• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to save it? U.K copy of Marvel presents Bloodstone 1
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello all

Going through this collection for weeks and I stumbled upon a marvel presents bloodstone #1 a while back from the U.K. The book is in satisfactory condition overall, but sadly, the cover is completely detached. I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to deal with this. The staples are perfectly fine and intact. Aside from the cover being detached at the staples, the book would have been something I'd have kept. Going forward with it, I'm trying to figure out how someone collecting the book, would have preferred it. Would it be preferred to go so far as to add new staple points to make the book whole again? Aside from having a book pressed, I have never worked on a book in terms of resto and I have never had one restored either. This would be a first. Thoughts? 

20201012_193847_resized_edited.jpg

Edited by Timeless icons

11 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

Hello all

Going through this collection for weeks and I stumbled upon a marvel presents bloodstone #1 a while back from the U.K. The book is in satisfactory condition overall, but sadly, the cover is completely detached. I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to deal with this. The staples are perfectly fine and intact. Aside from the cover being detached at the staples, the book would have been something I'd have kept. Going forward with it, I'm trying to figure out how someone collecting the book, would have preferred it. Would it be preferred to go so far as to add new staple points to make the book whole again? Aside from having a book pressed, I have never worked on a book in terms of resto and I have never had one restored either. This would be a first. Thoughts? 

20201012_193847_resized_edited.jpg

Oh, it's annoying that isn't it - detached staples on a otherwise lovely book. I've had a few like that down the years. I remember a 9p JIM that was absolutely pristine with the most delightful firmness to it and yet it was detached at the bottom staple rendering it virtually valueless. Your book isn't a particularly pricey one so there's little reason to restore it from a financial perspective in my view. If you just love the book however, I'd leave it as is and just enjoy it. It has nice eye appeal other than the flaw and will look nice in a bag. But if the flaw really bugs you - and it would many - I'd pop it in as a free reader with the next book you sell on eBay, if you do that kind of thing (that's what I did with mine).

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Interesting question.

I honestly have no clue how I would like it kept. I know that I don't want to keep the cover detached, but how would I want it reattached!?

Well, my thought at this point was... no value at this point as Marwood said but I still wanted to attempt to save it to where ever it goes. Had it not been a U.K. copy, I probably would have just recycled it or perhaps used the cover to do something creative but I do like these variant copies and I know others do as well so my next thought was to try and at least keep it intact for the next person who I gave it to. The staples being added seemed to be the cleanest solution. :)

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Oh, it's annoying that isn't it - detached staples on a otherwise lovely book. I've had a few like that down the years. I remember a 9p JIM that was absolutely pristine with the most delightful firmness to it and yet it was detached at the bottom staple rendering it virtually valueless. Your book isn't a particularly pricey one so there's little reason to restore it from a financial perspective in my view. If you just love the book however, I'd leave it as is and just enjoy it. It has nice eye appeal other than the flaw and will look nice in a bag. But if the flaw really bugs you - and it would many - I'd pop it in as a free reader with the next book you sell on eBay, if you do that kind of thing (that's what I did with mine).

The free reader is a good idea. That's a heartbreaking story to hear that about a JIM as I absolutely love those Jim covers. Since its going to drive me nuts looking at it as is, I'll pass it along and leave it up to them to decide. 

@theCapraAegagrus 

@Get Marwood & I 

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. (thumbsu