• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most collected title?
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Valiantman does a great job at crunching the numbers from the CGC census, but I was wondering what people actually collect and not necessarily slab.  I would venture that it would be Amazing Spider-Man, but who knows, maybe Action Comics or Superman comics are more collected.  In moderns, is it Walking Dead or others?  What do you think?

37 minutes ago, Summydad1 said:

I would guess Spider-Man across all ages. Just a guess. Maybe Batman. 

I agree. 

Batman is probably #1.

Spiderman may be more widely collected but I gave batman the knod because he appeals to GA collectors as well. 

Just now, KCOComics said:

I agree. 

Batman is probably #1.

Spiderman may be more widely collected but I gave batman the knod because he appeals to GA collectors as well. 

Yep. That’s what I was thinking. Batman has a couple decade head-start on Spidey.

Amazing Spider-man

While I understand the argument for Batman, collecting a full run of ASM is still more accessible and somewhat affordable for more collectors than trying to do a Batman run. 

However, when I see things like ASM 300 in CGC 9.8 (direct copy!) sell for $4900 last night, I believe that ASM is quickly becoming unobtainable.  This means that collectors will start becoming turned off at trying to collect the character deep into his flagship title.

What to look for?

X-Men... I have my issue 1 so I am comfortable saying this.  I believe that once mutants appear in the MCU that collectors are going to start looking for runs on this title.   The question is do they start collecting with issue 94 or 1?   X-Men is far more affordable and obtainable than ASM. 

14 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Valiantman does a great job at crunching the numbers from the CGC census, but I was wondering what people actually collect and not necessarily slab.  I would venture that it would be Amazing Spider-Man, but who knows, maybe Action Comics or Superman comics are more collected.  In moderns, is it Walking Dead or others?  What do you think?

Sales of Golden Age books for Superman and Batman were in the hundreds of millions, but 99% didn't survive, so when it comes to books surviving to be collected today we would expect most to be Silver Age and newer.  From that point in time, Spider-Man leads far above all others.

6 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Skull the Slayer hands down right?  I think it's Amazing Spider-man but is X-Men in the running as well...What about DC? ....Batman??

Any future collectibility of Skull The Slayer vanished with issue #4 when new writer Steve Englehart turned the storyline on it’s ear and “killed” the supporting characters.  :cry:

23 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Amazing Spider-man

While I understand the argument for Batman, collecting a full run of ASM is still more accessible and somewhat affordable for more collectors than trying to do a Batman run. 

However, when I see things like ASM 300 in CGC 9.8 (direct copy!) sell for $4900 last night, I believe that ASM is quickly becoming unobtainable.  This means that collectors will start becoming turned off at trying to collect the character deep into his flagship title.

What to look for?

X-Men... I have my issue 1 so I am comfortable saying this.  I believe that once mutants appear in the MCU that collectors are going to start looking for runs on this title.   The question is do they start collecting with issue 94 or 1?   X-Men is far more affordable and obtainable than ASM. 

I suspect the cost of asm 1-3 is far more of an obstacle in collecting asm than whatever a 9.8 newstand 300 is.   

ASM followed by X-Men would be my pick.  I am probably the oddball from my generation since I didn't collect X-Men outright, but looking at my own collection these are the top 5 titles and the number of issues I have:

ASM - 149 (Includes vol 1, vol 2 and annuals)

Defenders - 132

Marvel Two-In-One - 100

Captain America - 92 (Includes vol 1, vol 5)

Wonder Woman - 64