• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics $100 or free
4 4

51 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, SOTIcollector said:

So many awesome suggestions.  

It's time to pick a winner.  How can I pick just one?  I can't.  So I'll pick two.  I just ordered another copy of the book, with a dust jacket, to replace my personal copy which has no dust jacket.  So soon I'll have two jacketless undercopies, and I'll therefore pick two winners.

First off, honorable mentions:  
BS Damutantman:  All-American (...Comics, ...Western, ...Men of War).  I love that the change of the title reflected changes in the industry over the years.  Most of the enduring titles stuck with a single genre, but this title evolved from strip reprints to superheroes to westerns to war as the industry changed, all the while maintaining at least a portion of its original name.
Golden Age Addict:  Marson & Wonder Woman    Certainly a rich source to draw from.  I like the contrast of a character who has come to represent an ideal strong, independent woman, and was supposed to be that when she was introduced, but whose early books are really just poorly-disguised S&M adventures.  
Barth:  WW2 propaganda covers I've lately started really enjoying and dreaming of owning some of these great WWII propaganda covers.  But realistically, that ship has sailed so I'll continue to just watch them longingly from the sidelines.  I'd love to read more about them!
KCOComics:  The Comics Code   Appeals to me for the same reasons SOTI books appeal to me.  The changes demanded by the Code neutered the comics industry for decades.  On the other hand, the Code indirectly brought about the Silver Age as publishers struggled to figure out what would sell now that they were forbidden to use "Weird" in their titles or put sweat beads on the foreheads of astronauts.
Fan Boy:  Atomic Age becoming Silver Age.  Again, this appeals to me for the same reason as the Code and SOTI chapters that were suggested.
Hudson:  Good Girl Art  Yes, yes. yes.  But how do you limit it to a chapter?  Maybe a chapter on Baker, and then a chapter on all the others, most of whom couldn't hold a candle to Baker? 
SkyPinkBlu:  Women in Comics.  Wait, what?  Isn't that what Hudson suggested?  Seriously, though, in a field dominated by men, there have also been amazing contributions by women.  I'm sure the list goes far beyond Lily Renee and Marie Severin, but sadly those are the only names that come to mind.  I'd love to see a chapter about women in comics!

...And the winners:

I have no way of knowing whether Winner #1 was just pandering to the judge.  It's possible.   And it worked.  Given that SOTI and near-death of the comic book industry in the 1950's are near and dear to my heart, I have to choose the SOTI chapter.  Congrats, Cushing Fan, for suggesting a Seduction of the Innocent chapter! 

And the Variant Winner #1 (it's not Winner #2, because that sounds like second place, which it's not. It's an equal first place)… Goes to the chapter dedicated to one of the most influential creators the industry ever had.  He didn't just work in the industry from the 1930's to the 1990's, he blazed trails.  He co-created the romance comic book, drew the cover to Captain America #1 (with that famous image of Cap punching Hitler at a time when America in general took an isolationist stance), and co-created multi-billion dollar mainstays of the Marvel Comics and Cinematic Universes like the FF, the Hulk, and the X-Men.  He was prolific, cranking out incredible work in the genres of crime, war, horror, monster books, and of course superheroes while inspiring literally (in the literal sense, not just in the figurative sense) generations of artists. Congrats to KirbyJack for suggesting the Jack Kirby chapter! 

So Cushing Fan and KirbyJack, just PM me your address and I'll send your books out in a week or so (after my new one arrives).  If you're outside the US, I'll get you a shipping quote.

And now that we have such great ideas for the proposed Volume 2 that somebody suggested, we just need somebody to pitch the idea to a publisher.  Oh, and we need an editor.  And a writer....Any volunteers?  Don't look at me, I have nothing to contribute to it.  I'll gladly buy it when it comes out, though.

Cheers!

Congrats to the winners! 

Really no bad answers anywhere. 

Cool idea for a thread and congrats to the winners! I might have to seek out a copy of this book now that I'm aware of it; it's pretty neat! And I'm completely serious in this: I'm a writer and also act as editor of a small university publication (not specific to or appropriate for this topic, but just stated to say I have the experience), and if someone every truly wanted to take up the mantle of organizing a second volume or companion to this piece, I'd definitely volunteer to help wherever possible. Thanks again @SOTIcollector!

4 hours ago, ECDC said:

Right on. Thanks for doing that and congratulations to the winners.  

That was cool. So nice to see someone doing something from the heart instead of from their wallet...Thank you KCOComics.

Jon

I would love to take credit, but this was all @SOTIcollector 

I agree though.  These types of things are fun and someone gets a cool piece of comic book history. 

5 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I would love to take credit, but this was all @SOTIcollector 

I agree though.  These types of things are fun and someone gets a cool piece of comic book history. 

Oh, ummm, oops.

I mean thanks @SOTIcollector!

if anyone else is interested, I just ordered a copy (w/o dust jacket) from thrift books.com they have 1 copy available at about $10 plus $.99 shipping. 

Really cool @SOTIcollector, sorry I messed that up.

On 10/13/2020 at 8:47 PM, SOTIcollector said:

So many awesome suggestions.  

It's time to pick a winner.  How can I pick just one?  I can't.  So I'll pick two.  I just ordered another copy of the book, with a dust jacket, to replace my personal copy which has no dust jacket.  So soon I'll have two jacketless undercopies, and I'll therefore pick two winners.

First off, honorable mentions:  
BS Damutantman:  All-American (...Comics, ...Western, ...Men of War).  I love that the change of the title reflected changes in the industry over the years.  Most of the enduring titles stuck with a single genre, but this title evolved from strip reprints to superheroes to westerns to war as the industry changed, all the while maintaining at least a portion of its original name.
Golden Age Addict:  Marson & Wonder Woman    Certainly a rich source to draw from.  I like the contrast of a character who has come to represent an ideal strong, independent woman, and was supposed to be that when she was introduced, but whose early books are really just poorly-disguised S&M adventures.  
Barth:  WW2 propaganda covers I've lately started really enjoying and dreaming of owning some of these great WWII propaganda covers.  But realistically, that ship has sailed so I'll continue to just watch them longingly from the sidelines.  I'd love to read more about them!
KCOComics:  The Comics Code   Appeals to me for the same reasons SOTI books appeal to me.  The changes demanded by the Code neutered the comics industry for decades.  On the other hand, the Code indirectly brought about the Silver Age as publishers struggled to figure out what would sell now that they were forbidden to use "Weird" in their titles or put sweat beads on the foreheads of astronauts.
Fan Boy:  Atomic Age becoming Silver Age.  Again, this appeals to me for the same reason as the Code and SOTI chapters that were suggested.
Hudson:  Good Girl Art  Yes, yes. yes.  But how do you limit it to a chapter?  Maybe a chapter on Baker, and then a chapter on all the others, most of whom couldn't hold a candle to Baker? 
SkyPinkBlu:  Women in Comics.  Wait, what?  Isn't that what Hudson suggested?  Seriously, though, in a field dominated by men, there have also been amazing contributions by women.  I'm sure the list goes far beyond Lily Renee and Marie Severin, but sadly those are the only names that come to mind.  I'd love to see a chapter about women in comics!

...And the winners:

I have no way of knowing whether Winner #1 was just pandering to the judge.  It's possible.   And it worked.  Given that SOTI and near-death of the comic book industry in the 1950's are near and dear to my heart, I have to choose the SOTI chapter.  Congrats, Cushing Fan, for suggesting a Seduction of the Innocent chapter! 

And the Variant Winner #1 (it's not Winner #2, because that sounds like second place, which it's not. It's an equal first place)… Goes to the chapter dedicated to one of the most influential creators the industry ever had.  He didn't just work in the industry from the 1930's to the 1990's, he blazed trails.  He co-created the romance comic book, drew the cover to Captain America #1 (with that famous image of Cap punching Hitler at a time when America in general took an isolationist stance), and co-created multi-billion dollar mainstays of the Marvel Comics and Cinematic Universes like the FF, the Hulk, and the X-Men.  He was prolific, cranking out incredible work in the genres of crime, war, horror, monster books, and of course superheroes while inspiring literally (in the literal sense, not just in the figurative sense) generations of artists. Congrats to KirbyJack for suggesting the Jack Kirby chapter! 

So Cushing Fan and KirbyJack, just PM me your address and I'll send your books out in a week or so (after my new one arrives).  If you're outside the US, I'll get you a shipping quote.

And now that we have such great ideas for the proposed Volume 2 that somebody suggested, we just need somebody to pitch the idea to a publisher.  Oh, and we need an editor.  And a writer....Any volunteers?  Don't look at me, I have nothing to contribute to it.  I'll gladly buy it when it comes out, though.

Cheers!

Wow! Thank you so much SOTIcollector! Although my personal collection leans heavily in the silver age superhero category, I have always been drawn to the lurid covers and topics of the SOTI books. I think all the fellow contestants put in many great ideas as well - perhaps someone could write a new book with all the proposed topics!