• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which artists did you like but never represented in your collection, and now you're okay with that, and why?
1 1

65 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, cstojano said:

I scratched my itch for getting back into DnD last week when I went into my local hobby store and eavesdropped on a local game being run. Sure this was the stereotypical group of nerds we all remember from the 80s and as portrayed in movies, but 5 minutes of listening made me remember why some memories are left as such. I just couldn't take the theatrics seriously. 

That email from CC surely raised some eyebrows. I have posted about sealed miniatures here before and how shocked I was at the lack of a collector base for some damn nice box art with major nostalgia factor. I bought several Heritage green box sets for around 100; Noble Knight just listed one for 650. 

I have also spent three years visiting Games Workshop and other hobby stores telling myself I am going to start painting and war gaming again. It's all too much now. Too many choices, too many paints, the learning curve all too high. This compounds with age, which means my vision is declining (painting those eye balls, forget it), my time is very limited, and perhaps most relevant I am nearing the apogee of tolerance for useless stuff in my life (including all the furniture I've accumulated that is now worthless). More minis collecting dust, I don't know. All this makes sealed modules more appealing (no time to play, no care to read).

edit: to sort of bring this back OT, DnD and Dragonlance comic art is basically worthless.

The DnD comic art may be worthless, but try finding an Elmore Dragonlance OA (my dream grail, that Raistlin and Crysania at dusk cover from the Legends trilogy).... would get close to or reach 6 figures.

8+ pieces of Stephen Fabian Ravenloft OA sold out in less than an hour when Mike Burkey posted them.

But spare yourself, aye...

Oh yes, I know this part well, which I guess is somewhat surprising that there isn't any cross-over effect. I have several of the DL Chronicles pages I've been trying to sell to no avail that have great scenes from the novels on them. I would think any of the DL calendar and most of the DL module cover images Elmore would approach 6 figures. 

8 hours ago, cstojano said:

I just couldn't take the theatrics seriously. 

Yes. At least when you go to the Theater...you'll see professionals at work, unless you choose to see amateurs ;)

...my vision is declining (painting those eye balls, forget it), my time is very limited, and perhaps most relevant I am nearing the apogee of tolerance for useless stuff in my life (including all the furniture I've accumulated that is now worthless)

Yes. The Wisdom that (usually) comes with age does tend to clarify a lot of things, doesn't it?

DnD and Dragonlance comic art is basically worthless.

Yes. Very small speedbump marking change in price off the artist's table to present value 30 years later.

Nice post.