• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you happy with the focus of your collection?
2 2

68 posts in this topic

Are you happy with the focus of your collection? Do you ever wish you had more discipline in a certain area/genre? If so what would it be? There are times I look at a collector like bigfiver69 and think how cool it would’ve been to really focus on silver and bronze war books. Or Silver and his awesome collection of SA DC superhero books.

Instead my collection is really all over the place. I’m not complaining but there are times I’ve thought about switching it all up. 

Yes. I have kept it fairly broad: early '50's comic books so that sometimes it's War then Funny Animals then Western then Four Color then back to War. Maybe that's clearly not focus as you want to define it but that's what defines my collection. This has allowed me to not get frustrated when progress somewhere is not feasible and instead I can redirect my attention to another vein in this deep mine. I end up with a collection that might seem all over the place but that is never despairingly so. They all fit within the overall goal.

Yes-I love curt swan with the good inkers and I have most of those.  I love kirby and I have most of the SA and BA stuff that is affordable and reprints like marvels greatest comics of the unaffordable stuff.  I have Thor from abt 100 to 177-his last issue.  I have most of barry smith's stuff.  I have a good collection of 80s stuff when creativity exploded-unrecognized gems like Nexus.

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I have been very diligent about keeping my collection a certain way. So yes I am very happy how I have amassed my collection. 

:ohnoez:

Edited by kav

I'll be happy by the end of 2020. My Collected Editions collection will be seemingly complete.

I have all of Spawn's books, and a roughly equal amount of DC and Marvel on my shelves. I'm working on a certain genre/series that I'm keeping hush-hush until I have the rare books.

Financial, storage and availability constraints mean that I no longer collect what I would like to in my heart, but the small niche that I have settled upon keeps me busy, happy and in the hobby - albeit, I feel, very much on the fringes. 

21 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Financial, storage and availability constraints mean that I no longer collect what I would like to in my heart, but the small niche that I have settled upon keeps me busy, happy and in the hobby - albeit, I feel, very much on the fringes

Yes but we know you are out there and we appreciate that!

I like where my collection is. I have thought about the possibility that if I sold about 1000 books I own, I could probably get my ASM run done. But to do that would mean selling books that I still love owning and enjoy so...maybe I never get there but the hunt will continue. I enjoy having a diverse collection. 

I love all my stuff, and I don't even have anything in particular I want to buy anymore.  

I can say that I wish I was a condition freak while I was collecting in the 80s and 90s. Back in the day, I was more about quantity over ultimate quality...I wanted runs of stuff rather than the best copies available.  With the books I had available to me back then, I could likely have retired right now with prices being realized.

Good to hear most folks are for the most part satisfied with their collection.

Forgot to mention yesterday Warren Magazines. There are times I’ve thought I should sell everything off and start going after complete runs of Famous Monsters, Creepy, Eerie, Blazing Combat, Vampirella etc.etc. and of course Mad and Cracked.

It’ll never happen but my mind does wonder.

Just now, Monstro said:

Good to hear most folks are for the most part satisfied with their collection.

Forgot to mention yesterday Warren Magazines. There are times I’ve thought I should sell everything off and start going after complete runs of Famous Monsters, Creepy, Eerie, Blazing Combat, Vampirella etc.etc. and of course Mad and Cracked.

It’ll never happen but my mind does wonder.

It's not too late, however I do feel that they will take off quite a bit. I mean just look at Vampirella #1's these days.

Definitely happy with my focus. I pick up random other books if I like the characters and can find a decent low-grade copy of their first appearance (especially X-related chars), but otherwise, my main focus is completing a full run of Uncanny X-Men (in decent-to-me grades), and at this point, I'm around 75-80%, just missing big chunks of the 2-110 range and maybe 12-15 books from 200-600. And I grab other random X-related titles, but still, UXM is it for me. It wasn't my first comic (that was a Marvel Masterworks #1 with AF15 and ASM 1-10), but it's definitely the title I latched on to the most as a kid when I started collecting.

My collection is getting out of hand 16,ooo books and counting. I have been trying to fill runs but have ended up with many doubles and even triples of books I need to sell some of it off and refocus the money on some of the higher end key titles. It is all stored in my office and I am running out of room. I do wish I had collected more of a exact area of books but my collection is all over the place. Do I sell all of the stuff that is not as important to me and buy the more desirable books? 

8 minutes ago, DINGER033 said:

My collection is getting out of hand 16,ooo books and counting. I have been trying to fill runs but have ended up with many doubles and even triples of books I need to sell some of it off and refocus the money on some of the higher end key titles. It is all stored in my office and I am running out of room. I do wish I had collected more of a exact area of books but my collection is all over the place. Do I sell all of the stuff that is not as important to me and buy the more desirable books? 

I had about 7K books at one time and can't even imagine 16K :ohnoez:

Sold off most of them and refocused on a specific goal. Now I'm down to 5 short boxes; 4 boxes of slabs, 1 box of raws. Once they fill, something has to go before I add more.

Do I wish I would have saved a few that have spiked in value since then? Sure I do, who wouldn't. But for the most part, couldn't be happier about my decision.

Good luck man!

-bc

10 hours ago, kav said:

Yes-I love curt swan with the good inkers and I have most of those.  I love kirby and I have most of the SA and BA stuff that is affordable and reprints like marvels greatest comics of the unaffordable stuff.  I have Thor from abt 100 to 177-his last issue.  I have most of barry smith's stuff.  I have a good collection of 80s stuff when creativity exploded-unrecognized gems like Nexus.

You forgot that most of your collection revolves around your 2 favorite artists: Liefeld & Robbins! 

Like unexpected gems like this:

troll liefeld.jpe

Couldn't be happier with my collection. I keep the things I think are awesome and actively purge/sell anything that is anything less. It's "only" ~1,000 books, but I love every single one. I allow no junk, fillers, run completion issues, placeholders or "eh, this is kind of cool" stuff into my shortboxes. Why waste time/money/energy on borderline purchases when I could focus on something better?

It helps that I am not a completionist and have no interest in full runs.