• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horror Art! -hey it’s Halloween time
2 2

111 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2020 at 1:45 PM, ShallowDan said:

NOTE: naughty parts on this one are covered by blood and a strategically placed candle, so I think it's okay to post, but if I'm violating board standards let me know.

With that out of the way, I'm a fan of the Mexican historietas perversas, which as you may know often leaned in heavily on lurid stories/art.  This is the painted cover for the anthology Relatos de Presidio (Prison Stories) issue 504, a story involving a satanic cult.  Pencils are by Oscar Bazaldua, when he was one of the workhorses of the Mexican comic industry, and it was painted by Guillermo Peimbert Chavez.

D58D6928-9C2F-4F55-8F04-BA3C0EDE90B2.jpeg.1f8c1fd081ab2b903863d8b7f59871b1.jpeg

Standards?

GALAXY HORROR (Italian release of the British 1969 movie, THE BODY STEALERS).

“Produced by Britain's Trigon Pictures, The Body Stealers (1969) stars Patrick Allen as Bob Megan, an investigator called in to solve a bizarre mystery: During training courses, British parachutists are disappearing in a strange red mist, leaving no trace. Even more mysterious is the fact that they later turn up, with their bodies filled with lethal doses of radiation. Megan, aided by Jim Radford (Neil Connery, brother of Sean Connery), begins an investigation, which uncovers an unearthly beauty Lorna Wilde who somehow is incapable of being photographed. Eventually, Megan and Radford discover that the parachutists are being kidnapped by aliens from the planet Mygon, who use the men to try to impregnate Mygonian women, thereby saving their dying civilization. Unfortunately, a side effect of this plan seems to be the irradiation of the earthlings. Megan exposes and foils the alien plan, but he also decides to lead an effort to discover a way of saving their race from extinction.”

With an image size of approximately 17” x 13”, this was an Italian re-designed poster artwork that differs significantly to the (rather sedate) original UK quad poster version.

Re-named GALAXY HORROR for its Italian release, the resulting advertising art dramatically enlivens what is basically a low-budget British science-fiction/Horror thriller that is both short on excitement and special effects. As such, the movie short-changed cinema-going audiences captivated by a poster image that is basically a cheat and had very little to do with the movie it was seeking to promote!

galaxy.jpg

23 minutes ago, The Voord said:

I'm going to end my contributions to this thread on  a different kind of Horror . . . . the Horror of War!

Renato Fratini's UK movie poster painting for the 1963 anti-war film, THE VICTORS.

This artwork has seen me issued with a few warnings and a temporary ban on these forums this past year . . . despite someone else posting an artwork showing full penetrative sex elsewhere.

Not sure if this contribution will stay put and it may well result in me getting another warning from the mod who seems oblivious to the fact that this was showcased on front of house cinema displays around the UK in 1963 . . . but wants to act as the arbiter of good taste (no doubt egged-on by someone here with a personal axe to grind . . . . Conspracy-Theory-Guy? . . . who wants to use moderation as a sword, not a shield).

Oh, well another warning and/or ban on the way ;)

C1lbPpi6_0203201345481sbpi.jpg

“Ask not, what your country can do for you...”

H A P P Y.  H A L L O W E E N.  🎃