• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horror Art! -hey it’s Halloween time
2 2

111 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

Continuing the countdown to Halloween, I’ve another piece for tonight.  I suppose I’m a bit of a broken record with all of the Sanjulian and Enric pieces, but horror is the subject. This image should look familiar to Warren fans. 

3BEC07F2-07F9-47C5-8626-CAE9883336BD.thumb.jpeg.2a2186c05bacfe8b318efd1d87362c6e.jpeg

Very cool...I wonder if this is the same one I commissioned from Enric and ended up selling to a European collector back in 2012? hm  Or, if not, I wonder how many recreations he did of this cover, which is one of his very best. 

Vic Fair prototype artwork for THE SHOUT (1978).

THE SHOUT is a 1978 British horror film directed by Jerzy Skolimowski, based on a short story by Robert Graves that was adapted for the screen by Michael Austin. The film was the first to be produced by Jeremy Thomas under his Recorded Picture Company banner.

Crossley (Alan Bates), a mysterious travelling man who invades the lives of a young couple, Rachel and Anthony Field (Susannah York and John Hurt). Anthony is a composer, who experiments with sound effects and various electronic sources in his secluded Devon studio. The couple provides hospitality to Crossley, but his intentions are gradually revealed as more sinister. He claims he has learned from an Aboriginal shaman how to produce a "terror shout" that can kill anyone who hears it unprotected.

The North Devon coastline, specifically Saunton Sands and Braunton Burrows, was used for the bulk of the location shooting. The church of St Peter in Westleigh Bideford used in church scenes

Producer Jeremy Thomas later remembered his experience making the film:

"Because I had a great director, and a quality piece of literature I managed to get a wonderful cast such as John Hurt and Alan Bates. Skolimowski had a sense of shooting style then, this was the second director who I had worked closely with, and it was fascinating watching Skolimowski work. He came from a Polish tradition, the Wajda Film School, he had a different background to other directors I had been working with in the cutting rooms or elsewhere. And it made the film much more creative to me. I saw it more as an artistic endeavour by him.

The film went to Cannes and won the Grand Prix de Jury. We were incredibly lucky and the film was appreciated by the jury. It was a very small festival then, nothing like the Cannes Film Festival of today, it was a small event in a cinema of 800 people or so."

The film's soundtrack is by Michael Rutherford and Tony Banks of the rock band Genesis. The central theme "From the Undertow" features on Banks's album A Curious Feeling.

upShqUPt_0610170556541gpadd.jpg