• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics $100 or free
4 4

51 posts in this topic

Wow I've never heard of this before but it's pretty nifty.

My personal nomination would be All-American (comics, westerns, and men of war). I'm biased because it's my favorite DC GA run, but hear me out: there are several notable first appearances, the whole collection spans from early GA to late SA, and you get this really clear case study which shows changing readership interests w.r.t. time (superheroes, sidekicks/animals, westerns, and war).  

My first thought was Timely/Marvel but that was already suggested. Besides was probably left out for copyright purposes. 

So I will go with Misc publishers like MLJ, Ace, Harvey and others. All the cool forgotton heroes that are so popular today. Heck, MLJ spawned Archie. Next to Supes/Bat/Mickey Mouse maybe the most successful of comic book characters.

Hi There,

The price of free is very tempting.

Perhaps I could pay $10 for the book and also pay for slow (low-cost) shipping.

My email address is paul.r.temby@gmail.com.

I live in San Diego.

Email or call  me if you would like to part with the book.

Thanks,

Paul Temby

1-858-354-4557

I'd do a chapter on Plop! and its crossover appeal in the horror and satire genres - DC horror books, MAD, etc. Basil Wolverton is already in there so it'd be a great segue, and "The Gourmet" story from Plop! #1 still haunts me - and that'd give Bernie Wrightson some due props too. This is a super cool book!

You can count me out on the competition, as I already have a copy.  But my suggestion for what the book is missing?

Some Feldstein-edited New Trend EC stories.  For all that I personally prefer the Kurtzman edited material, the book's 5 EC stories should not be four pieces by Kurtzman & crew and "Master Race" as the only story from the Feldstein side of the shop.  Judgement Day and a couple of pieces from Shock Suspenstories would probably fit the bill perfectly.