• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOES HUMIDITY AFFECT SLABBED COMICS?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I just received a CGC slabbed comic. It was left at my front door for 2 hours, before I discovered it. It was raining outside. However, the box was left on my covered porch. When I went to open the box, I felt it was slightly damp. Inside the slab was wrapped tightly in 3 layers of plastic bubble wrap. The bubble wrap was neither damp nor wet. Could my new slabbed CGC comic be damaged in any way by the humidity, or is it fine due to the bubble wrap?

18 minutes ago, AwesomeSauce said:

I just received a CGC slabbed comic. It was left at my front door for 2 hours, before I discovered it. It was raining outside. However, the box was left on my covered porch. When I went to open the box, I felt it was slightly damp. Inside the slab was wrapped tightly in 3 layers of plastic bubble wrap. The bubble wrap was neither damp nor wet. Could my new slabbed CGC comic be damaged in any way by the humidity, or is it fine due to the bubble wrap?

I  think the book is fine.  

CGC slabs do not offer any more protection than a Mylite and Acid Free Board and they do not provide any additional UV protection.

All books, Raw or Slabbed need to be stored in the proper controlled environmental conditions for long term preservation... Constant proper Temp/Humidity, away from all heat sources, (including heater/AC vents), away from all UV light, not stored near water and not stored in an unfinished, non temp controlled attic, basement or garage.

They do make/sell UV protected frames for CGC books if you are looking to display in a room with windows.

If you did not see any condensation in the slab or water on the slab I would say your book is fine.

On 10/11/2020 at 4:18 PM, CreepingTerror said:

Isn't the slab sealed so water can't get in?

One would think, but a slab that was submerged long enough would allow water to seep into the wells.