I have everything and a bit more from the D&D world that pushes my nostalgic buttons; I'm hoping to pick up something unspecified to round out my collection, but, then I'm going to call it a day in terms of D&D collecting.  

That said, I want to organize at some point a big D&D campaign on Zoom (maybe even hiring a third-party Dungeon Master if necessary) - collecting stuff is great, but, I actually want to experience the thrill of playing the game again at least one more time. :cloud9: 

did a short look at ebay auctions.

I see this unused set went for $2k.   Doesn't seem that crazy even if it was cheaper before.   $2k buys sweet eff all these days.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dungeons-amp-Dragons-Basic-Set-TSR-Games-1977-F115-R-Complete-Never-Played-/114384140975?hash=item1aa1d37aaf%3Ag%3ARzkAAOSwlx9fTEaN&nma=true&si=80qIoRLTBNhYBqw6DDVMJRxb2Ho%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Lots of other stuff in the $1k-$1500 range.   One outlier for 11k of a pre D&D gygax game in mint.

What else have you seen that's interesting or notable?

6 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

How is it that nobody is already doing this? Seems so obvious.

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I see this unused set went for $2k.   Doesn't seem that crazy even if it was cheaper before.   $2k buys sweet eff all these days.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dungeons-amp-Dragons-Basic-Set-TSR-Games-1977-F115-R-Complete-Never-Played-/114384140975?hash=item1aa1d37aaf%3Ag%3ARzkAAOSwlx9fTEaN&nma=true&si=80qIoRLTBNhYBqw6DDVMJRxb2Ho%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Lots of other stuff in the $1k-$1500 range.   One outlier for 11k of a pre D&D gygax game in mint.

Evidently @delekkerste is now following my footsteps the last 25 years (in comic art)...he's become a (D&D) value investor ;)

Now, now - hold your horses...I know you're not investing (@delekkerste), just making a funny. @Bronty is correct $2k is NOTHING in most hobbies these days. So scoring nice, early, unused product from over 40 years ago for $2kish...that's really nice. But, like baseball, I never cared a whit about hiding in the woods, popping zits, imagining being a "cleric", but more power to the rest of you!

13 minutes ago, vodou said:

Evidently @delekkerste is now following my footsteps the last 25 years (in comic art)...he's become a (D&D) value investor ;)

Now, now - hold your horses...I know you're not investing (@delekkerste), just making a funny. @Bronty is correct $2k is NOTHING in most hobbies these days. So scoring nice, early, unused product from over 40 years ago for $2kish...that's really nice. But, like baseball, I never cared a whit about hiding in the woods, popping zits, imagining being a "cleric", but more power to the rest of you!

I am not a D&D guy either and never have been but I'd buy that set for $2k for shyts n giggles.  That's got room to move up if that's the "crazy"  post-covid price.

I see there's another one on ebay at $1500 but with some knocks and sealed with some corner wear and i don't know enough to know if that seal is genuine.  Tape strips on the back seem weird too?   Meh.   

Edited by Bronty

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

...but I'd buy that set for $2k for shyts n giggles. 

I wouldn't but can easily see the appeal, even absent comparisons to comic art.

8 minutes ago, Bronty said:

That's got room to move up if that's the "crazy"  post-covid price.

To each their own, but I don't speculate in places that I'm not "steeped in the lore" that drives The Market.

(I learned the folly of that in sports cards!)

And $2kish is too much for me to lay up "just for fun". But I could see myself getting in there somewhere for something. My interest would be in that early crude art and packaging before it all became DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!!!!!!!(TM)

5 minutes ago, vodou said:

I wouldn't but can easily see the appeal, even absent comparisons to comic art.

To each their own, but I don't speculate in places that I'm not "steeped in the lore" that drives The Market.

(I learned the folly of that in sports cards!)

And $2kish is too much for me to lay up "just for fun". But I could see myself getting in there somewhere for something. My interest would be in that early crude art and packaging before it all became DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!!!!!!!(TM)

Ehh.   I like that box with the dragon (the image) and the red book too.     

But yeah, I'd probably buy it and get sick of it or whatever and eventually sell it.   I have enough oddly shaped stuff from collecting art. 

Thanks for saving me 2k. lol

I think its probably a good buy as its a great image and like we discussed 2k aint much.   But.. whatever.

Edited by Bronty

On 10/13/2020 at 10:55 AM, vodou said:

Question: How much of sports cards is actual interest in the hobby/product and how much is flip-driven ripeness potentiality?

I mean "your personal interest" - not the current market itself. Hoping for an honest answer.

Asking because I have zero interest in baseball if I'm not playing. No interest in going to games, watching games, following players/stats, teams, line-ups, trades, batting order, "scandals" (who's texting who other's wife to 'hook up' while being benched for a game), etc etc etc. That's why I have no interest in the cards/product today.

30 years ago was different: baseball (and other sports) cards were a cheap entry hobby, fun, colorful, and had the same seemingly obvious price increase potential that new comics did -at the time. We now know that was a lot of hot air -in both hobbies, and it all bled out the following decade. I learned a lot from the collapse of both bubbles and will never again play where I don't personally legitimately collect as well. I do wonder about my peers (age, education, general "love of collecting 'anything'!") that may see things different than I do, even with the same relative previous hobby experiences.

I was also into sports cards and comics during this time and always felt that cards were the better investment and comics were more fun. I had it backwards (as a lot did) but I did move away from sports cards and stayed with comics somewhat because I learned after the collapse of both markets that neither were great investments (although I might do alright when I finally get around to grading the stack of NM98's amongst other things) so I stayed with what was fun. I still enjoy pro sports, including baseball, but don't collect there at all. I will pick up a pack of cards or maybe a cheap box for the thrill of opening packs - once a year or so. I also need to go through my sports card collection (sitting all these years) to see what I might have worth putting in the effort to sell but I don't look forward to the research. 

44 minutes ago, Bronty said:

:whatthe: 

I have one of those unopened sets.  I probably paid $250 for it.  

There is a scarce series of modules from the early 1980s that were played at conventions...saw a set go for a few grand recently (not on eBay).

A plain Jane sealed red box basic set from 1983 recently went for $1600. :whatthe: :whatthe: 

Have seen numerous shrinkwrapped modules sell in the multiple hundreds, even close to a grand, even the later modules like L2 The Assassin's Knot (a copy sold recently for $393).  A G1-2-3 Against the Giants module with tattered shrinkwrap sold for $565 recently, like 10x+ prices from a few years ago.

Early woodgrain sets have soared in price.  

If the prices don't seem crazy, even if they were cheaper before...well, that's kind of the point!  Even with D&D and modern sports cards being as hot as they are now, if you roll into these hobbies now with vintage OA collector money, you will be a BSD (at least outside of the crazy refractor/relic/parallel segment of sports cards).  

Oh, and I forgot to mention - a week ago, Metropolis announced that it is getting into D&D collectibles in a big way.  I wonder if my telling Vincent about all the D&D stuff I've been buying had anything to do with that. hm 

Edited by delekkerste

46 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I had already procured 4 of the 5 main original AD&D hardcovers and a number of basic & expert sets (from 1978, 1980, 1983) prior to 2020.  During the lockdown, I procured a late printing of the white box set (1977), the one AD&D hardcover I was missing (Deities & Demigods), and all 31 of the modules from the early 1980s that were published in the specific style/format that I remember most nostalgically (no real interest in collecting the original monochrome modules that came before or the more modern-looking modules that came after).  At this point, I have everything and a bit more from the D&D world that pushes my nostalgic buttons; I'm hoping to pick up one more thing to round out my collection, but, then I'm going to call it a day in terms of D&D collecting.  

If you're in need of more players at any point, I'm raady. B-)

I scratched my itch for getting back into DnD last week when I went into my local hobby store and eavesdropped on a local game being run. Sure this was the stereotypical group of nerds we all remember from the 80s and as portrayed in movies, but 5 minutes of listening made me remember why some memories are left as such. I just couldn't take the theatrics seriously. 

That email from CC surely raised some eyebrows. I have posted about sealed miniatures here before and how shocked I was at the lack of a collector base for some damn nice box art with major nostalgia factor. I bought several Heritage green box sets for around 100; Noble Knight just listed one for 650. 

I have also spent three years visiting Games Workshop and other hobby stores telling myself I am going to start painting and war gaming again. It's all too much now. Too many choices, too many paints, the learning curve all too high. This compounds with age, which means my vision is declining (painting those eye balls, forget it), my time is very limited, and perhaps most relevant I am nearing the apogee of tolerance for useless stuff in my life (including all the furniture I've accumulated that is now worthless). More minis collecting dust, I don't know. All this makes sealed modules more appealing (no time to play, no care to read).

edit: to sort of bring this back OT, DnD and Dragonlance comic art is basically worthless.

Edited by cstojano